Troubleshooting Connectivity

Okay, when I go to join a game in the GameSpy internet games things, it will start to load for a minute, and then invariably state that the connection to the host has timed out. Is it because I'm still running Vanilla, or is it something else?
hey all. It seems my my problem is ages old. a friend just started playing and I want to play with him, but I never been able to connect the online server.
I get:
the connection to the game browsing server has failed
now, I've forward my ports, opened 'em on the default windows firewall, but the damn thing still wouldn't connect.
any chance you can help?
any tests that I have to run? thanks:)
Have both of you updated to the latest patch? I believe the online server won't work unless you're on the latest patch. I know it only works for Beyond the Sword on the 3.19 patch. It might work for Vanilla (on 1.74) or Warlords (on 2.13), but I'm dubious. (The problem is that a while back the online servers were updated to only accept the latest patch of Beyond the Sword, since it fixed some major exploits and cheating issues.)

So to have the best chances of it working, you should be running Beyond the Sword with the 3.19 patch.

Have both of you updated to the latest patch? I believe the online server won't work unless you're on the latest patch. I know it only works for Beyond the Sword on the 3.19 patch. It might work for Vanilla (on 1.74) or Warlords (on 2.13), but I'm dubious. (The problem is that a while back the online servers were updated to only accept the latest patch of Beyond the Sword, since it fixed some major exploits and cheating issues.)

So to have the best chances of it working, you should be running Beyond the Sword with the 3.19 patch.

Yes, I have the 3.19 patch.

Yes, I have the 3.19 patch.
Sorry for the delayed reply. Not really sure what else could be wrong if you're all patched up. Sure you're not running a mod, and/or haven't done any modding of game files yourself? If neither of these is the case, I'm afraid I'm at a bit of a loss as to why it wouldn't be working, assuming you've opened up all the right ports. Have you tried just disabling your firewall and checking to see if it works at all that way? Because if it does, you might be able to work backwards to figure out what part of the firewall is blocking you. Can't really think of any other options, sorry.

I am currently hosting a Pitboss and everyone (including me) is all of a sudden unable to connect. I have no problem connecting to other pitbosses that I am playing. The current game I am hosting has been running fine for months but yesterday, it just started timing out.

Here is a description of what I have tried so far:
When you try to login to the game, you get a "connection timed out" message. I have verified that my internet is up and my network is functioning (Pitboss CPU is a wired-in desktop), as my Pitboss CPU shows up fine in "My Network Places." I know router is working because I am on my wireless laptop now. I know Pitboss CPU connects to internet fine as I just used it to check on how to open ports, plus the civstats for the game is still working fine. I checked Dyndns.com and verified that my account is still active, functioning, and attached to the correct IP address. I verified that all multiplayer ports are open. I tried disabling the antivirus program as well as the firewall and neither had any effect. I have already tried restarting Pitboss, as well as restarting the CPU and then restarting Pitboss. I have also tried unplugging and re-plugging my router as well as unplug/replug my modem and router. I have tried starting a second test-pitboss on the same computer, but I could not log into that one either.

So at this point I have no idea why we can't connect. Ideas? Suggestions?

Update on above situation:

I have also called my ISP and verified that there is was not a block placed on my IP address. I tried logging in using the direct IP address instead of the dyndns one. That didnt work. I have uninstalled/re-installed BTS:(. Game still times out and wont let me log in.

Any Ideas? Anyone? Anyone?... Bueller?

I've had similar issues in the past when I tried to host games myself. I put it down to random firewall issues, don't know if that's the true case or not. However, someone once suggested I tried using Hamachi to host games, which works brilliantly. Have you tried using Hamachi before? Well worth a try if nothing else seems to be working. :)

I've had similar issues in the past when I tried to host games myself. I put it down to random firewall issues, don't know if that's the true case or not. However, someone once suggested I tried using Hamachi to host games, which works brilliantly. Have you tried using Hamachi before? Well worth a try if nothing else seems to be working. :)
Thanks for responding, and yes I have hosted using Hamachi, and I agree it does work great. However, in this case, I would rather avoid having everybody download a new program if possible. I guess I will ask people to switch over to Hamachi as a last resort.

When you say "random firewall issues" are you saying that you never really resolved it and the issue just resolved itself eventually. Or are you saying you have just given up and always use Hamachi now?

Okay, so now me and my friend got hamachi to work, see eachother in hamachi, can ping eachother, yet if either of us starts a game in the multiplayer-LAN-game lobby, the other is unable to see and join the game.

Anyone any suggestions what might be the problem?? Im running windows 7, my friend runs vista.

PS. Tonight we'll try and see if a direct ip through hamachi might work...

I'm almost positive when I played Civ 4 MP in the past...many years ago, it was via LAN...only have ever played it with someone in my own home. Trying now.....same game versions.....allowed through Win Firewall.....nothing showing....got fed up searching....turned Firewalls off on both laptops.....still nothing. What am I missing? I know LAN can work.....it has. Both of us have started a New game, but nothing shows in the other Lan Lobby. Anyone?

Edit: Tired Direct IP also....I started game....got my IP and entered on his to join....times out each time we try.

I'm almost positive when I played Civ 4 MP in the past...many years ago, it was via LAN...only have ever played it with someone in my own home. Trying now.....same game versions.....allowed through Win Firewall.....nothing showing....got fed up searching....turned Firewalls off on both laptops.....still nothing. What am I missing? I know LAN can work.....it has. Both of us have started a New game, but nothing shows in the other Lan Lobby. Anyone?

Edit: Tired Direct IP also....I started game....got my IP and entered on his to join....times out each time we try.
Do you have your port-forwarding set up? If you don't set up port forwarding, Direct IP doesn't work. Also, the port forwarding scrambles when you shut off the router or have a power outage, so it must be set up again. Learned this the hard way.

I havent played LAN so I don't know if port forwarding is involved. But I do know that you can play over a LAN using direct IP but you have to use the local IP address rather than the traditional one. Your local IP adress is the 192.68.XXX etc one rather than the XX.XXX.XXX etc one.

Good luck.

Top Bottom