Tourism victories

Anastase Alex

Warlord
Hi all!

I just wanted to talk about tourism victories. I have some tourism victories under my belt now, and wanted to share my thoughts about it. There are, for me, 2 ways to achieve tourism victory:

a) the religious, tall, wonder building empire empire

b) the wide, museum-filled warring monstrosity.

The first one requires you to take the +2 faith +2 tourism per world wonder tenant early on, to start amassing tourism against your neighbors, stockpiling great musicians until latter in the game, then blitz the most cultured enemy capital and perform a crapload of concerts once you have build an airport in your main wonders city (concerts give you ~ 10 turns worth of tourism I have noticed)

The second one is more of an early aggression empire, taking control of your continent, keeping only good cities of your opponents, then, an era before the museums are available, fill up the continent, letting your cities grow only to the point where they can maintain their happiness and costs by themselves, build museums and go crazy on archaeologists.

Both have worked pretty nice for me, but I have a slight preference for the first method.
I have been playing in King difficulty, but I think I will move up now and see if these tactics still work.
Might be significantly harder.

Anything I am missing?

EDIT: The reformation that gives +2 tourism per building bought by religion is amazing with a wide empire...

I played a tourism game once (on the base game without CEP) and followed that first strategy. Any wonder that gave tourism I was all over. I also tried to make sure that I got trade routes set up with any potential rivals with high culture.

Finding them early on is important too as you don't start accumulating tourism until you make contact with them.

Just a question for those not going for a tourism victory...
Does tourism have any tangible effect on the game? If you are influential against your neighbor does it do anything? If it doesn't do anything, then that makes tourism one of those all or nothing strategies. Kind of boring in that case.

I'd prefer it if at least some tourism was good for every strategy.

Just a question for those not going for a tourism victory...
Does tourism have any tangible effect on the game? If you are influential against your neighbor does it do anything? If it doesn't do anything, then that makes tourism one of those all or nothing strategies. Kind of boring in that case.

Most tourism sources also provide culture (eg each great work gives +2 culture) which helps you get policies and to resist others tourism.

Tourism contributes to causing ideological unhappiness in other civs, or (I think) to resisting ideological unhappiness.

Some tourism is always useful.

I really haven't had enough experience to comment really on tourism victories.

What it does seem to me is that there are quite few "theming" bonuses around, so if you fail to get those wonders, you're stuck with the museum (and Oxford University). It's a bit of a stale gameplay then, no? (also Musics don't get theming bonuses?)

What the tourism victory has been advertised for BNW is to make culture victory a) more active and b) more late-game, similar to how you can decide to go for Science and Diplo late-game. While a) is true (from archaelogists to the World Congress to taking out your enemy militarily...), b) doesn't seem true to me at all. As seen above, many strategies involve early-game constructing your religion the way you want it and you'd want to generate Great Works as early as possible (or conquer them :)).

That's okay of course, I'm just not used to it. (but I'd still wish for more tools other than military to anti-snowball a culture civ, like via the WC - a 'less tourism, more culture'-resolution?) but I'm getting into suggestions, this is strategy.

Yes, some of the reformation beliefs that give tourism can be very strong early on. But then if you manage to build all those wonders...

Btw. can we see somewhere the "number" of our tourism? Is that stored per city or nation-wide? If I want to lower someone's culture level, which of his or hers cities do I need to take (hint: something for my spy/diplomat to tell me ;)).

The "influence other civs" with tourism seems fine to me, unhappiness can hit you hard and from my limited experience does so to the AI.

What it does seem to me is that there are quite few "theming" bonuses around, so if you fail to get those wonders, you're stuck with the museum (and Oxford University). It's a bit of a stale gameplay then, no? (also Musics don't get theming bonuses?)

Yes, some of the reformation beliefs that give tourism can be very strong early on. But then if you manage to build all those wonders...

Btw. can we see somewhere the "number" of our tourism? Is that stored per city or nation-wide? If I want to lower someone's culture level, which of his or hers cities do I need to take (hint: something for my spy/diplomat to tell me ;)).

The "influence other civs" with tourism seems fine to me, unhappiness can hit you hard and from my limited experience does so to the AI.

The wonders are doable with the proper civilization, I think. I am better at wonder building in a tall empire, where I buy the buildings for a few cities, leaving production for wonders.

The number is seen when you go to the tourism screen, at influence by player. You have a white line representing your accumulated tourism and a purple line representing their accumulated culture. You hover above them and see how much you have and how much you generate.

Music does get theming bonuses if you build broadway. I generally produce my tourism more through faith than anything else. The theming bonuses are pretty small I find, and if you go wide for the museums, then it is easy to get theming bonuses through archeology.

:wallbash:

Didn't think of HOVERING over it... Sometimes civ5 UI is really not intuitive, I need the trade screen back asap... :)

Yeah, but the Broadway again is one wonder... If you miss out on one. And museum get filled with the same era + same civ artifacts, not something that makes you trade more or so, right? Can't get two Medieval Paintings from your Polish neighbour. If he has two, he won't give it to you. Then again, I only so far played on quick speed which might influence the number of Great Works per era a bit... (it should now that I think of it).

But you are right, religion does seem to be the most direct path to tourism

I thought Great Musician tourism-bomb strength was determined on when you generated them, so "stockpiling" them wasn't very effective if you generated a bunch of early Musicians.

In my personal experience, if I get an early Musician I generally pop them for a Great Work. Atomic/Modern/Information Age Musicians become tourism bombers.

I know is an old post but hey your second strategy is very efficient play as france but try to get the louvre and ufizy in your capital if you maximise the louvre is +16 theming bonus tourisme and culture
i was playing on continent or communitas map not sure and that was an easy win i was playing on deity and finish the game 10 turn after i build my first hotel was year 1750 or so ( i play with slomo 30) so i beleive you can finish even earlier
Love play as france not the best civ but i found filling those slot and achieve theming feel very rewarding and them UB castle if very very nice i prefer it to brasil and them camp id nuch more versatile and great for defense
Brazil is to slow for me and you almost have to be peacfull your production i usualy too low to my taste with france you dont have that problem

Top Bottom