Twillight of Byzantium

Hello, i would like to ask why so many nations are unplayable ? I would like to play with some unplayable nations, what wrong will happen if i try ?

Hello, i would like to ask why so many nations are unplayable ? I would like to play with some unplayable nations, what wrong will happen if i try ?
If you edit the scenario to play with one of those? It won't cause anything. But, depending on who it is, you might cause a terrible imbalance and that'd be no fun at all. There's always a reason why some civs are playable and some aren't.

I would like to thank for answering my last question, and ask another one : what difficulty and ai aggresion settings are suggested for this scenario ?

I think Serbs and Bulgaria should be able to ally with Byzantium. Sometimes they were at peace and sometimes they fought. If you could go back in time though, you would try to make peace between them if you were Byzantium.

The problem is that if you take Serbs and Bulgarians out of the Beylik alliance and make them not on anyone's team, then they don't fight the Ottomans. And if you put them on the Byzantine team, then the Byzantine team has a huge advantage, already controlling 20% of the map/population. And if you put them back with the Beyliks, then they have to fight Byzantium, which is anti-historical, with 2 Orthodox groups locked in mortal combat, when in fact they were mostly allies.

Back in Civ iii you could set individuals' diplomatic situations, instead of having to do it this way.

Maybe you don't have C3C?

Well, either you do or you don't. Quantum mechanics doesn't apply to the possession of video games.

I think maybe the plague doesn't go away in his game. Tough luck, I'd say. Eventually the RNG will fizzle 'em out.

This was a really fun scenario. I played as the Byzantines on Monarch and managed to stave of the Turks until their army wore out by Bulgaria's last city. One thing I did change was the Papal states, which weren't locked at war with the Ottomans for some reason. Eventually I controlled part of Bosnia, all of Bulgaria, most of Serbia, mainland Greece, as well as all the Islands not belonging to Genoa or Hospitallers. I got a vp victory, but I was fairly close to invading Italy itself

Really amazing scenario, good job. I played it through a few times and decided to add many unit animation replacements from the AOE2 downloads area. There were a few bugs to be fixed as well with certain Civ avatars. Otherwise, an awesome scenario.

After playing through several civs in this scenario I've also come to the realization that this is perhaps the best scenario of all time, aside from the Alexander one and for no other reason than storyline. You know, it's kinda like a good spaghetti western. It isn't necessarily full of special effects, but damn what a plot we have here. The author also gets an A+ in dramatic timing too, like with the Byzantine's rapidly deteriorating situation. I mean, you just don't find this stuff anywhere else. It's magnetic.

I read some of the previous posts regarding unlocking certain civs and I can definitely see where the author is coming from on this. However, I did unlock Serbia and that was an awesome experience. Playing as Serbia was difficult but almost as interesting as playing the Byzantines. Yeah, the game went something like this:

So, playing as Serbia, making precious few trades and desperately trying to move pike men and some archers around to flank the Byzantines, bolster defenses in the South. Four southern cities were quickly overrun by the Byzantine army at Salonika in the east and the Greek rebels from the west. In particular, the loss of Ionnina was of immense concern, as that city's nearby Iron mine was our only source of Iron. Still, a few units escaped and joined with reinforcements from the North to seal off the hinterlands from further invasion. Training new troops was tedious and production difficult for many cities and communities were not very large, thus there was little infrastructure. One thing on Serbia's side though, was agriculture. Farms and fertile land were plentiful and so my city populations grew quickly. Several archers and pike men were trained and sent into battle against the Byzantines, but the rugged and hill-valley terrain made for a hellish battlefield. Eventually, a horse farm was opened near Belgrade helping to improve the Serbian armies chances of outmaneuvering the Byzantine's Northern Army.

Then... the Turks arrived. I sent my scouts to the borders of Bulgaria and then further to the east, near Adrianople. The fighting was insane with massive Turkish armies of infantry and cavalry running a muck, slaying, razing, destroying everyone and everything who would not be converted. It was a dark time for the Byzantines, having lost all their cities in the vicinity of Constantinople. A failing and shaken Bulgarian line desperately tries to hold off the Turks, cities are repeatedly captured and retaken as the battle rages on all fronts with the Turks finally sending some forces at my cities. Serbian lines hold in the east and the south, while my Sages confer their ideas with other scholars and study the sciences of Invention and Renaissance. Meanwhile, the Byzantines have dug in to the south and concentrated on wiping out the Latin scourge from their lands. The war at sea is going on too as many a Turkish transport is harassed and sunk by mercenary pirate forces.

Finally, day break. My cavalry have defeated the Turkish advances on our lands and the Turkish war machine is starved for forces by the pirates. The steadfast and resilient Bulgarian resistance forces keep up the pressure against the Turks, with only three cities remaining and an army of archers. My crossbowman recapture Ionnina and push the Venetians out of Durazzo, securing Iron for our new empire. In short order Serbian knights swarm down from the North and capture Greece, crushing the Latin and Byzantine forces in the west. A coalition force of Bulgarians, Bosnians and Serbians permanently remove the Turks presence in Europe with many cities there now up for grabs. The western Serbian forces now join those in the East, massing for the attack on Constantinople.

The fighting for the city is furious and with half of the entire coalition either destroyed or injured, and the Greek defenders refusing to quit, making us pay dearly for every single one of their units we kill. Years pass, and the slaughter continues as we attack and counter-attack, our Trebuchets breaking from the repeated bombardment of the cities walls. Finally, and for all time, Serbia captures Constantinople, bringing an inevitable end to a thousand years of Eastern Roman legacy. My forces swarm into the city and quell the resistance, some Greeks surrender at the site of their Orthodox brothers, while others fight us to the death. But the survivors are spared and eventually allowed to leave if they wish. Over time, many Greeks are impressed with Serbian faith and culture and decide to join Serbia's cause. Some Greek cities such as Salonica and Mistra, are allowed to rule themselves so long as they ultimately submit to Serbian authority. And we, for ever more, stand together, protecting Europe from her enemies and forge a lasting alliance, bringing peace and stability back to a region recovering from it's days in hell.

I thought at first but then I took the trouble to read through all of that above… Interesting. I simply must download this scenario into this comp and play it.

Very nice description Avenger. :)

I'm glad people still like this scenario.

Didn't you make the original cities in the first place? Otherwise, the onus is on YodaPower to release a new version ;).

Top Bottom