1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Trading posts & City specialization

Discussion in 'Strategy Forum' started by Tomice, Aug 17, 2013.

1. Ahriman

Ahriman Tyrant

Ah, ok. Roads quest I'd agree (though I think they have to be within X tiles to even give out the road quest), and maybe faith or culture production quests. I'm not sure that bully or exploration are that much easier for wide (Tall can still explore outside their borders) and Wonder completion and most tech quests are probably easier for Tall.

IIRC you can never get a resource quest for a resource you already possess. I guess its easier to settle a new city for a new resource as Wide, but usually I end up fulfilling those quests by trades with other players or by a CS alliance, which work just as easily with Tall.

In terms of the AI flavors, IIRC the ally-city states civs are pretty evenly divided between wide ("Coalition") and Tall ("Diplomat")

Siam plays much better as Tall (or it did in GEM, with the GEM-style maritime city states), as food is usually the binding constraint for Tall, so food bonuses favor big cities.

I'm pretty sure that Thal also has them designed as Tall/Diplomat: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=502246

2. mitsho

mitsho Deity

I admit I hadn't looked it up, but in my two games where Siam was, they were pretty wide, guess dumb luck of AI personalities.

I'm saying I'd like City States to be easier for wide empires especially since Tall a) get more out of them and b) often have more free ressources to spend on them (no build up in new cities). I see this as an area where we can balance a little bit without risking to get back to ICS or whatever... ;)

PS: For roads quests, having to be within x tiles is an advantage for wide as well since it's a rather easy quest that Tall empires don't get for most CS. I could also see quests like have x (6?) museums/harbors/airports f.e.