Turnbased RPG Questable?!?

Sildo said:
Ask questions and get a tutorial at this thread, I think it even has a mini tutorial about XML on it.

Edit: I re-looked at the tutorial's website and it has a list of a Python functions in CIV

The one thing I would be carful with when trying this mod is not making it too scripted. Some events are good, alot may be better, but too many and the game with involve very little stratagy, just alot of clicking where the computer tells you.

Once again good luck.

As i explained in the first post, the first scenarios will probably be more heavily scripted, but will allow for the characters to do more of whatever they want later. They could skip quests, jump ahead, wander around a world in search of caves and monsters, and special things. I want to get a way in for many quests where you have multiple options on how to do the quest
(i could PM you on that if you want, but i dont intend on releasing it to everybody just yet.) I have a good idea on how to do this, i just needed some tutorials, and time. Also, many scenarios will be very open, where you can fight battles on huge fields and hold strategic positions (i hope to get to a point where the character will eventually have to chose which positions he/she thinks is more important by defending it, which means that the other one will be destroyed). This mod should be rather scripted, but it will not be a one way road. It will fork, U-turn, or maybe even dead end...

Thanks for the site.

Thing is, I've never modded Civ IV before and my attempts at Civ III weren't published on the net coz... well I only did one scenario and I didn't know how to upload. And I've never done any graphics changing :( (though I'd like to give it a try :D )

You mentioned seperate races, and I kinda thought maybe you could make more than one UU for each seperate civ and don't have units that everyone can have, that way each civ has it's own race/characters.

Multiple scenarios... main campaign

... is that possible?

@ Loopy,

By multiple scenarios, i mean like multiple maps with a scripting that happens on that map. There will be 3+ starting scenarios (that will let you chose your character) and a campaign (string of maps with scripting) for each different hero. There will also be a main campaign which will be "Alike" for each player. The difference will not be in the scripting (as much), but instead in the starting locations and some other things (to encourage you to play your hero the way they should be played, Elf - stealthy assassin, Dwarf - chop away at the enemies' knees, Human - Mix of spells and sword, etc.). The main campaigns will eventually all lead up to the fall of Arcanus (or some other cool wizard name) where they team up... So, if some certain programs work, then yes, it is possible (currently I am waiting, no rush though, on some transport and such programs for units in python, and if that doesnt work, then some master Pythonater will have to help me {by writing the programs for me :) })

And yes, I will be doing full unique units, like an undead scourge, an orc horde, a brotherhood of dark mages... or i guess, someone else will make them and i will cut'n'paste.

Oh. Note, this is my third username, so i am not a complete noob...

I think this would be an awesome idea, and given how Python can handle things there are already a variety of options available for making a tactical RPG. However, it still sounds like a huge task.

What such a mod would need:
Artwork. Always in short supply. Sounds effects would be nice too.
AI. The conventional AI probably couldn't do anything better than suicide runs agaisnt the player's units. It might work, but it'd get boring fast.
A good gameplay model. I've been spoiled by the likes of FFT and Disgaea. I would like something somewhat comparable, gameplay wise. This part is very open ended.
Maps. I haven't the slightest clue how the game would handle multiple maps. Or transfer a hero from one map to another.

I was thinking, for my own mod, I'd like to see the ability to right click and "talk" to a unit.

It may require more than python, like the SDK, but I think it's possible, and could add a nice element to your mod as well.

@Kandalf

While this may be true, at the moment, I think that through some rewriting and SDK, and Pickle... This could change.

@Neomega

Ok, considering three new people have posted and you kind of brought up this subject, I am going to have custom leaderheads, so you can talk to units, through diplomacy, and by changing the effects of the answers you give, you can accept quests, add people to your "Party" (still thinking about that one) and maybe get people to give you information or persuade them to do a certain quest. I want to expand diplomacy a lot though, far beyond its possibilities at the moment, which shouldn't cause much problems, since most of this will be scripted (If A+B+C=14 and D=3 yada blah etc.....) Hhowever, if you can get this right clicking working, then i would love to see it. I could definately use it.

@Mylon

I agree that without artwork and sound this would not get its full potential, and would not immerse you in this other world like I intend it to (Civ 4 Vanilla takes place on Earth). The AI is something that I'm sure somebody will find the courage to tackle... it wil change its attacking and defending and casting and stealing techniques, so it shouldn't get boring. The interface and gameplay model should be excelent, for I believe that without these two things the whole idea of a mod is just *insert extremely vulgar adjective here* :)

If any of you would like to help with the modding process, just tell me, and I will try to tell you all I know (although it may come in fragments as I find it strewn across the dorm room floor.) If you want to help by finding links to graphics, sounds, or just putting in your ideas, please do that too.

(if you want, I'm sure you could get started on the XML files for the upgrade path...)

TO gunner,

I thank you for your compliment, and I will notify you if this mod evr reaches Alpha Testing...

I now decree that you will be able to chose your class, race, and sex. All of these will determine certain things, like strength, speed, spells, abilities, etc. I will do this with the civs. The sex will be done with the leaderhead (one of the new traits will be male/female). Plus you get to see what you look like. There will also be many unplayable "civs", with leaderheads that represent heroes. You can, in this way, talk to your "Party" or fellow hero. That's all I'm saying for now.

Note: How you look and what your sex is may cause certain people to act differently toward you...

I also think that one of the events in the beginning bit should be leveling up and choosing new abilities. Also, you don't have to give people a promotion that makes them weaker. Just give one that reduces their helth by 99%.

reduces health? But that's what casting spells is supposed to do, so that you cant go crazy with the spells. The minus defense and attack is so that you can cast just as many spells, but will not be as powerful a melee attacker. melee attackers will have less health, but no penalties. This means that their attack and defense will be more, but will have less health and therefore cannot cast as many spells (and certain spells may kill them if performed at anything other than full health). And as for choosing abilities and whatnot, that will come with the course of time. Your first quest, not your first battle, as in first post, has some quests and such that may be helpful in the beggining. Eventually your items and experience will become more powerful and better... You know, basic RPG type stuff.

Anybody got any ideas on how i should employ religion here? I'm kinda lost. Also I would appreciate it if you guys would would spread it aroud that I need some imperial castle walls (morrowind lore). This will be terrain, so maybe change hills to this. I want it so that if you line them up in a row of two

O-O
-O
O-O
-O
O-O

It makes a straight wall, two wide. I also want it so that a diagonal threesome with som surrounding clutter
-K-O
-K-O-K
-K-K-@-K-K
---K-K-O-O
K-K-K-K-K

make a tower in the center one (@)

So... I guess I'll have to wait for SDK to come out and then go around all the forums posting "Please view the link in my signature" in order to get anybody to post ant more or join the mod effort? And if that is the case, then come SDK release, the forums will find that each time I post, my post will end with "VIEW MY SIG OR I'LL GLUE YOU TO A WALL!!! Please?"

Oh, and I can tell how wierd and perhaps suckish this thing looks right now, so you dont have to tell me that. But if you were to join the mod team I would deffinately make this more interesting... Where are my notes?!? I will have to get back to you on this...

PM Me :)

TheNewSaint said:
Oh, and I can tell how wierd and perhaps suckish this thing looks right now, so you dont have to tell me that. But if you were to join the mod team I would deffinately make this more interesting... Where are my notes?!? I will have to get back to you on this...

PM Me :)

I like the idea of the terrain wall. Maybe you could somehow steal the aqueduct graphic to build it? I use building graphics as terrain to make ancient temples and sentry towers (a trick I learned from Master Lexx). Aqueducts may work just as well (maybe even city walls if you can figure out how it pays them out).

In my experience people need to see something exciting to get behind a project. Ideas alone don't do it. I have been watching the "Colonization of the Moon" project with an interested eye and they seem to have really caught fire now that they have screen shots of playing on the moons surface.

Play with it, make something unique and then you will start to get others to help out.

Just my 2 cents. I like your ideas so I want to see this mod happen. Good luck!

In my experience people need to see something exciting to get behind a project

That is pretty much what I was trying to say... The only problem being that... Umm.......

I dont think I can produce anything... It's really quite pathetic. :sad:

If crud wore shoes, I would be the crud on the crud's shoes... :wallbash:

If only I could find somebody out there who was not commited to a mod at the moment to help in a colaberative effort with a "Trial Version" of one scenario... Like a tutorial type anti-boringly suckish *not piece of paper with stuf written on it (and yes I did find that)* playable game. Oh well.

For now I just skulk and try not to burn as I am radiating an aura of extreme incompetence and lack of skill which will most likely be the reason this mod fails before it even gets off the ground. If you think about it, I don't even think the pilot turned on the engine...

*Walks away, knowing that if somebody feels sorry for him, then he truly is pathetic, and if nobody does, then he will just continue sulking...*

Howzat for a "Declaration of how a person who has been lying around the forums for at least three years has managed to learn basicly to cut 'n' paste and to press download..."

I'm at a loss here... Must GET OUT!!! INVISIBLE BOX SHRINKING CAN'T GETOUT AAAAA :help:

I will try. I'm just more of a concept guy...

OK!!! That's enough!!! This post is long enough!!! I will stop!!! Soon!!! 10!!! 9!!! 8!!! 7!!! *Skips to "2"*

1!!!

End of Post.

still alive?!
hope u didnt comit suicide after your last post.

I am working on my own mod now, and i will do a litte rpg style testings after that, can tell u my experiences with that or give you a chance to offer something exciting to the public. but that will take some time, so meanwhile you should try to figure out the system of the xml crosslinking, so you will know where to change what, to get a certain effect.

well, i will follow this thread, wish you good luck on your quest ;)

hey, I can do XML! I'll help. I could start working on the promotions, just get someone to make buttons for them, and we have the first screen shot.

Top Bottom