1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Dismiss Notice
  6. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

Trading Posts

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by EgyptRaider, Apr 14, 2013.

1. EgyptRaider

EgyptRaider Chieftain

I've been hoping for a while that the cottage system of Civ IV would return, the Trading posts are just... mehhhh... and their look is a bit out of place for me. While I guess that the change of getting the cottage system back is small, I still hope that there will be changes to the Trading Posts..

Now I've noted that in every screenshot the trading post seems absent. Did I miss one hidden in a video preview or in a corner of the screenshot or are there really no trading posts sided? Can this indicate that they're either removed from the game, which makes sense with the new trade system, or that their concept is changed?

2. AriochIV

AriochIV Analyst

It is true that Trading Posts are conspicuously absent from every screenshot I've seen.

3. Petiscator

Petiscator Chieftain

I also looked for TPs and found none. I think there is something there. We saw a "fortified trading post" in that poster, maybe the cottage system IS back? What if, as time passes (or upon entering a new age) your TP becomes a fortified TP (?) and yields something else?

4. Ogenvi

Ogenvi Chieftain

There isn't any image of BNW which shows a trading post. I think that cottage system won't return with this expansion, and that is a shame.

5. Inhalaattori

Inhalaattori Chieftain

I think you should be able to build trading posts only along rivers and/or on the coast. It is stupid that you can spam them everywhere.

6. Securion

Securion Civ Veteran

Maybe Trade Routes will give enough gold so building TPs wont be necessary?
    God i hope so. TPs are so awful.

7. ferretbacon

ferretbacon Chieftain

And on roads. That makes the most sense.

8. strijder20

strijder20 Wallowing in irony

I actually think I saw a reference to that somewhere.

9. Hakan-i Cihan

Hakan-i Cihan Chieftain

I do agree partially. I hope that trade routes give part of the gold you could get from TP's. And the other part by a restricted cottage system replacing the TP's.

10. Muzzway

Muzzway Chieftain

I suspect it may just be for aesthetic purposes. I noticed that many of the hills are left unmined, as well. Notice the hills around Lisbon:
    Spoiler :

There aren't any lumber mills in Portugese borders, either.

Many people criticized Civ 5 for reducing meaningful choices for worker management. If they did actually remove trading posts from the game (assuming they aren't replaced by cottages, for which there is no screenshot evidence), it would almost reduce that choice completely. So, you're left with deciding whether to put a mine or a farm on that riverside hill?

11. EgyptRaider

EgyptRaider Chieftain

If they've removed all the trading posts only for aesthetic then they at least have the idea that there is something wrong with the current trading posts.

12. Kennan

Kennan Chieftain

13. JSMCAG

JSMCAG Chieftain

That's old Gods & Kings footage, as you can see by the UI (Baroque inspired UI, Adviser button on top right, no Internation Trade Routs or Tourism counter on top) and, therefore, doesn't reflect the new expansion.

14. Inhalaattori

Inhalaattori Chieftain

No. That is from old version. As you can see there is no tourism output or trade routes.

15. ShallowGrave

ShallowGrave Chieftain

Yeah, thats G&K footage. I think they scrapped trading posts altogether in favor of internal and external trade routes.

16. Securion

Securion Civ Veteran

That looks like Gods and Kings footage though.

EDIT; Im late as usual...

17. Tinker

Tinker Chieftain

That's a G&K screenshot, though.

18. Dark_Jedi06

Dark_Jedi06 "Deus ex Machina."

I swear that I read somewhere that one of the new civs had a UA that allowed trading posts to be built on coasts, I could have imagined this though.

Perhaps they've changed the way trading posts function and they're still waiting on the big reveal, keeping them absent from screenshots to see if we notice. :p

19. Bechhold

Bechhold Chieftain

Just bring back cottages while making Trade Posts related to CS in terms of Influence, Spheres of Control, Economic values etc.

Or is that too complicated?

20. Gamewizard

Gamewizard Chieftain

In one of the recent articles it was said that Portugal had this special ability, but the article could have been referencing the Portuguese UI.