1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

TSG47 Game in Progress

Discussion in 'Civ5 - Game Of The Month' started by leif erikson, Nov 1, 2012.

1. Browd

Browd Dilettante Administrator

Looks like others are reporting the auto-annex bug. I'm bearing down on Edinburgh, and am beginning to wonder if I should.

Anyway, got a good start (gotta love the Spanish UA). Only DOW was from Boudicca, who I beat off with comp bows and who I hope will soon regret DOWing me (I've now refused two "everything" peace offers, and am headed to her capital with a spearman, a swordswman, 5 comp-bows and 1 catapult - wish me luck - those pictish warriors are tough SOBs, but I plan to put this new pillage-heal thing to the test).

Settled 5 cities so far. Capital settled in place, second city on the hill near Kailesh (bought that tile and have worked it continuously; until I got a granary in that city, I was stagnated at 1 pop, but now up to 4 pop). Third city south (near the marble, with 1 pearl and 1 fish in range), fourth city to the west (settled on the silk - made Alex grumpy, but he's busy chewing on Austria) and fifth city to the SW (on the tundra opposite the fur island, with 2 sheep, 2 fish and 1 deer in range).

Religion is out of control. Took One with Nature pantheon, so the Kailesh tile is giving me 20 faith. Enhanced before anyone else founded (took tithe, pagodas, religious community and itinerant preachers) and am now in 16 cities (tithe is contributing 21 gpt, which is less than community property would be giving (32), but tithe should far outstrip CP through the mid and late game). Boudicca and Pacal have founded, but haven't enhanced and neither has spread beyond their capital (and, in Boudicca's case, hopefully will never get out of her capital - I have an inquisitor just for her, assuming I take Edinburgh).

All that's good, I guess, but I'm really lagging in science and the cities are growing quite slowly. And, there's NO AI GOLD. I can't tell what they are doing with their gold, but I'm having to settle for part-upfront-gold /part-gpt deals. Makes developing all those pearls and sugar less of a priority.

Finished Tradition and was thinking about saving policies until I can open Rationalism, but I'm so far away from the Renaissance that I may have to rethink that. Still don't have NC (only running at 32 bpt right now), and am still approx. 20 turns away from beginning to research Education. Between the lack of AI gold and upgrading units to deal with Boudicca, I haven't been able to rush-buy any libraries (all my gold from finding NWs went to buy settlers). So, I expect this game will take longer than it would have pre-patch.

EDIT: I misread the announcement. Promotion saving is enabled, not policy saving. Into patronage I go.

2. Ribannah

Ribannah Fighter Druid

Another bug is back as well. The pantheon (God of the Sea) disappeared from our non-capital cities around turn 70.

Will go back some turns and try again.

3. Monthar

Monthar Deity

If the city loses the Pantheon's lightning bolt icon, because influence from other religions has converted enough citizens that the pantheon is no longer the majority this will happen.

As for all the other "bugs" folks are reporting. Apparently there were a lot of issues where steam didn't actually download all the files for the patch. To ensure missing files isn't your problem, open your steam library page, right click on Civ 5 and select properties. In the new window that pops up, go to the Local files tab then select "check integrity of the game cache". Odds are you'll find that some of the files from the patch have to be downloaded again. Once this is don reload the game and see if those "bugs" have gone away.

I didn't notice any bugs when I played after the patch, but today I did find that 2 of the files from the patch were missing and had to be "reacquired".

4. killerloop

killerloop Warlord

tx Monthar, also I had two files that to be reacquired

5. Browd

Browd Dilettante Administrator

I saved on turn 170 to do the cache validation, and I too had 2 files that had to be reacquired. Hope that helps with the few bugs I've observed.

Back to my pointless war with Boudicca. I'm 80 turns into this war and am damned if she's going to hold me off any longer. I'm now at cannons, tercios and x-bows. As far as the GOTM goes, I'm hopelessly off track. I should have just taken her initial wholesale peace offer, left a rearguard force to monitor her, and focused on civilian buildings and wonders. Beakers are getting into the barely respectable range (250+) and I'm about to get Pisa, so we'll see. May just chuck the diplo VC and go for domination (only Alex and Gus have real empires left -- Pacal is down to his capital and everyone else is gone).

6. ense7en

ense7en n7

Heh, what do you know, i verified cache and two files "had to be reacquired"...

Hope that fixes these issues from happening again.

7. JohnnyFriedEggs

JohnnyFriedEggs Chieftain

Well, let me start by saying that this a double first for me. First GoM and first Deity level game. Now that I think of it, this is the first time I played as Spain!

Anyway, as you may tell from the screenshot, I am in dire need of training. That isn't to say that I am not learning from this series because I have learned some just from reading the posts here and comparing others games to mine.

I guess the biggest lesson would be that a Diplo Vic doesn't mean you have to be passive. At least so passive as to where all the land gets taken around you and you have to go in search upon the high seas for new lands.

A lesser yet very important lesson is to be carefull when you declare war. Especially when you are joining in on a mass DOW on Alex. Why??? Because he has CS allies everywhere and they just might blow your units out of the water as the go looking to settle new lands.

In short, when it comes to building new cities, there really is no place like home. So do it fast and safe.

Now, would you guys keep playing this game or just look forward to another lesson in next months GOM??? Not that anyone reading would play this bad.:blush: I am thinking of starting over and applying some of the principles others have to see what results I might have. Obviously I won't be submitting anything for sometime.

Oh, how do you post spoiler and not thumbnails???
    Spoiler :

EDIT: Austria is an ally in this shot. She has a bone to pick w/Alex and Ms.B.

Attached Files:

8. Maxym

Maxym King

I would play it out but I am a sucker for punishment. When I got multiple DoWed by Austria, Siam and Celts on t111 just after my post all I could think is oh goody finally a real challenge. I looked at your screenshot first before reading and though how did Austrian troops get there, and them o yeah he's got a lot of units he can take them on.

So as you say if they are a ally then send some units against Celts if they are a target. Piggyback on their advance and swoop in for city kills. Support them but let them get cut up. Get some units in the lake and try to grab Nantes when it's in the deep red. Send your south force to take Truro and soon Celts won't be as much of problem anymore and you'll have two puppets. Then see if you can do the same to Alex.

And as you say don't be passive it's hard to outbuilding AI or outspend them, so cut them down to size. BTW diplo is really a science game with different finish, you need cities and beakers then gold. And definitely submit and you'll be surprised you are not the last. This is a tough map with a very aggressive AIs and I won't be surprised to see some losses and you have made it pretty far.

9. Bezhukov

Bezhukov Deity

Best set-up of a GotM ever.

Kudos.

Every decision both crucial and difficult.

10. Smirk

Smirk King

Circa about turn 150

- Did you do anything exciting with your UU's?
    Haven't reached Tercio yet, considering building a conquistador but couldn't when I tried as my empire was unhappy (hah).

- What were your initial priorities?
    Getting scouts and finding the natural wonders early for the gold bonus. Eventually found 3 worth the 500g. Two helped me buy early settlers, the last went towards buying off a CS. The last was on another island.

- What tech path did you follow?
    Getting my local luxury techs, then Construction and Machinery. Then onto Education and some of then probably Industry or whatever its called to upgrade my war machine to gatling guns.

- Were there any early wars and who started them?
    YES! I didn't start any yet, but Celts and Greece both declared on the same turn around 34 or so. Fought them both off handily despite being a tad unprepared. Celts I beat down with a few archers they didn't have many troops and my city placement ensured over river attacks from pretty much every angle. Alex on the other hand took a while to beat back but fortunately my nearby city was on a hill so was easy to defend. I got peace and 500g or so from Celts, and eventually got a gold buy off peace from Alex when I realized I didn't have enough units to handle the terrain around their capital. Did puppet one of his cities tho.
    Nothing much happened till may about turn 80 when Austria declared on me. She had tons of units, led the world in them in fact. I did take a couple losses, I think a CB with double attack which I was sore about. I was surprised by her units a couple times. I have no idea where they were coming from considering she had no money and I have visual on most of her land. I eventually took her capital and razed her other cities.

I'm currently trying to see if i can get Greece or Celts to declare again on me, otherwise I will have to declare on them.

- What Social Policies did you choose and why?
    Went full Tradition, then Commerce. Would like to get some of the CS policies which I rarely take so don't even know the names. Then Rationalism.

11. QuizMan

QuizMan Quisling

In the game announcement thread I said I would go for archery first. Well, blow me if that was what I got on turn 2 from a ruin plus 500g from a NW. I immediately bought an archer who went exploring south and promptly got upgraded to a CB.

This can't last I thought and, sure enough it didn't. Mind you, I am still alive at turn 100 and only the Celts have DoW'ed me. Settled in place and I am playing it very cautiously and have another 2 cities going south. I have a strong army of CB's, but no iron and Boudicca has tons of it. She is throwing swordsmen at me, but, so far, I have killed them all without a single loss. I may have to go after her now and throw the kitchen sink at her, hoping Alex doesn't declare while I'm at it. He's rattling sabres already, but am friends with everyone else.

I am selling luxuries asap, but no-one has much money so it is invariably for a little gold up front and more per turn.

Made a big mistake and forgot to stop the GL for a couple of turns while I finished calendar and so had to take free tech of drama & literature and not philosophy. So still not built NC. Hey ho. It would have been nice to build the great wall for extra security, but that went before I had even reached engineering.

Found all the NW's but only one more gave me the full 500g, the one on the eastern island. I am thinking of stopping further expansion until conquistadors and sending a couple of them over there.

A question please - Very often gold is king and selling embassies for 25g is considered a good move. I prefer to open embassies both ways to get a feel for the layout of the map as a cheap way of scouting. Do others adopt this too?

BTW - thanks to Monthar. I, too, had a couple of missing files when verifying the local cache.

12. Maxym

Maxym King

On turn 111 SIam, Austria and Celts declare simulanously, Alex joins them 9 turns later. I had managed to purchase 2 unis by now and working on the 3rd one. This time i decided to save my cash and not wall up in my southern city facing the brunt of Celtic forces. I kept the cash in reseve in case things got out of hand but managed to fight them to a standstill by the time the city health bar was half gone. Purchased another uni as soon as i knew Alex wont get far either.

Spoiler :

I have been allied with Marrakech for a long time and it has made a difference. They stopped Austrian advance from reaching critical mass last time and now took the main force of Greek and Austrian fury letting me deal with Celts first and then cut up any greek units venturing close to Cordoba. Eventually Celts and geeks sued for peace, celts paid dearly, Alex as a military leader got away with clean deal. And i was free to deal with Austria once and for all. Siam also paid what they could but i never seen any of their units.

I teched crossbows and LS and am advancing towards vienna. They plopped a city in my way but it only held me back for 2 turns. I think i might leave them 1 city and then wait for Alex's and Boudica's next Dows as i am sure they will come as i am not planinng on expanding my military. I am busy trying to stave off unhappiness and grow my scinece cities. Now at 257 bpt.

Spoiler :

Attached Files:

13. paceybaby

paceybaby Chieftain

Sadly since the patch, if load a pre-patch game, great generals have no effect so have had to suspend my campaign. Am surprised that not many other people have reported this problem. Have tried re-installing the game, but no change.

I've tried re-validating the files, there we 2 missing. However the problem remains

14. Tabarnak

Tabarnak Cut your lousy hairs!

For my 2nd try i managed to get a super start. I followed the original idea to go with 4 cities instead of 3 and beeline construction sooner this time to hold off aggressors. Since i knew where the 2nd closest natural wonder was, it has been possible to get 1000 gold pretty early.

At turn 40, i have 4 cities, 5 workers and 2 archers waiting near Boudicca. Both Alex and Bouticca DoWed me during that turn. I waited for my 2nd city to reach 3 :c5citizen: instead of working faith mountain right away(settled on sugar). He now has a granary and working both a mine tile and faith tile. Much better than working the faith tile right away and suffer from production.

15. Gamewizard

Gamewizard Emperor

I still believe it is a text problem. The strength of the unit is still increased as if the GG was working properly.

16. Hammer Rabbi

Hammer Rabbi Deity GOTM Staff

for those having this particular problem, particularly tabarnak for describing it, there was this thread in 2k forums addressing it.

http://forums.2kgames.com/showthread.php?180161-Hey-2K-I-think-I-found-it&p=2463911#post2463911

i had the exact same problem, cities or archers firing on a barbarian caused the game to freeze and crash and it appears to be a bug with certain video cards. 2k said they are working on fixing it. i use the video card brand they mentioned and between t40 and t50 i had 3 crashes from the same action. i rage quit on the 4th crash, haha. i will play thru this again when i have more patience but i will also have to stop taking shots at barbs with cities which means playing a bit differently. also, i wont submit because i had to start over from the beginning.

17. Hammer Rabbi

Yes and no. very early i sell the embassies because i can use the gold for the early rush-buys. when a CS says they seek the locations of certain civs is a great time to buy theirs to save the effort of traveling there, particularly when there are continents. but on occasion i want the the embassy faster so i can put a spy in their capital. i dont wait around forever for a CS to give me that quest. but since this is diplo it can be a bit more valuable for cheaper friend points.

18. tommynt

tommynt Emperor

So I am in this aswell - i got game crashes every like 30 turns - but thats not so bad as thats the time to about pause/end session anyway

Upload part 1 turn 1-49 atm

atm I am at about turn 100 and doing ok

whoever watching this - get rdy for some SERIOUS WORKER STEALING ACTION! Espacially in part 2 :)

in midgame civ who refused to make peace for several turns suddenly contact me and offer city oO when I m fighting some1 else ..

Ah well btw went for this +4 faith for nw pantheon and:
    + spain doubles the 4 faith :)
    - its only for 1. nw worked :(

still I think best choise with spain, well the +1 cult per jungle d been useful aswell but +20 faith from like turn 5 on is just :crazyeye:

19. Gyathaar

Gyathaar Warlock Retired Moderator GOTM Staff

Since it has not been mentioned in this thread.. I believe I read somewhere that this is a bug that happens if you use F-keys to open various info screens...

I think if you use mouse to open windows, and avoid F-keys, then the annex/puppet prompts will appear like normal.

20. Hammer Rabbi

my t99 freeze is my 10th one. im officially in double digits for that. this time it wasnt an archer or city shot. i finished Engineering and it froze on the Engineering frame.

i had 4 between t30 and t40 but that was mostly just figuring out why. since then its been 1 freeze about every 10turns and i completely quit taking city shots (which wouldve prevented me losing a couple units as well as barb pillages). i will carry on but it's quite frustrating.