TSG57 After Action Thread

Let's see if we can suspend the HoF discussion. It is no longer related to TSG57. I appreciate the discourse but let's get back to topic, like Aldor's post.

Thanks
HR

For example, for domination game I think it was clearly stated that it was okay with getting lump sum before DoW and get his cap, and do the same thing repeatedly. All of my domination games at HoF (not that many though) used that strategy. So it is clearly per AI, not as a whole, that the lump-sum exploit rule applies.

its not per AI, the issue here is that it is not a phony war just to get the gold, you are taking his cap. So domination games are all very similar to tommy style. I am sure all of us play them this way, i take the AI for every last bit of gold i can get before destroying them. I dont sell gold to get higher gpt, but i tend to maximize the gold i get from AI before Dowing them.

i think the idea of rerolls and of learning new reporting format is what kept me from HOF games, that and the fact i barely have time to play GOTM and now those damn deity challenges ;)

sorry HR i knew i was potentially opening a can of worms, but you must admit that its been a very civil and informative discussion. At least for me, i always assumend we interpret the HOF rules in the same way. it seems everyone sees it a bit different but follows the rules anyway

ps can someone fix the quote for me please

sorry HR i knew i was potentially opening a can of worms, but you must admit that its been a very civil and informative discussion. At least for me, i always assumend we interpret the HOF rules in the same way. it seems everyone sees it a bit different but follows the rules anyway

ps can someone fix the quote for me please

It has less to do with the tone or candor of the conversation and more to do with it being off topic. To continue an HoF conversation take it to a new thread or an existing one.

And to fix your quote you need to close the bracket on the last 'quote' with a [ in front of it.

Thanks,
HR

Game: Civ5 GOTM 57
Date submitted: 2013-03-21
Reference number: 28565
Your name: tomoliop
Game status: Science Victory
Game date: 1872AD
Turns played: 306
Base score: 1862
Final score: 3052
Time played: 4:25:00
Submitted save: Pachacuti_0306 AD-1872.Civ5Save
Renamed file: tomoliop_C505701.Civ5Save

Finally getting closer to the average here, still no sub300 though darn it... I'm loving the Incas, definitely gonna play a bit more with them. What I think did wrong - didn't take that policy in patronage for science, realized that too late. And gotta work a lot more on timing things. Enjoyable game.

Date submitted: 2013-03-21
Reference number: 28570
Your name: stickyfingers
Game date: 1846AD
Turns played: 293
Base score: 1611
Final score: 2777
Time played: 4:49:00
Submitted save: Pachacuti_0293 AD-1846.Civ5Save
Renamed file: stickyfingers_C505701.Civ5Save

this was a fun game, i never used the incas before. the free or very cheap roads were nice. it was cool to check the GPT when i hooked my cities up and see i was getting like 25 per turn from trade routes and paying 2 in maintenance. should have hooked up the cities earlier, obviously.

i did 4 cities, tradition start. all 4 were on that starting peninsula. i think i should have put at least one more over to the west in that area with 2 CS and no one else. Oda attacked me fairly early, so I counter attacked and took 3 of his cities. i left his final one to avoid a warmonger penalty. that was it for the fighting basically. i just explored and traded with the other civs until i won. the japanese cities grew pretty nice and were a good boost. i definitely should have taken more cities from other civs though to improve my score.

at the very end as i was building my spaceship, washington wouldnt give me full price for luxuries and he had a bunch of units near me. i thought he might be up to something. so i spent all my gold to upgrade my old army (still had CBs and horses) and buy some new toys. i blitzed through his land in like 10 turns with rocket artillery, tanks, and paratroopers, and burned all his cities.

First of all, thank you for the compliments. I recommend you tommynt's youtube channel. Pick one gotm among those games, play couple of times with your own strategies, and after that follow every single move he does (you can do this on CiV5 windows mode instead of full screen, or you can use multiple screens).

At least that's how I improved my game very fast. For earlier gotms I could not reach 50 turns within his record...

any other youtube videos you guys recommend? it's a little hard for me to follow tommy's with no narration and his game isn't in english.

Date submitted: 2013-03-22
Reference number: 28572
Your name: Tesuji
Game date: 1812AD
Turns played: 276
Base score: 1084
Final score: 1970
Time played: 17:52:00
Submitted save: Pachacuti_0276 AD-1812.Civ5Save
Renamed file: Tesuji_C505701.Civ5Save

This map was insane. And I'm so used to playing Immortal or Deity that it took me a little while to realize how easy it was going to be. I feel like I lost some concentration the last half of the game. I should have finished way earlier.

I settled on the deer and went 4 city, tradition opening. One Petra city to the NE between all the sheep. Another near the mountain W on the coast and the last one just above the tundra SE.

Japan DOWed fairly early. But with a few slingers and a CB ready it was easy to rebuff him. With all the hills that my troups can move through easily, you get to kill the enemy before they even reach you. I then marched onto Osaka, which he just gifted to me for peace before I even had a decent shot at it, so not a single unit lost. Peace with everyone ever since. Never had to build a single unit since, although I got some of them gifted by CSes.

Some of the early finishes show I still have a lot to learn... Maybe the peaceful approach was not the way to go. Sub-200 finish for a science victory is awesome whichever way you play. I'd love to see a play-by-play of that like dthompson posted for GOTM 56, I would learn a lot.

Date submitted: 2013-03-23
Reference number: 28577
Your name: NCOmmander
Game date: 1890AD
Turns played: 315
Base score: 1122
Final score: 1780
Time played: 6:41:00
Submitted save: TSG57_NCommander_Win.Civ5Save
Renamed file: NCOmmander_C505701.Civ5Save

(accidently put a capital O when I uploaded. Note to self, don't do this when I'm tired)

System started lagging hard towards the end, though I had fun. Made a few stupid mistakes, but managed to recover them. Biggest issue is that I didn't unlock Rationalism early enough so missed tech policies. First match on King that I completed. Wasn't too hard but it was my first game in forever ....

Really like the Icna. There's UA is extremely awesome, and made me able to defend from Japan's early aggression. The UU on the other hand I rather dislike, maybe due to the fact that its weaker than the archer. Still they are now one of my favorite civs :).

First of all, thank you for the compliments. I recommend you tommynt's youtube channel. Pick one gotm among those games, play couple of times with your own strategies, and after that follow every single move he does (you can do this on CiV5 windows mode instead of full screen, or you can use multiple screens).

At least that's how I improved my game very fast. For earlier gotms I could not reach 50 turns within his record...

Thanks for the tips. Between that and really taking my time, I played this map again and won in 235 turns. A vast improvement on my first game. Obviously knowing where everything is was a huge help. I don't know if I have the time or desire to try this a THIRD time, but I think I'm better positioned for future GOTM's.

Date submitted: 2013-03-24
Reference number: 28586
Your name: civ5win
Game date: 1888AD
Turns played: 314
Base score: 2458
Final score: 3964
Time played: 5:20:00
Submitted save: TSG57 WIN IMM_OR_TAL.Civ5Save
Renamed file: civ5win_C505701.Civ5Save

could have a won lot sooner... but wanted to get all capitals expect 1 and all wonders :D

how do i upload pics .... and how do i take pics during game ....:crazyeye:

Date submitted: 2013-03-24
Reference number: 28586
Your name: civ5win
Game date: 1888AD
Turns played: 314
Base score: 2458
Final score: 3964
Time played: 5:20:00
Submitted save: TSG57 WIN IMM_OR_TAL.Civ5Save
Renamed file: civ5win_C505701.Civ5Save

could have a won lot sooner... but wanted to get all capitals expect 1 and all wonders :D

how do i upload pics .... and how do i take pics during game ....:crazyeye:

Welcome to CFC and Game of the Month!

There are several different ways to take screen shots, either normally or through Steam. I suggest looking up any of the different methods to see which you prefer.

To upload, just click on the Paperclip icon (next to smiley face icon) in the comment tool bar. It will open a window with upload options. Click Browse, find the file, select it then click upload. Now close the window and click the Paperclip dropdown arrow and it will be listed as an option to insert in your comment. It will show up as a thumbnail. You can also post using websites like Imageshack or Photobucket and use the Insert Image button instead of uploading to the forum's servers.

Thanks for submitting and good luck.

HR

Date submitted: 2013-03-26
Reference number: 28593
Your name: Dunkhan
Game date: 1858AD
Turns played: 299
Base score: 1894
Final score: 3210
Time played: 4:24:00
Submitted save: TSG57_Turn299Victory.Civ5Save
Renamed file: Dunkhan_C505701.Civ5Save

This was my first attempt at one of these games, it was fun. :)

I looked at the coast didn't particularly like it so decided to settle in place, which was probably a mistake, but did allow a city on the marble below the mountain. Started Scout, Monument, Shrine, Great Library. Opened tradition to start to help build the Great Library then switched to liberty to build cities. The problem with that was I spent so long waiting for the aqueducts when I finally finished tradition. I somewhat lost the plot with the social policies (not used to the luxury of that many).
I went into rationalism then came back to finish tradition. Eventually opened order to finish building the spaceship then opened commerce at the end because i had to select something.

Petra was built in Tiwanaku which I built by the river instead of the more common place. This became my most productive city. I think I should have built more cities next to mountains for the observatories.

I had been playing (not necessarily succeeding) on higher difficulty levels prior to this game and so I went on a bit of a wonder rampage (having been unable to build them in other games) and got rather sloppy in the second half of the game. For example, I forgot to use the Great Engineer i had saved for Hubble. I also delayed the by a few turns to get the great firewall achievement near the end instead of building SS parts.

Spying was useless I think I stole one tech (steel) then stuck everything in the city states until the end finish. I tried to let them steal from me so research agreements would be cheaper, but it didn't work.

The slow pace of the AIs not only in research but also in getting gold and resources lined up took me by surprise. I kept trying to sell my luxuries but everyone was always broke and didn't have any excess so my happiness once hit -9 which wasn't good for a science game.

Religion: I went Monument builders and went wonder crazy. Hit religion first and built Hagia Sophia the next turn taking Ceremonial burial, Mosques then Divine inspiration and Religious texts. Picked the follower beliefs the wrong way around would have got about 20 more faith the other way. I was trying to maximise faith for purchasing GS but lost 800 1 turn before the industrial for a great prophet.

Diplomacy: Fell out with Oda made peace a few times and waited for a while before re-attacking. During this time he picked up the great wall which was a pain as it negated the hill movement ability in his territory. Finished him off after I received a ruins gift which greatly aided defeating him (see attachment).
Every research agreement almost from the beginning was costing 2 research agreements and 100/200 gold which I wasn't expecting. On the last turn Theodora put a great prophet in the way of my space ship part so I had to declare war on her.

I have written far too much, sorry.

Attachments

• GatlingGun740AD.jpg
    GatlingGun740AD.jpg
    203.2 KB · Views: 145
  • FinalTSG57.jpg
    FinalTSG57.jpg
    299.3 KB · Views: 158
This was my first attempt at one of these games, it was fun. :)

I have written far too much, sorry.
Welcome to CivFanatics and GOTM. :wavey:

Glad you joined us and enjoyed it. You can never write too much, that is how we all learn and how to get assistance. :)

Best of luck in future. :thumbsup:

OCC science victory turn 335.

This is the first GOTM I have tried/played. I'm fairly new to Civ5 (since January) and just bumped up to Emperor lately. I have been fascinated with Sidon's OCC science victories and thought I would give it a try.... so decided before I started that a self imposed OCC would be the way to go. Obviously not optimal but thought it might be fun.

As I didn't know what the map was I was reluctant to pick a better location as I didn't want to land-lock myself so I settled on the river coast tile next to the mountain.

My focus was all out growth as well as get Tithe and get my religion spreading so I could get some extra gold. I planned on a peaceful game and did just that, no wars. As soon as I started scouting I almost had to ditch my OCC plan once I saw the potential petra site with terrace farms... oh my :crazyeye:

But I stayed focused and stuck with OCC.

Turn 26 I picked up Fertility Rites
Turn 60 I completed Stonehenge
Turn 86 Hanging Gardens
Turn 93 founded my religion
Turn 97 Great Wall after I saw Japan expanding like crazy and already getting into wars with Byzantium.

Overall it was a good experience but painful at times knowing I could have founded 2-3 more cities in awesome locations to help pump science.

What held me back was AI civs not having enough $ for research agreements. Sometimes I had to pay them lump sum gold for gpt so they could get the 300 or 350 needed. Also, since their tech rates were so dismal the beakers I got back in the agreements were usually pretty poor.

Also I totally miscalculated my GS and research agreements somehow, which cost me likely 30 turns :confused::crazyeye: That is what I get for playing late into the night. Somehow I failed at my math bigtime. Once I realized this I tried to squeeze out 3 more GS and 2 more RA. In my science victories I'm usually stuck with an extra GS and this time I blew it on the other end.

No worries of war at all this game until Japan Denounced me 5 turns before our RA agreement was up. I thought once he had basically wiped Byzantium off our continent he would come for me. But we did stay peaceful.

Only frustration was watching my beakers sit there not really increasing between each scientific building (ie, University -> Public School -> Labs etc.) OCC was fun but it did hurt watching my beakers just sit there...

Overall I really like the Inca UA... ability to move through hills. Just amazing. Add in terrace farms and they can really shine. One of my fav Civs for sure.

I did get side tracked mid game once I realized I could pick up all the Wonders. I only missed some of the early ones (GL, Lighthouse) but wasn't really trying for those. Decided I would get up my NC as soon as possible and pick up Stonehenge to guarantee my religion.

Overall a fun map and if I could actually bring myself to play a map a second time this would be it. But I still haven't and can't do it... On to new things.

EDIT - side note my goal was to hit pop 50 and I did. I also was allied with every City State in the game. I was also able to build spaceship parts in 3 turns which was nice.

Hope these attachments work properly. Never done this before.

Attachments

• GOTM57 Inca turn 189.jpg
    GOTM57 Inca turn 189.jpg
    205.4 KB · Views: 169
  • GOTM57 Inca 335 win.jpg
    GOTM57 Inca 335 win.jpg
    247.1 KB · Views: 149
  • GOTM57 Inca turn 335 city.jpg
    GOTM57 Inca turn 335 city.jpg
    214.2 KB · Views: 154
  • GOTM57 Inca 335 demo.jpg
    GOTM57 Inca 335 demo.jpg
    123.4 KB · Views: 171
  • GOTM57 Inca 335 religion.jpg
    GOTM57 Inca 335 religion.jpg
    145.3 KB · Views: 151
OCC science victory turn 335.

This is the first GOTM I have tried/played. I'm fairly new to Civ5 (since January) and just bumped up to Emperor lately. I have been fascinated with Sidon's OCC science victories and thought I would give it a try.... so decided before I started that a self imposed OCC would be the way to go. Obviously not optimal but thought it might be fun.
Welcome to CivFanatics and GOTM. :wavey:

Glad to see you had fun and hope you try some more games in future. Good luck. :)

I finihsed at turn 230 with a peaceful 6C trad game.
This is my personal best with a non Babilonian CIV.

It was a very easy map, possibility for a big petra city and expand into 6-8 city peacefully.

I wonder anyone might did that, but on this map, I have started with mining and worker - I had enough of getting naps/barbarians/upgrade with my scouts... OFC I build 2 scout right after that - and in King i was still able to get a lots of ruins.

On Tabrnak's note: Petra is just way too powerful. I love it, and it seems the GOTM admins also, because the last X-1 gotm all had good petra locations :)

Inca terrace farms with petra especially brutal...

But it should be nerfed somehow...

Date submitted: 2013-03-28
Reference number: 28604
Your name: Arilian
Game date: 1600AD
Turns played: 230
Base score: 1289
Final score: 2802
Time played: 2:47:00
Submitted save: Pachacuti_0230 AD-1600.Civ5Save
Renamed file: Arilian_C505701.Civ5Save

Date submitted: 2013-03-28
Reference number: 28603
Your name: Philipum
Game date: 1860AD
Turns played: 300
Base score: 1633
Final score: 2721
Time played: 6:58:00
Submitted save: Pachacuti_0300 AD-1860.Civ5Save
Renamed file: Philipum_C505701.Civ5Save

Very fun game!

Started tradition with 3 cities, built 5 more cities later, and got a city from Carthage for making peace after a phony war. Never conquered a single city.

I converted almost the whole world to my religion thanks to Pilgrimage and Divine Inspiration; that gave me lots of faith in the late game for purchasing great scientists, seemed to be a successful tactics.

However I did not finish that early. Here are the mistakes I know about (and I would be grateful if you pointed me to other mistakes I am not aware of):

- forgot to build Petra in the desert city
- settled all my Great Scientists for academies (and I had LOTs of them). It seems people are bulbing them instead -- is that more efficient? Or should one settle a few in the early game and then bulb?
- alienated America and Byzantium by trying to convert their capitals to my religion with great prophets. We were good friends before that. That was really not necessary and it made me miss opportunities for trading and research agreements.
- perhaps I should have conquered Japan, it would not have been too difficult. I don't know, probably it pays off in the long term despite the happiness demerit from conquering cities.

That's all I can think of at the moment.
Thanks for the opportunity to participate.

- settled all my Great Scientists for academies (and I had LOTs of them). It seems people are bulbing them instead -- is that more efficient? Or should one settle a few in the early game and then bulb?
It is very difficult to do strict math on that. It is obvious, that if you bulb GS later you get more :c5science:. There was also some math done (in strategy forum), that usually total :c5science: from academy is lower than :c5science: from bulbing GS late in game. However planting GS early/bulbing it early gives you faster techs and you save gold (from saving GS for later bulb). Moreover, science from academies counts to your RAs.

Bulbing GS always saves you around 7 turns of research (it is :c5science: from last 8 turns, but your bpt increases). However, planting GS early increases your bpt significantly. If you got GS (as Babylon) when your bpt is around 8-10, then academy double your research rate and in fact with academy you save much more than 8 turns of research. On the other hand, late in game when your empire produce 1000+bpt, a single academy (even in capital with all scientific boost) gives you around +40bpt (with freedom finisher and Atomic Theory) which is less than 5%.

My strategy is usually plant all GS till late renaissance and save rest of them and bulb them either to get faster crucial techs (like plastics) or, in most cases, wait for research labs and then (after 8 turns) start bulbing. However, I would bulb earlier GS if I need some tech faster (eg. see I can open Rationalism 20 turns earlier and build observatories some turns earlier).

Top Bottom