Turnsession 5 Research Discussion

Hmmm....I can live with Alphabet first. (I wish I could view the screanshots from work, bah) Anyway, after that, why not go for Construction? I think Lincoln will have Sailing soon. .

Lincoln does have sailing I think. He has resource network with us which means he can trade up the river, which if I am right, means he has sailing.

if I am right with this, I do not see a reason to research sailing ourselves, as we can trade for it.

I think Alphabet is good for now, I would like to milk spain for all she is worth in tech. She has monotheism (organized religon).

After that I like mathmatics and those C techs right behind it (currency, calender, construction)

I agree with Blastoid on proposed tech route.

Alphabet would take a full 30 turns, that is about two complete turn-sessions, or one if we manage to give good complete orders for the session. I think doing 30 turns in one bout would make sense, so we can have a longer round discussing which trades to make etc. after Alphabet is researched.

To be honest, all that needs to be done, is to scout the last patches of unmapped land, and to train our horsearchers on barbarian units and animals around. If we research alphabet, that means production lines in the three cities we got for 30 turns each, as well as worker orders. Quite possibly we need a last settler for a fourth city made in Arete, and fill in the gap around cow and silks, interlinking Arete, New Giruvegan and Warlord City.

Production would then look like this:

Arete: Horseman Archer (2), Horseman Archer (6), Archer (2), Settler (6) Library or Workers
New Giruvegan: Worker, Monument, Worker, Granary
Warlord city: Monument, Barracks, Archer, Stables Horseman Archer
New City: Monument

I don't like the idea of waiting 30 turns to attack, hatty, by all means reasearch alphabet, but do not put off the war because of it

Maybe we should take an immediate tech goal that gives us closure, that fits in with the intended war with Hatty?

Kind of shame, Monotheism and so on would be hard to trade if we start the war too soon.

Theres nothing to say that we have to destroy her with the inital war effort... Sue for peace after a bit taking all her tech and then wait to 10 turns to kill her.

I would advise against switching to Slavery prior to the first planned pop rush as well because that Slave Revolt random event only checks your current civic, not weather you've been pop rushing.

Whatever tech we get from her would be the last since vassal states tech is too far away, so I think we're better off planning a war around destroying her. Besides which I lfind it easier to convince an AI to capitulate (once that tech is adviable) than to just hand over a tech.

Alphabet - Currency

Someday I'm going to have to look into this love for currency thing. I think an experiment may be in order, unless there is already a strategy article.

Spoiler :

The "love for currency" thing is for Provolution's sake, to show he's not the only one who has fixations that I notice. :)

Deja vu...

Please post all available techs for the next 2-3 techs in the path, and the number of turns to complete each one based on current economy. This is essential data for any tech discussion for anyone who wants to discuss it without opening the game first!

Seems like I have to make the same comment about every 3 weeks or so. ;)

I would do you a favor and just post it myself, but it will be hours before I can get to it.

Alphabet- See what we can trade for.
Iron working is needed to start clearing jungle so I wouldn't put it on the backburner. I think Math is a good second choice followed by Curreny-IW if we can't trade for either.

EDIT- Sorry DS I can't open the save right now. Will post turns when I get home tomorrow.

I agree to Daveshacks suggestion to poll all available and PROPOSED tech routes (up to 30 turns) with the number of estimated research turns behind.

Attached is an ingame screenshot of what we can research, furthermore, i switched some tiles around all 3 cities just to see what was possible, and we can reduce alphabet to 23 turns without major sacrifice of production or growth.

Attachments

• 1680BC-Research.png
    1680BC-Research.png
    268.6 KB · Views: 130
23 turns sound good, what if we squeeze sailing in there too (ahead of Alphabet), in case we want to build a wonder (Great Lighthouse or Moai Statues), how do you think about that?

Edit, we need Masonry AND sailing etc. So forget that detour, we need Alphabet now, and I am sure Arete would need to produce two horseman archers, archer, settler and then something else (Monument for qualifying for Statue of Zeus, which require 3 monuments), or library, or workers, or other settlers. Shwedagon Paya is also a great option, if we can get our hands on Aesthetics.

It seems Aesthetics is the best trigger for these wonders anyhow, and I think the race for GL is already started.

23 turns sound good, what if we squeeze sailing in there too (ahead of Alphabet), in case we want to build a wonder (Great Lighthouse or Moai Statues), how do you think about that?

I think building the GL at this stage of the game is an immense waste of hammers at this point in the game for very little reward.

edit- Provo's changed his mind, so disregard this post.

I posted I withdrew the proposal after a closer look, which is why I was calling for Alphabet only, if you saw the edit before you posted.

I agree to Daveshacks suggestion to poll all available and PROPOSED tech routes (up to 30 turns) with the number of estimated research turns behind.

Actually, I was suggesting that we post the number of turns for the techs we can reach by any path, out to paths 2-3 techs deep. The paths don't need to be enumerated, just the number of turns to research each tech. For example, in order to propose Alphabet->Currency, someone needs to click on currency in the F6 screen and post how many turns it will take. Don't worry about adding together the techs in the path -- not the total for Alphabet+Currency, just the number for Alphabet by itself (23) and the number for Currency by itself (an unknown amount).

But I won't argue against polling the proposed paths. ;) Even if it's just an informational poll that the Triad is free to use or ignore.

Once again I'm stuck not being able to propose a path right now because the screenshot only shows the 1st tier, not the techs that can be reached past that point and their number of turns, and I'm away from my game computer for another 9 or so hours.

And I really want to see options which include the 2nd or 3rd tech still being researched at the end of the window, however long it is. If we restrict ourselves to choosing things that can be completed in 30 turns, we do the nation a huge disservice.

I was merely pointing out a gameplay angle to this, as 23 turns, alphabet takes, according to NZL, would be a good fit for a session, since we then can do the trades and main Spanish War during KWPs session.

It will actually finish faster than 23, as we will grow.

We should also discuss what we're willing to trade away. It can be beneficial to have Alphabet as a monopoly for a while to prevent the other civs from cooperating with each other and leaving us behind -- in which case we don't necessarily trade when we get Alphabet, but when our next tech comes.

Which BTW is a useful thing about CoL, it makes great trade material given its principal benefit comes from being first to it. :rolleyes:

I know, :deadhorse: , but it will be fun to see what might have been if we had gone ahead with a deep dive. :p

If we're headed toward war I still like construction.

However, looking at the last save I see there's lots of open land left to settle so I'm not sure early war makes so much sense. For a 9 civ map this doesn't seem too crowded. I might expand peacefully for a bit before we go to war. In that case, because I know some are dying for us to establish our own holy city, maybe the beeline towards COL makes sense . . .

What are our short and intermediate term strategies? Those should guide our tech decisions.

Top Bottom