Ultimate Civ3 reveal map Bug?

McFlyen

Chieftain
Hi Guys,

Tried posting this in a ng, but didnt get any respond. Ive found a way of revealing the entire map at startup. Not only that, Im also able to see all rescource tiles, even those future ones, that I shouldnt be able to see, like oil and rubber. I can see all enemy moves, thus seeing how it cheats to compensate for ai.

But, Im not sure if I can do only here or if its a general bug, but here goes: Does the following work for you as well? If it does, Id allmost call it the bug of the century :)

Create a new game, and before doing anything else save the game as:
Challenge.sav

Now rename the savegame to: 1_multipart_xF8FF_2_challenge.SAV

Load the game, and there you go....As simple as that.

Im on the original game here, with the latest patch.

I've tried 3 times with different settings, but if you cant, heres one of my exact settings: Civ: American, Dif: Monarch, Map size: Normal everything else random.

Feedback is welcome, does this also work for you guys?

/Brian

This I ahve to try! One question comes to my mind, though: Where on Earth did you get that name for your saved game?

Hehe...well, actually it was sheer luck/accident that the savegame got this name. For some reason owa wanted to rename a savegame a friend of mine mailed me to the above. I thought nothing of it, but got the suprise when I loaded the game.

I am very interested now, but am totally confused as to why you would add a hex-dec element in your save file name and set it up in a way one might expect a C object to look like.

Originally posted by McFlyen

Feedback is welcome, does this also work for you guys?

/Brian

I am afraid this bug is real. I don't know if this is a bug or is intended as a cheat code in the first place. Maybe there are more "cheat codes" like this one... :)

Thanks for posting about it.

Ok yup it works for me. How absolutely extraordinary! How on earth did you discover a thing like this? I mean how did you REALLY discover this? :cooool:

There's no need for the intermediate step of naming the file Challenge.SAV. You can rename any saved game 1_multipart_xF8FF_2_challenge.SAV and it will put you in god mode. This works at 4000BC and 2050AD and anywhere in-between.

You can see everything on the map. You can right click on any city and zoom (free spying), and rename AI cities (the other right click menu items are disabled). You can right click on any stack of units to view their stats and health. Everything is visible - resources, units, and cities.

Ouch! I'm blind now :cool: ! I loaded this on a saved game and couldn't believe everything I saw. I was playing Huge map/16 civs, was on an island with 8 civs (now there are 3 :) ), and so for the last few days I've been only able to see a quarter of the map (it's 1440 A.D., now).

so I went to see the other civs I haven't contacted yet AND I WAS ABLE TO CHANGE THEIR PRODUCTION!! They were building a harbor, but I changed it to a spearman :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Dude, this is awesome. Know I know if I can getting screwed on resoruces ;) Seriously though you said something about naming the game challenger? Do you only have to do that once, because I did it with my first game, then tried another game I had played a few turns in without naming it that and it still worked fine. Anyway thanks for finding thing :D

Well *I* think the ultimate cheat would be that all your units would be invincible, unlimited amount of free units, all the resources, etc.

Originally posted by Faray357
Seriously though you said something about naming the game challenger? Do you only have to do that once, because I did it with my first game, then tried another game I had played a few turns in without naming it that and it still worked fine. Anyway thanks for finding thing :D

The cheat works for any saved game, even for a 2000 AD game.

Now will anyone be mad if Firaxis remove this cheat (or fix this bug) in the next patch? ;)

Originally posted by McFlyen
Hehe...well, actually it was sheer luck/accident that the savegame got this name. For some reason owa wanted to rename a savegame a friend of mine mailed me to the above. I thought nothing of it, but got the suprise when I loaded the game.

Actually, a little testing showed that having "multi" (in lowercase) anywhere in the name turned on God mode.

Civ III meets Populous :goodjob:

Cheers,
Shawn

If the trick is in fact a bug, and can damage the comp or the way the game runs, I would hope they fix it. But, if this has no side effects, a cheatcode basically, then leave it. I cant wait to try it tomorrow.....:king:

Wow, i will have to try it. :jump:

Just opened a brand spanking new Deity level game:

Rome - starts with 2 archers, 2 spearmen, 2 workers and 2 settlers.

France - 5 warriors, 2 workers and 2 settlers

Similar results for all the other civs, however the Expansionist civs had no bonus Scouts.

I contacted the Chinese in 3900 BC and they had no bonus techs other than the two standard ones.

Just tried it as promised. Works for me too. But I will never use it since it will completely ruin the fun of the game.

What an extraordinary coinicident that you found this cheat, McFlyen. I mean, what are the chances of something like this happening? :lol:

To answer TF´s question, I for one will not get mad if Firaxis eliminates this possibility in the next patch. In fact, I think they have no other option.

Why, WHY did you rename you .sav like this? :confused: :confused: :confused:

To me this proves that evolution works way faster than my scientist believe it does...:D

I can´t wait to try it and learn all about AI in the fastest way. However using it in a serious game is not acceptable nor is it fun.

I would prefer them to take it out.

However, if they don't, I think that when using this and winning the game, or retiring, your ruler should by definition come out as "xxxx the Cheat".

Hi Guys,

Well, this generated some interest, huh? Funny enough when I posted this in alt.games.civ3 noone seemed to notice. Heck I even sent the "bug" to Firafix, without it generating an answer...yet, I guess :)

The discovery....

Actually like I've said before..this was sheer luck and we owe the discovery of the "bug" to Mr. Gates. It was Outlook Web Access (OWA in my previous post) that, for some reason wanted to rename the game my friend sent to me...Dunno why...Lucky I was too lazy to edit the name, huh? :)

/McFlyen

Top Bottom