TSG67 After Actions

Well, I finished the game with a turn 338 victory. The game definitely started to drag a bit by the end, I was just hitting end turn as quickly as possible to try and get to the victory vote.

- How many cities did you build and how many did you decide to acquire?
I built 5 myself, with my capital on the coastal hill near the tundra (and supported by a naval food trade route), then spreading south and east and on one island just past Kyzyl. I managed to push expansion early enough that Brazil had nowhere to go and was stuck at two cities. Or at least they were until turn 200 or so, when Assyria and I teamed up to remove them from the game. I got Rio out of the deal, but I left it as a puppet and just spammed trading posts.

- How did you use religion or spying to your advantage?
I was mostly ahead on tech by the time spying came around, so I used the spies to get free influence with city states. Towards the end I swapped them all over to diplomats to take advantage of globalization.

- How did diplomacy go with your neighbors?
Things were very peaceful, at least with me. The only war I entered was the short one where I swiped Rio from Brazil. That left me with the largest army for a while, at least according to the demographics screen, so I guess nobody else wanted to fight me. However, that didn't stop Persia and Assyria from divvying up the Mayan territory between them, and as I was ending the game it seemed everyone decided that Assyria was the new dog pile war target.

- How did the difficulty level affect your game decisions?
I tried for more early wonders than I usually do, so I managed to get the Great Lighthouse (didn't need it), the Colossus, and most importantly the Forbidden Palace. Lost Petra before I had even researched currency, so my desert coast city just north of Riga was still decent but not phenomenal.

- Did the new Diplomacy Victory conditions change how you play a diplomacy game?
I definitely started spending money on city states very early for me, sometime in the Renaissance, hoping to control the World Congress instead of waiting for the end game to worry about them. Mostly, that strategy worked, keeping out the options I didn't want and pushing mine through, so I kept spending that way all game and had 12 of the remaining 13 city states in my pocket by the end.

A fun game, thanks Staff.

I missed out on info era by one turn, I had bulbed through the tech previous to it, but it didn't unlock ( I guess I had two techs already opened that turn) so I had to wait extra twenty turns.

I moved my settler to the desert North of Rio, settled one more city east of it in mountain pass and then took Rio. Let Pedro live in the north where Morrocco was supposed to be. Assyria DoWed me so I took their city and after pumping some more XP on other one gave them generous peace for all his lux and money. He liked it so much he offered a DoF, so from now on him and Darius and Ghandi and later Maria were my BFFs. Took their money for gpt as I didn't want to war anymore and had nothing to sell, and teched towards info era.

I founded WC on t211 iirc, I had PP for long time but lost a scout on the way to other side and had to wait till war with Assyria concluded to send some now unneeded XBs to scout. Signed no RAs instead plowing money into my infra, but maybe that last Assyria city was acquired and annexed too late. It was producing over 150 bpt but only when bulbing, maybe I would have had labs earlier without it.

Game: Civ5 GOTM 67
Date submitted: 2013-08-25
Reference number: 29581
Your name: Shorty55
Game status: Diplomacy Victory
Game date: 1908AD
Turns played: 329
Base score: 1122
Final score: 1726
Time played: 1:52:00

Kind of a slog... didn't realize the trigger for diplo victory for most of the game. Got GL early but lost out on Petra. Stuck with four cities, no wars, and pretty much worked my way through city states until I had them all. Tried to sign as many RAs as possible to get through to Info era to trigger world election. Then basically plowed through 20 turns until it came up.

Turns played: 317

This was my first diplo win in BNW so i have a late > 300 finish time.
I have to say, I had not pay so much attention to the synch between entering the info era and the World Congress timer. Indeed i entered the info era somewhere in the 280s so i expected to finish the game before the 300 turn but the last part was just a hugely boring end turn slog.

I think that what i learned from glory is that you have to concentrate as much as you can on science and try to sync the World Congress timer with the entering into info era. This can be controlled best with the delaying of Printing Press research.

I do have a question. Wouldn't on a higher difficulty the AI reach PP faster than you so you could not count on this approach? So on deity you would much more concentrate in getting the votes not in getting as fast as possible into the info era?

Thanks you'all for a great game :goodjob:

In deity you dont need to worry about hitting info era at all, you can just get stuff for sale at the end. If there is room for expo AI can get to it by early 210s , and save you the trouble. One downside is you can't time it.

I really had no clue about timing or whatever, but read wrote what glory said about timing and he seems right - guess i went for 2nd option fast PP - If i had known before i d have gotten it before astro - guess thats the way to get close to 200 turn benchmark.

I just went all out tech.

Warrior saw a far away mountain with 1. move and I went towards it what seemed to be very beneficial ... - I settled 3 more cities and went for only observatory spots.
2 cities NC then 2 more staight
sp: full tradition -- consultates - 4 rati - 3 order (got 2 writers for 4th rati and 3rd order - op dudes :) - full rati (finisher for plastics)

In end I overteched info era by 5 scientist in turn 200 - could have went into there 10-15 turn faster i guess.

few banchmark:
education turn 106
Astro turn 119
PP turn 140 (340 bakkers at that point)
Radio turn 157
Plastics turn 181

uploaded video of 1. 50 turn (love demanding tribute :) ) and will upload last 70 turns aswell - no good videos midgame :( - short sessions ..

with knowing the timings i d proly use all scientists and dont plant a single 1 - 1. for PP 2nd for public schools and so on - like that sub turn 200 diplo win should be possible - PPt125? with bulbing should be doable? or do it like glory suggested but that seems to "unnormal"

Also consultates seem REALLY GOOD - at least if there is no Mongolia or Zulu on map killing every CS out there anyway ... in end I had allied all CS with paying like NOTHING - just with consultates and quests - payed all game maybe 1500 gold max.
Well maybe its not only colsultates but the low difficulty making all the 30t quests freebies.

ah yeah and the only units I built been the ones in 1. 25 turns - no a single one after - bnw is dumb ..

Attachments

• GOTM67win_tommynt.Civ5Save
    1.1 MB · Views: 141
  • GOTM67_win.jpg
    GOTM67_win.jpg
    396.6 KB · Views: 329
@tommynt

nice game as usual! clearly your citi positions were far better than what I did. I wanted to plant Rabat at the place too but Brazil built his right before I did :sad: still, I could/should have planted 3rd and 4th city like you did to get observatories. I got no excuse for that suboptimal play.

Game: Civ5 GOTM 67
Date submitted: 2013-08-28
Reference number: 29590
Your name: casualplayer
Game date: 1906AD
Turns played: 327
Base score: 1569
Final score: 2413
Time played: 8:06:00
Submitted save: TSG67 Ahmad al-Mansur_0327 AD-1907.Civ5Save
Renamed file: casualplayer_C506701.Civ5Save

Drat! Finished CN Tower in Tower City (Pisa, Porcelain, Eiffel, CN) on Turn 327 after I had already won the vote. 87 points shy of a Caesar score.

Really should have moved my cap instead of parking on that River Hill. It took forever for it to amount to anything. My second and third cities quickly became equivalent to my cap, all three growing at about the same rate. I founded a fourth city really late to nab the Aluminum that was just out of reach. I took Sao Paulo and Rio de Janeiro, exterminating Brazil, and was gifted Ekbatana in a peace deal from Persia. I kept all three, Sao Paulo because it was coastal, Ekbatana because it had Coal and Rio because it was a fatty cap with Hanging Gardens, Great Wall, Terracotta Warriors and some other Wonder.

Weird game. Some Wonders went early, especially for King. Some went crazy late, like Turn 180 Pyramids! I had several early DoFs and RAs, but they were mostly useless so I eventually abandoned DoFs with everyone except Assyria. Assyria devoured Pacal and most of Persia. Toward the end of the game my longtime buddy Ashurbanipal would DoW someone for 45-150 Gold from me.

Because of my misplaced cap, my growth and thus my science was awful for a real long time. 400 BPT on Turn 200?! RAs were not helping me get to Scientific Theory or Plastics at all, even with Porcelain Tower. I did like having Jesuit Education quite a bit though. Whenever I did hit the major Science techs I had the buildings up and staffed within 10 Turns in all my cities. Wish you could Faith-buy Libraries and Observatories also with that reformation belief but that would probably be ridiculous.

Kasbahing up the flood plains was awesome! Turning them into 3F 1H 1G tiles helped to finally get some production done. That plus Hydro Plants finally made some cities I could be proud of.

Very grindy because I had the votes necessary from the moment the WC was founded but had to wait until I hit Information Era + 36 turns to win.

Like many others players I lost a lot of world wonders (Petra, Oracle, Machu Picchu). How could this happen on King? :confused:
I like new Cultural Victory in BNW (without sacred cities ;)) but I can not say the same for Diplomacy Victory.
Last 40 turns it was 'press next turn' button although all had been decided.:(

uploaded video of 1. 50 turn (love demanding tribute :) ) and will upload last 70 turns aswell - no good videos midgame :( - short sessions ..
Thanks for the videos. Very informative.

Although I am shocked you were able to get what looks like a t53 or t54 GL. I replayed the first 60 turns at least half a dozen times without building GL and t51 was the latest it ever went (iirc t44 was the earliest). Obviously stealing workers helps delay those AIs, but I am still very surprised.

i got lost in clicking next turn. 450+ turns lol. I got dark horse though....

This was my first participation in the GOTM series, and I have to say I'm a little embarrassed after reading some of these finishes. My thoughts on what went wrong in my early game are on the other thread. Essentially I should have just gone all science and tried to stay more peaceful, I suppose. I might give this another try just to experiment. I hardly ever go diplo victory, and when I do it's because it ends up being the opportunity available to immediately end a game.

Brazil, my first and main target, ended up being my best friend as I brought the old man back to life after Assyria wiped him out. :p Won the DV vote with 45 votes (32 needed).

A look at the final map.
Spoiler :

And the victory:
Spoiler :

This was my first participation in the GOTM series

Welcome to GotM! Don't let the 'pros' results get you down, haha. I hope you will consider this a fun, worthwhile training ground. Learning from the discussion is a great way to up your game so feel free to replay with different game experimentation after you've submitted. Thanks for joining us.

Top Bottom