[TSL] Yet (not) Another Earth Maps Pack

Install windows 7 64bit, you have 8GB of RAM in your system and on windows 32bit it only uses around 3GB meaning you have 5GB of ram doing nothing. Doing this should help reduce your crashes a bit.

Thanks. I honestly did not notice the version of Windows 7 I had installed. I'll try the 64 bit version soon and see how that goes.

My giant game always crashes after aprox. 300 turns and I never seem to get past that number of turns without a crash. I've done everything that was written down under "Troubleshooting".

This is from the log file:

[59942.978] Initializing Lua 5.1.4
[60003.070] Credits: Header type not found.
[60021.821] InstalledPanel: Refreshing Mods
[60021.837] InstalledPanel: Refreshing Mods
[60021.868] InstalledPanel: Refreshing Mods
[60125.265] CivilopediaScreen: SetSelectedCategory(12)
[60125.265] CivilopediaScreen: CivilopediaCategory[CategoryTerrain].DisplayList
[60125.343] CivilopediaScreen: SetSelectedCategory(1)
[60125.343] CivilopediaScreen: CivilopediaCategory[CategoryHomePage].DisplayList
[60127.215] GenericPopup: Loaded Popup - Assets\UI\InGame\PopupsGeneric\ConfirmImprovementRebuildPopup.lua
[60127.215] GenericPopup: Loaded Popup - Assets\UI\InGame\PopupsGeneric\CityPlotManagementPopup.lua
[60127.215] GenericPopup: Loaded Popup - Assets\UI\InGame\PopupsGeneric\ConfirmCommandPopup.lua
[60127.215] GenericPopup: Loaded Popup - Assets\UI\InGame\PopupsGeneric\MinorCivEnterTerritoryPopup.lua
[60127.215] GenericPopup: Loaded Popup - Assets\UI\InGame\PopupsGeneric\LiberateMinorPopup.lua
[60127.215] GenericPopup: Loaded Popup - Assets\UI\InGame\PopupsGeneric\ReturnCivilianPopup.lua
[60127.215] GenericPopup: Loaded Popup - Assets\UI\InGame\PopupsGeneric\AnnexCityPopup.lua
[60127.215] GenericPopup: Loaded Popup - Assets\UI\InGame\PopupsGeneric\DeclareWarMovePopup.lua
[60127.215] GenericPopup: Loaded Popup - Assets\UI\InGame\PopupsGeneric\BarbarianRansomPopup.lua
[60127.215] GenericPopup: Loaded Popup - Assets\UI\InGame\PopupsGeneric\ConfirmGiftPopup.lua
[60127.215] GenericPopup: Loaded Popup - Assets\UI\InGame\PopupsGeneric\ConfirmCityTaskPopup.lua
[60127.215] GenericPopup: Loaded Popup - Assets\UI\InGame\PopupsGeneric\PuppetCityPopup.lua
[60127.215] GenericPopup: Loaded Popup - Assets\UI\InGame\PopupsGeneric\GreatPersonPopup.lua
[60127.215] GenericPopup: Loaded Popup - Assets\UI\InGame\PopupsGeneric\DeclareWarRangeStrikePopup.lua
[60127.215] GenericPopup: Loaded Popup - Assets\UI\InGame\PopupsGeneric\ConfirmPolicyBranchPopup.lua
[60127.215] GenericPopup: Loaded Popup - Assets\UI\InGame\PopupsGeneric\MinorCivGoldPopup.lua
[60128.635] Runtime Error: [string "C:\Users\Gustaf\Documents\My Games\Sid Meie..."]:216: attempt to call global 'OnLoading' (a nil value)
[60128.635] Runtime Error: Error loading C:\Users\Gustaf\Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 5\MODS\Yet (not) Another Earth Maps Pack (v 7)\LUA\YnaemInGame.lua.
[60235.854] Tutorial: City building complete
[60248.194] NotificationPanel: Unknown Notification, Adding generic 92
[60284.355] ProductionPopup: AdvisorControl could not be found

I've had two crashes, both after about 100 turns. Can't play this map beyond that point. I need to set up logging and try again to see if I can create a relevant and perhaps useful crash log.

Hello i'm having problems trying to launch your mod.

I load the mod, go to custom game, choose my civ and a couple sets (difficulty, lenght, etc.) but as soon as i get to the loading screen (with the voice-over explaining each civ) the game crashes.

I have 1.0.1.167 patch set so the game is up to the last patch, I tryed using it with some other mods (like History in the Making) or without any other mods, and problem is still there.

I'm attaching the log to see if you can help me figure out what the problem is.

Thanks

Attachments

• Lua.txt
    27.5 KB · Views: 173
China start location is in Brazil`s place, why`s that? Tried 2 times...

China start location is in Brazil`s place, why`s that? Tried 2 times...

Hmm, thats never happened to me before :o Try reinstalling the mod. I kinda had a similar problem when I played as Spain, and it was just a regular normal map.

With the upcoming patch, they are implementing this feature: Cities must now have three or more tiles in between them (1 more tile than before), unless separated by a sea/coast tile.

This could be a problem for England and Japan. Since their land masses are kind of small, they won't have much room to create new cities, which could be unfortunate. I think you should release a mod, or something, that reverts that feature back to it originally was, or just get rid of city seperation via installation of the mod, or something.

YnAEMP is a map pack using a custom advanced setup menu and realistic random resource placement. Now you can use a TSL map with custom option : select exactly how many and which civilizations you want in game, set your victory condition and other game options usually unavailable when using this kind of maps.

menu screen :
Spoiler :

option list :
Spoiler :
City-States : allow you to select which cities will be in game.
- All CS : the game will randomly select the requested number of CS from the MinorCivilizations table.
- Pre-Selection : use a specific list for the map selected
- American Nations : the pre-selection, and native american nation in the new world

When the Madeira's selection mod is activated, all those options are unavailable,
and I recommand to use the preselection option with the Ynaemp Minor Civs mod activated.

CS Placement : placement option for the city-states
- Pre-Selection : specific list for the map selected
- Only TSL : use only CS that have a TSL (40 available for giant earth, 23 for huge and 12 for standard)
- Random and TSL : this option will use TSL for the CS that the script can place, and use random selection for the others or those which were too close of another civ
- Totally random : All City States get random placement

City-States separation : minimum distance between CS and other civs. This will not be used when using the Totally random option, and will replace randomly a CS with TSL that is placed under the minimum distance when using the Random and TSL option. When you use it with the other options, the script may not be able to place as much CS as selected in the top slider.

Resources : a coefficient appliqued to the number of resources placed on the map. Note that by defaut the number of resource is also scaled depending of the number of players (CS included)

Bosphorus Strait is a sea : place a sea tile between the Black Sea and the Aegean Sea. If not checked, a river will represent the Bosphorus and Dardanelles straits.

Remove United States from game : if you want to use a random selection of civs and be sure that the USA won't be present in the new world 2000BC, then this option is for you. If you choose to play at the USA, this option will have no effect.
It will remove the US units at the start of the game, so if you select 10 random computer civs and USA was one of them, you'll get only 9 civs in game...

Add major deposits of strategic resources : will try to place the deposits defined in the ResourceRegionPos.xml file. Currently, all major oil and coal deposits are defined (see the <Resource_YagemGisementPosition> part of the XML).

Use true geographic resource placement : this option will prevent some resources to be placed in the wrong region. For example, Ivory will only be found in Africa and South-Asia, you won't find spice or silk in europe, no horses in America, etc... The region position are defined in the ResourceRegionPos.xml file, and the resource exclusion is set in the ResourceRegionExclude.xml file.

Add specific resources at starting positions : Place resources (set in the CivilizationsRequestedResource.xml file) for each civilization. You can set up to 5 resources to be placed for each civs.

Don't scale resources with players : when checked, the resources won't be scaled to the number of players, without this, if you launch a game with 20 civs and 40 City States, you can get a map with more ressources than you may want...

The realistic random resource placement options are only available for the giant and huge maps.

Actual map list

(screenshots size are relative to map size)

- Yet Another Giant Earth Map (180x94) : edition and convertion of Genghis Kai GEM for civ4
Spoiler :

- Yet Another Huge Earth Map (120x80) : Dale's huge Earth edited with Europe and Japan upscaled
Spoiler :

- Standard Earth Map (80x52) : a cordiform projection version made by smellymummy
Spoiler :

All civs have true starting locations for those maps. The TSL for civs and CS are set via XML files, this way custom civs and CS could be added without needing to edit the maps...

Installation

- Important : when updating always remove the previous version of any mod from your mod folder

- download the civ5mod file to your mod folder (..\My Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 5\MODS).
- launch civ5, go to the mod browser and click "install mod"
- find the "Yet not Another Earth Maps Pack" line and activate the mod.
- from the mod section, go to single player and then to custom game
- do not use the classic set up game option, to get the new advanced setup menu, you must go in custom game, then select Yet (not) Another Earth Maps and click on Load Mod

As a complement, there are 3 independant city-states mods with TSL designed specially for this map pack :
- Madeira's Selection of ancient city-states to use with the giant map only
- YnAEMP default selection (no overlapping start positions)
- YnAEMP extended selection, with 45 CS with TSL. Due to game engine limitation, only 41 can be loaded in game, and on those, some may be erased at start because of overlapping start location.

Those three add-on mods shouldn't be activated at the same time, if you do it the custom game setup menu will tell you and refuse to launch ;)

And I strongly suggest the use of my conversion for YnAEMP of mihaifx's City States Leaders mod (see screenshot below)
Spoiler :

Compatibility

- Some files may need to be merged : MapGenerator.lua and WorldBuilderRandomItems.lua if they are used by another mod.
- Those files modified by the City States Leaders mod if you use it : CityStateDiploPopup.lua, CityStateDiploPopup.xml, CityStateGreetingPopup.lua and CityStateGreetingPopup.xml
- This mod reinitialize and change 3 resources table : Resource_TerrainBooleans, Resource_FeatureTerrainBooleans, and Resource_FeatureBooleans. Any mod updating those tables should be loaded after this one.

Customize

- Add a new TSL for a custom civilization / city state
Spoiler :

you can add a TSL for any custom civ by editing the CivilizationsStartPos.xml file (or MinorCivStartPos.xml for a city state).

you need 2 things :
- the civilization type name (like "CIVILIZATION_ARABIA") that you'll find in the custom civ mod files.
- the tile location of the map you want to use it in.

for example, if you want to add the dutch TSL on the giant map, open Earth_Giant_blank.Civ5Map in the world builder, locate the plot here (edit plot tab) and note it (I'll use plot 16,70).

then find the tag <Civilizations_YagemStartPosition> (or <MinorCiv_YagemStartPosition> for CS) in CivilizationsStartPos.xml (or MinorCivStartPos.xml for CS), and add a row like this:

Code:
		<Row>
			<Type>CIVILIZATION_DUTCH</Type>
			<X>16</X>
			<Y>70</Y>
		</Row>

(search/insert in the <Civilizations_YagemStartPosition> tag for the huge map and <Civilizations_CordiformStartPosition> for the standard map)

(note that I havn't checked if "CIVILIZATION_DUTCH" is the right type, verify in the dutch mod ;) )

save your change and try to start a game selecting the Dutch, if all civs start at random pos, then you may have made a typo in the XML file.

you're limited to 22 major civs in game atm, if you have all the DLC then you'll have at least one civ missing in game if you use any custom civ.

Troubleshooting

Before reporting a bug, please try the following :
- Delete the content of your game cache folder (..\My Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 5\cache\)
- Enable lua loging : open the config.ini file (in "..\My Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 5") with notepad or any other text editor, find the line with "LoggingEnabled = 0" and replace by "LoggingEnabled = 1"
- Launch YnAEMP, and if you still have the bug go to the "..\My Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 5\Logs" folder, open Lua.log with your text editor, and send me a PM with a copy/paste of the content of the file with a description of your problem. (or save the log as a .txt file and post it here)

Known bug

- In some cases, a wrong map is loaded when selecting the giant earth map, resulting in wrong starting location for all civs (see this post). Possible workaround : try to select the huge or standard map then reselect the giant map in the custom option menu.

To do

- fix the wrong map loading bug (I still can't reproduce it on my PC...)
- convert the realistic random resource placement for the standard map
- add new natural wonders at semi-random position
- make a dynamic history mod

Credits and Thanx :

Genghis Kai, Dale, smellymummy for their great maps :goodjob:
Madeira, PseRamesses and everyone on this thread for test reports, comments, suggestions and help debugging the mod
mihaifx for the City States Leaders mod

Version history
Spoiler :

v0.7 (Jan 31, 2011):
- added a third independant City State mod "extended" with 45 CS with TSL. Due to game engine limitation, only 41 can be loaded, and on those, some may be erased at start because of overlapping start location.
- tweaked the default CS mod (remove some overlapping CS transfered to the "extended" mod)
- added Lisbon (Portugal) City-State in default and extended CS mods
- Madrid and Cuzco automatically removed from database when using newworld DLC
- fix Inca/Maya starting position on huge map
- Ynaemp city State Leaders mod is now independant
- Compatibility check (only one city state mod allowed) added to the custom setup screen
- lots of small tweaks to prepare the (future) inclusion of Dynamic History mod
- added some more debug output to track the wrong map loading bug
- added Potoso position on the Giant Map (if the DLC is available)

v0.6 (Jan 16, 2011):
- changed name of map files
- added realistic resource placement option for huge map
- added deposit resource placement option for huge map
- added Rabat (Morroco) and Dakar (Senegal) City-States
- the special selections of city states are now independant mods to prevent bugs when reloading a game
- added background picture

v0.5 (Dec 18, 2010):
- compatibility: update mod for patch 1.0.1.135
- redraw (enlarge) UK islands
- splitted CS ingame option to selection option and placement option
- added Madeira's selection for testing purpose on giant earth
- added True Starting Location for Spain and Inca on all maps
- fixed bug: no resources where placed if using civs with no TSL
- fixed bug: don't assume that preselected civs alway exist
- fixed bug: once selected, the "no us" option wasn't modifiable
- tweaked civ's specific resources: added fish and fur to England, fish and pearl to Japan
- changed separation option (minimum, close, medium, away) for CS to 2,4,6,9 tiles (was 2,5,7,10)
- changed resource quantity option (poor, sparse, standard, abundant, riche) coefficient to 0.25, 0.5, 1, 2, 4 (was 0.33, 0.75, 1, 1.5, 2)
- tweaked some civs starting positions on giant earth (thanx to PseRamesses)
- compatibility: removed dependancy to ingame.xml (thanx to smellymummy)
- merged "City States Leaders" mod by mihaifx

v0.4 (Nov 16, 2010):
- added option "Add specific resources at starting positions" for all maps
- "resource quantity" and "don't scale resouce" are now available for huge and standard map
- fixed position of Kuala Lumpur and Jakarta on huge map

v0.3 (Nov 14, 2010):
- fix a bug allowing (sometime a lot) more resources than needed to be placed
- added options: one to specify the quantity of resources to place and the "don't scale the resource with number of players" option
- tweak the resources placement
- use better code for deposits placement
- allow water resource to be placed really offshore

v0.2 (Nov 12, 2010):
- added the realistic random resource placement function
- create the XML files to use the r.r.r. placement with the Giant map
- some fixes and bug squashing

v0.1 (Nov 8, 2010):
- first release

Dear Gedemon,

This might sound stupid, but how do you download it?
Sorry to disturb you

Truly yours,
His Awesomeness

Hello Gedemon!

I have been coming to this site for mods since the civ 4 days, but never had a reason to register... until now :p

I have been trying to get ynaemp to play nice for a couple days now. I've cleared most the major hurdles, but have one last problem.

On the giant map, I started as Japan with the "place specific resources at start" option selected... after looking at the xml file, the resources I should have been starting with were iron, whales, fish, and pearls. I received none of these. I also took a look at the map to see that the rest of the civs didn't seem to be getting their resources either... Tried multiple times and got the same result. Was wondering if you might be able to shed some light on the problem?

Some possibly helpful info:
-I have edited the "CivilizationsRequestedResource" and "CivilizationsStartPos" xml files to make use of some custom civs (There is a typo in the resource request file, btw... CIVILIZATION_SONGHAI was misspelled as CIVILIZATION_SHONGAI)
-I am running CCMAT II, Hukkak revised extra civs pack, and saner AI city locations
-game in question was 18 civs on the giant map. Resources were set to standard (maybe I need to up it to abundant?) real world resource allocation on, civ specific resources on...

Thanks in advance and sorry for the long post. Let me know if there is any advice you can give :)

*Edit* Through the wonders of troubleshooting, I have solved my own problem... Well, half of it anyway. I removed the starting resources for the custom civs and that fixed the problem... If I wanted to add custom starting resources for a custom civ, what other files would I need to edit? Or is there some other piece of information I am missing?

I too am having issues with crashes, around 300 turns. It isn't a hardware issue as I have 8GB of memory running windows 7 64 bit. Civ 5 was using just over 1GB of private bytes anyway at the time it crashes, so I don't think it's memory. I believe that 32 bit applications can use up to 2GB of memory (but it's capped there).

So after I have started a game and click on "Begin jorney" I only see white fog and the DEFEAT screen comes up. Its like the map is broken or my settlers dosnt spawn

[233.315] YnaemInGame: -------------------------------
[233.315] YnaemInGame: Ynaemp script started
[233.315] YnaemInGame: Mapcheck was negative, do nothing
[252.191] EndGameMenu: Play audio: AS2D_VICTORY_SPEECH_LOSS

Edit: Latest civ5 patch fixed this >.<

Will you update the game so the polynesians can be in it as well?....great map to btw!!!

Ahh! Please help! I really want to download this but in my mod folder nothing is there! Can someone please help??!!

Dear Gedemon,

I cant get the giant earth map working, it always crashes before loading the map.
How do I fix it?

:help:

Truly yours,
HisAwesomeness

Possible bug to report, though it may be Mac-specific (it takes a while to test for so I haven't had a chance to try on Windows as well). Basically, when you select the map-size, something happens to any already selected AI civs (and presumably happens even if you haven't selected any yet), this seems intended to reduce the number of civs to an ideal value for the map-size, while a nice idea I don't think that messing with selected civilisations is a good thing, as picking civilisations in Civilisation 5 is so damned unwieldy and slow!
However, when I actually play a game I'm finding that I end up with 18-19 civs in play, even though I never want to select more than 12 as Civilisation 5 for Mac becomes very crash-prone mid-game with any more than that. It seems that all civilisations are being switched on, even though they don't appear in the list on the custom set-up screen, sometimes duplicate civilisations as well (a few times I've seen Russia wiped out only to meet them a few turns later). I haven't tried removing players or anything to counter this yet as I'm still chugging through a game, though if it starts crashing I'll have to start again :(

Also, just wanted to add some observations about the various restricted start civilisations as I've now played most starting locations (all on the Giant map):

Greece
Only really has enough room for two cities, so while Alexander is typically very aggressive he'll get picked on and overwhelmed after a while in most games except where he's able to expand himself or gain a lot of friends. An aggressive player can make a go of it, but any other strategy is a bit of a struggle as while culture gain is fast with two cities it's hard to manage them properly. Access to resources is a bit of a pain as poor luck can leave you starved of useful luxury resources.
Never has any ancient ruins.

Italy
Quite small again, though enough room for four cities or so. However, with minimum city-state separation it's very likely to be reduced as Venice, Monaco, and Geneva can end up dominating the north. A player can of course seize these for themselves early in the game which can actually be an advantage, but will cripple diplomacy and leave them in a permanent war with city-states for the rest of the game.
Resources are fairly good, but that might be partly due to city-states appearing in the north, are city-states assigned a minimum number of resources? In my game where the city-states were to the north it was very resource-rich, though mostly all wine with a tile of marble further down (though nowhere near Rome).
No ancient ruins.

Japan
Of the two island starts Japan is probably the best as it usually has access to fairly varied luxury resources and decent productivity tiles.
It has one ancient ruin if I remember right.

Britain
Still has a tendency to be starved of resources, particularly luxuries. This is a bigger deal for an island start as it's not possible to expand until embarkation is developed. In particular, the starting location for Edinburgh tends to have all the best productivity resources which makes London a fairly weak capital, however Edinburgh has poor access to food, so it's productive and stagnant, or growing but unproductive.
One ancient ruin.

Comparing these four to other starts and they get a bit of a short end of the stick. All other civs have plenty of room to grow, and some in particular such as India have no shortage of resources and ideal farmland for productivity, happiness and growth with almost no effort. This can mean that expansion is the only way to compete properly, but that isn't easy for Britain and Japan. Japan is still fairly playable, but Britain still isn't on higher difficulties. While the requested resources feature is definitely working, the resource placement still seems to have bugs in it as half as the resources I request will end up across the channel, or even when they end up on Britain they're quite far away. London lacks much in the way of productivity which is a problem as well, some central England hills with guaranteed starting resources could help immensely on that front.

Rome and Greece are both fairly playable, but could do with a bit more land-mass. With Spain being added in DLC it may be worth stretching Europe a bit to the west to enlarge Spain, then Italy could be shifted over and enlarged a little, with Greece getting some added land-mass where it is. The bulk of the civilisations in the game are focused around Europe after all, which makes games on your maps particularly interesting, but it's common for some of the smaller ones to be squashed a bit early, and they're pretty difficult for a human player.

Some of the recent updates to Civilisation 5 itself have helped with this, particularly the addition of more national wonders since they're much easier to obtain for small civilisations, but these minor considerations could help to make it a bit more balanced. A possible solution might be to declare an area modifier to the resource frequency, so that restricted starts become more resource-rich than larger ones; not realistic I know, but it would help, particularly in games where a lot of civilisations are crushed together, which is typically the case of the European area.

Ancient ruins are also still a particular annoyance, as India can easily gather up four or five, while some starts aren't within a viable distance of any at all. In my most recent game I saw a civilisation with 8 technologies in the first "Mostest Literate People" table, while no-one else had more than 3, presumably because of ancient ruins. For starts that only get one the ancient ruin can usually end up being something fairly worthless, I mean the gold rewards don't appear to scale with game-length or if they do they're still quite pathetic. I've been playing with most games with ancient ruins disabled as a result as they're almost always just an extra advantage to bigger civs. Not sure what can be done about them though.

I've got somewhat of a huge problem when trying to play with this mod. Whenever I try to start a game, the game just crashes during the loading screen. My civ5 is fully up to date and I got both Scenario packs.

Thanx everyone for comments and reports, sorry for the delayed answer, I had less time to mod lately. :(

So after I have started a game and click on "Begin jorney" I only see white fog and the DEFEAT screen comes up. Its like the map is broken or my settlers dosnt spawn

[233.315] YnaemInGame: Ynaemp script started
[233.315] YnaemInGame: Mapcheck was negative, do nothing
[252.191] EndGameMenu: Play audio: AS2D_VICTORY_SPEECH_LOSS

Edit: Latest civ5 patch fixed this >.<

I'll like to know who else has some issues (map not loading, wrong starting position for all civs, crash at loading, crash in late game) fixed by latest civ patch...

With the upcoming patch, they are implementing this feature: Cities must now have three or more tiles in between them (1 more tile than before), unless separated by a sea/coast tile.

This could be a problem for England and Japan. Since their land masses are kind of small, they won't have much room to create new cities, which could be unfortunate. I think you should release a mod, or something, that reverts that feature back to it originally was, or just get rid of city seperation via installation of the mod, or something.
Yep, I'll try to set it back to 2. Ideally, as said before, I'll like to implement restriction by earth region.

*Edit* Through the wonders of troubleshooting, I have solved my own problem... Well, half of it anyway. I removed the starting resources for the custom civs and that fixed the problem... If I wanted to add custom starting resources for a custom civ, what other files would I need to edit? Or is there some other piece of information I am missing?
I'll have a look at this issue, the log (with custom starting resources for custom civs) could help me here if you can post it ;)

Will you update the game so the polynesians can be in it as well?....great map to btw!!!
Yep, I'll just need the reference used for the polynesian civ in the DLC XML.

Dear Gedemon,

I cant get the giant earth map working, it always crashes before loading the map.
How do I fix it?

:help:

Truly yours,
HisAwesomeness

Try the old giant map mod alone, if it still crash then it's most surely a hardware issue (not meaning a unstable PC, but a hardware resources problem)

Possible bug to report, though it may be Mac-specific (it takes a while to test for so I haven't had a chance to try on Windows as well). Basically, when you select the map-size, something happens to any already selected AI civs (and presumably happens even if you haven't selected any yet), this seems intended to reduce the number of civs to an ideal value for the map-size, while a nice idea I don't think that messing with selected civilisations is a good thing, as picking civilisations in Civilisation 5 is so damned unwieldy and slow!
Yes, the number of civs selected change with each maps. I wanted to add an option menu with some preselections (like old world civs only), and I need to change the way it's handled at some point anyway for my Dynamic History Mod. But I can't give you an ETA.

However, when I actually play a game I'm finding that I end up with 18-19 civs in play, even though I never want to select more than 12 as Civilisation 5 for Mac becomes very crash-prone mid-game with any more than that. It seems that all civilisations are being switched on, even though they don't appear in the list on the custom set-up screen, sometimes duplicate civilisations as well (a few times I've seen Russia wiped out only to meet them a few turns later). I haven't tried removing players or anything to counter this yet as I'm still chugging through a game, though if it starts crashing I'll have to start again :(
That's maybe Mac-specific, in my tests I never had more civs ingame than I had selected in the custom menu, and no duplicate civs either.

Also, just wanted to add some observations about the various restricted start civilisations as I've now played most starting locations (all on the Giant map):

Greece
Only really has enough room for two cities, so while Alexander is typically very aggressive he'll get picked on and overwhelmed after a while in most games except where he's able to expand himself or gain a lot of friends. An aggressive player can make a go of it, but any other strategy is a bit of a struggle as while culture gain is fast with two cities it's hard to manage them properly. Access to resources is a bit of a pain as poor luck can leave you starved of useful luxury resources.
Never has any ancient ruins.

Italy
Quite small again, though enough room for four cities or so. However, with minimum city-state separation it's very likely to be reduced as Venice, Monaco, and Geneva can end up dominating the north. A player can of course seize these for themselves early in the game which can actually be an advantage, but will cripple diplomacy and leave them in a permanent war with city-states for the rest of the game.
Resources are fairly good, but that might be partly due to city-states appearing in the north, are city-states assigned a minimum number of resources? In my game where the city-states were to the north it was very resource-rich, though mostly all wine with a tile of marble further down (though nowhere near Rome).
No ancient ruins.

Japan
Of the two island starts Japan is probably the best as it usually has access to fairly varied luxury resources and decent productivity tiles.
It has one ancient ruin if I remember right.

Britain
Still has a tendency to be starved of resources, particularly luxuries. This is a bigger deal for an island start as it's not possible to expand until embarkation is developed. In particular, the starting location for Edinburgh tends to have all the best productivity resources which makes London a fairly weak capital, however Edinburgh has poor access to food, so it's productive and stagnant, or growing but unproductive.
One ancient ruin.

Comparing these four to other starts and they get a bit of a short end of the stick. All other civs have plenty of room to grow, and some in particular such as India have no shortage of resources and ideal farmland for productivity, happiness and growth with almost no effort. This can mean that expansion is the only way to compete properly, but that isn't easy for Britain and Japan. Japan is still fairly playable, but Britain still isn't on higher difficulties. While the requested resources feature is definitely working, the resource placement still seems to have bugs in it as half as the resources I request will end up across the channel, or even when they end up on Britain they're quite far away. London lacks much in the way of productivity which is a problem as well, some central England hills with guaranteed starting resources could help immensely on that front.

Rome and Greece are both fairly playable, but could do with a bit more land-mass. With Spain being added in DLC it may be worth stretching Europe a bit to the west to enlarge Spain, then Italy could be shifted over and enlarged a little, with Greece getting some added land-mass where it is. The bulk of the civilisations in the game are focused around Europe after all, which makes games on your maps particularly interesting, but it's common for some of the smaller ones to be squashed a bit early, and they're pretty difficult for a human player.

Some of the recent updates to Civilisation 5 itself have helped with this, particularly the addition of more national wonders since they're much easier to obtain for small civilisations, but these minor considerations could help to make it a bit more balanced. A possible solution might be to declare an area modifier to the resource frequency, so that restricted starts become more resource-rich than larger ones; not realistic I know, but it would help, particularly in games where a lot of civilisations are crushed together, which is typically the case of the European area.

Ancient ruins are also still a particular annoyance, as India can easily gather up four or five, while some starts aren't within a viable distance of any at all. In my most recent game I saw a civilisation with 8 technologies in the first "Mostest Literate People" table, while no-one else had more than 3, presumably because of ancient ruins. For starts that only get one the ancient ruin can usually end up being something fairly worthless, I mean the gold rewards don't appear to scale with game-length or if they do they're still quite pathetic. I've been playing with most games with ancient ruins disabled as a result as they're almost always just an extra advantage to bigger civs. Not sure what can be done about them though.

Thank you for this report :goodjob:

Thinking of it again, it may be already possible for anyone using the mod to add an extra layer of resources for european civs, or even more specific region (yep, just England or Greece, Rome...) by editig the existing "ResourceRegionPos.xml" and adding new "gisements" in <Resource_YagemGisementPosition> (of course the "Add major deposits of strategic resources" option should be checked then)

Something else that I may add is to make the "embark" promotion available earlier for some civs.

I don't plan to expand europe again, but alternate methods to help the crowed area could be added and suggetions are welcome, and btw I recommand using the City state diplo mod, as it's making easier to ally with closest CS...

On a note side, CS are not assigned more resources in this mod (as opposed to vanilla civ), they start with what has been randomly placed there, depending of the resources placement options selected. I may expand the civ specific resource option to CS later.

And when using the civ specific resources option, all requested resources should end on the same landmass of the civ's starting location, if it can't be placed here, the reource is discarded. Or there's a bug in my code, so a screenshot of the ingame region with log and copy of CivilizationsRequestedResource.xml would help :)

Hi, some comments after many many trial runs;

I've added Dutch in the game at TSL and played them several times now with different resource settings, but have found the general area of central en western europe to be scracely resourced. As a result the Dutch but especially Germany struggles to grow in immediate surroundings and immediately placed second city Hamburg in far of places with a luxury resource.

How can I make this region more resource heavy?

Another thing that has annoyed me is that to make the same scenario load everytime, I have to enter all of my desired settings again and again. Can you add something like a 'last used settings' option which auto-selects settings and civs in the menuscreen?

Cheers

i should of put this with my message before but will i be able to play with all 23 civs not just the 22 and have to leave 1 civ out

Top Bottom