UFO: Aftermath

Esckey

Deity
Its some new game that's recently been released. Looks like it's based off of X-Com in the whole kill aliens and stragety wise areas, cept your men are armed with more down to earth weapons like M-16s and shotguns. Anyone heard anything good or bad...or anything at all about this game?

I will have copy of game soon. I hope it will be great.

The bad thing that turn-based combat mode is ripped from the game. The good thing that all basic UFO's concepts are still intact.

Does the game have a web page? I loved UFO: Enemy Unkown, i hated UFO: Terror From the Deep, but this sounds well nice.

Game is good. Certainly it is much simplier and easier than UFO1-2-3 even on Hard difficulcy (damn modern tendences for makeing games for lamers :(), but it is still UFO.

Hmmm. Game looks guite easy until middle of game on Hard level. Old UFO's players can be satisfied by view of entire team wiped out by just one shot of alien Rocket-Launcher. :)

I bought this game a week ago and I'm totally hooked. It's really like the original X-COM but with up to date graphics and a new story.

and I agree with hommer, it's easy ... until the aliens attack with rocket launchers :cry:

"UFO: Enemy Unknown" was an easy game...

I think I may only have felt that having played "X-Com: Terror from the Deep" first and choosing "Superhuman" which very often saw a base attack by aliens on you in the first month! Great for money if your were successful, but you'd have to use suicide bomber tactics (prime magma packs, place in pockets so if killed you go boom!) and prey no lobsters were sent.

I will try the demo of Aftermath before plunging in and buying it.

What about placing bases, researching, managing, finance of UFO? I liked that just as much as those missions. Is it in this game too? I only see screenshots of missions...

You cannot place bases, you have to conquer them... research is just like in UFO Production is a bit absurded you need no money (well you have none) but time is a critical factor.

As for the difficulty: The game is not balanced very well imho... It starts out very easy, even on hard but then it becomes harder and harder and at some point you may have to realize that the last 50 hours were wasted since you have no chance anymore. If the Biomass starts covering your first couple' bases and you cannot win a mission to get a biomass node you are screwed.

****ing awesome game so far!

I played this game during the early hours a few days back and the feel was intense coupled with my "Office of Strategic Influence" album. The scenario is convincing, that Mankind has been devastated by a biological weapon attack upon the planet by an alien race and that the survivors have to fight back against mutated Earth lifeforms and the aliens.
The artwork is beautiful and you'll feel very lonely taking such small squads through such realistic and devastated cityscapes stripped of humanity.
The artwork of the soldiers is agains very convincing and they look like the delta-force troopers in "Black-Hawk Down" and so look the part considering these are the best of human survivors (you can in fact delegate missions to other humans).
Another great thing is the combat model where you plan the soliders moves and can pause it to plan again at any stage, but that the action occurs at the same time in real-time as compared to the chess moves of the first two x-com games (I know apocalyse was different, but it had other issues such as being in the future and unconvincing as a scenario).

The monsters are varied and interesting, the weaponary available is a gun-nuts wet dream and in a word cool! :yeah:
I LOVE my RPG laucher for taking out the dreaded chompers (mutated dogs) :D

The first solider I lost was due to a chomper attack when I accidentally left my soldiers weapons on aimed shot versus burst shots. I also had dispersed my men too far apart, already in my head I saw this all within the context of learning lessons during the missions, that when chompers are spotted you should stick close and use burst fire at all but extreme range :)

I haven't played enough to see if the crits made by AIL are well founded, but I love a tough game and wouldn't mind (due to the fun I've had) losing because I hadn't performed well enough in the early stages.

First chance I get I'll be loading this game up again and head off to do the base mission in Rome :)

P.S buy this game, you won't regret it if you loved the original two game of the X-com series ;)

P.P.S There are quite a few patches to download...ah, but not as many as the civ series demands people get :p

If nothing else you get an excellent simulation of the Earth!

Top Bottom