Turn 3200 - New city

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dell19

Take a break
After the late decision to pop the hut with the legion, I was suprised that for once we didn't get a unit and instead we got a city, which needs naming. I only played one turn because of this and also because the legion and archer that are both to the west need new orders for exploration.

Also the chariot can either go North to explore on the next turn or we can hope that there will be less forests once it starets moving to the south.

Heres the saved game:

We should finish CB in the next batch of turns and then I think we are meant to be researching Alphabet.

Heres the screenshot of our new city (Without its name being changed):

Attachments

• main.jpg
    main.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 238
I say that we should take a chance and move the chariot into the forest on the next turn. If we get lucky then we can move through after that onto some "nice" terrain (grassland, plains, desert, tundra) but if we meet even more forest then we can reevaluate. The placing of this new city will provoke lots of debate I predict. I expect that initially it will have lots of corruption trouble, but on second thoughts it's not that far from the capital so we could be all right. I don't expect it to be a phenomenal city, but fortuntely it doesn't take either of the two specials we can see so we can still grab them with a city that we choose where to site. :) It'lll certainly get the science moving along much better. :goodjob:

Btw it would be quite nice if the city was named after the first president of this game ;) The archer could go to TF and swap places with the horse, whilst the legion to the west can explore the coastline NE of it. Are we going to leave the other legion for defence in the new city or shall we continue to explore the surrounding area? It would make sense for the legion to explore the six tiles that we cannot see in Dellville's city area and then it could return to the city. Also what are we going to build in the new city?

I've tried to update the map with the special locations. I've also put in a couple of possible locations for cities.

Someone might want to check that I've got the locations right - the green squares are specials, the red outlines are proposed cities.

Attachments

• main.jpg
    main.jpg
    162.1 KB · Views: 223
From my map, I'd like to give consideration to rapidly exploring the possible 4-specials area to the north of the legion. What would be good is a high-production city up in that area somewhere in which we can build a barracks and churn out a few offensive units - for barbs and any other civs. The whales are good production, and it would be nice to know what the other specials are. Hopefully a pheasant or even coal :)

You're going to be in trouble with the new domestic advisor for forgetting to include GaryNemo's beloved filler city in between the two main cities. ;)
Nice plan, but why have you not chosen to use the three possible specials with the wine and the oasis? Just because we would have to share squares with another city on the rivers seems strange to ignore the potential bonus.

We could be unlucky with the possible city to the north if its not connected to the mainland although it should be.

Ainwood, shouldn't the city at the southern end of the river be built on the river as per reasons mentioned in the previous thread?

Anyway, we should send the western legion to the north to explore this 4th 4-special site. The Chariot should continue eastwards, as for the archer, send it back to TF?

Oh, and I almost forgot:

Snibopple

Since I've been nominated for Foreign Minister I thought I'd add my two-penneth here!

I also think send the legion in the east northwards up the coast, send the chariot south to investigate the possible city site. I'd suggest using the legion in Ninevah to initially reveal the final city squares before deciding whether or not to carry on exploring or defend the city.

Originally posted by ainwood
Yes, everyone please ignore my city placements!:cry:

The general positions are still okay though :) They just need a bit more refining.

Thank you, Dell, for making our move. And thank you, Duke, for thinking of my beloved. Ainwood, I accept your apology and look forward to working with you. We are a team, and people are encouraged to accept challenges, and hence sometimes make mistakes.

My concern with the plan is the lack of a bridge city at the south end of the river. But I like many ideas of the plan, and am not clear yet what to suggest.

Regarding the city along the road to Regia Civitas, I think the malaise stems from a lack of rationale to choose any one site over another. As we learn more, it may become clear. And our new hut city certainly is a fly in our optimizing ointment. But we must be grateful, it yields more science, right now.

The problem with the Legion being supported by Regia Civitas ends now, next turn. We must carefully consider whether to rehome the Legion to its new found city, or leave it RC.

I'm going to post a poll on city naming, and the TFalls Settler, which is coming in a scant 5 turns.

Originally posted by Jayne
I'd suggest using the legion in Ninevah to initially reveal the final city squares before deciding whether or not to carry on exploring or defend the city.

:goodjob:
Great idea! I always like to do this for my cities and since if we support the legion from [unnamed city] then it won't have any production, I say to keep the legion supported by RC and use it to look around the new city but not leave it undefended until it can build its own troops. We're going to need some domestic advisor advice on this one. Gary, take it away. :)

Quite right, Jayne & Duke. I just checked, and our new city is one production and one waste. But I think it could handle the one support without a problem. But more importantly, Regia Civitas will no longer suffer from supporting this Legion.

Let's not rehome the Legion. And surely walk around nearby. We can decide to rehome the Legion if/when it walks back.

Has nobody thought of disbanding this city and replacing it according to our previous plans? It seems to be messing up at least a couple city sites at the moment, and by domino effect several others I'd like to see discussion on disbanding by building a settler and resettling someplace else. And until that discussion is complete, obviously we want to avoid rehoming the Legion, who in the meantime should explore north of the city, and the other legion explore the coast north as well. The Chariot I would probably agree send south even though it's forest.

I'd be in favor of keeping the city. It may work better than we all think There are still many places to put a city.

As for future exploration, can we get the legion to explore north of RC? There's land up there, and it's definetly connected.

Originally posted by Leowind
Has nobody thought of disbanding this city and replacing it according to our previous plans? It seems to be messing up at least a couple city sites at the moment, and by domino effect several others I'd like to see discussion on disbanding by building a settler and resettling someplace else. And until that discussion is complete, obviously we want to avoid rehoming the Legion

This is also my thought right now.

Unless we can make the city work into a good city scheme, I would like to see it disbanded and moved where we want. It will still be a 'free' city, just where we actually want it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom