Ultra fast strategy for moving up as a newbie

Ision

Master
Hold your breath newbies, but there IS 1 sure fire way to move from Chieftain to Regent or Monarch in record time!!

Unfortunately, you WILL NOT like my advice.

The advice is simple:

Play games to the bitter end, and LOSE them

I have learned 10 times more from my defeats than my victories. As a newbie I would always linger at each difficulty level until I was sure I could advance. No one likes to lose, no one plays to lose – and don’t you either. But, believe me when I tell you that if you ever play a long drawn out game in which you fight life and death to your very last unit, to your very last city – you will have gained more than 10 wins and reading 5 expert strategy articles.

Here’s another thing that you will also find interesting, the only memorable games you will ever play will be nail biting victories and bitter defeats. The games I have won or lost by a single turn – to a Space race Victory, or a bitter war in which I am vastly outnumbered, or snatching (or barely missing) a Modern Age cultural/diplo win as one of the smallest Civs in the game –those are the only ones that make the game worthwhile. The rest of the games are ‘fun’, but no big deal – at times they may even be tedious.

Of course I haven’t said a thing in this post that any of you don’t already know – lol-
As a newbie I already knew it as well – but failed to heed my own advice for far too long. Don’t be like Ision and take an eternity to win your first Emperor or Diety game – heed your own advice –

Go down in flames today – and you won’t tomorrow!

Sincerely, Ision

i dont play regent or monarch a play cheiften! (more easey :D :D)

true USELESS,

but you clicked on this post anyway - I suspect you were looking for a way not to play 'Chieftain'-----lol

looks like you didn't get the tip you were looking for!

Ision

It depends on your preferred style of playing. I find that I am most entertained when I have a good shot at winning. If I'm toast from the get-go, then I don't enjoy the game at all, and I have the most fun rolling across the border on my final opposing civ at what is probably long after others here would say "screw it, I've won". With that in mind, I'm not going to continue a game where I know I'm toast - playing at a higher level just doesn't matter to me, particularly as I've heard around these parts that you have to micromanage city output in order to compete at the Diety levels.

On the other hand, good advice for those that do want to move up the Civ3 skill level quickly, Ision. :goodjob:

Igloo,

There is nothing wrong with moving up to Regent and staying there. I only play diety once in a blue moon for ego reasons. I myself almost exclusively play at monarch and emperor level. I do not like the dynamics of diety, so I purposefully moved back down. I have modded my game (and abide by some self imposed rules) in order to make the AI more competitive but leave the dynamics un-altered.

I do have to say, IMHO, that there is just SO much of the entertainement value that a player will miss if he does not at least move up to Regent.

Nevertheless, your point is well taken.

Ision

i still would rather play cheiften though :p :p

lol - alright USELESS,

you win

Ision welcomes all CIVers of any level............

enjoy your game.............

:lol: youre welcome.. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Good advice, Ision. Of course it's for each individual to heed it or not. I think one of the reasons some players stay at lower levels is that Civ is a *difficult* game to master. You have to learn to think, you have to learn that "the game giveth and the game taketh away", and you have to accept that moving up to higher levels takes patience.
I understand that we all find a level that's comfortable for us (I only play Deity when I need to feel humble, LOL), but I do feel a little sorry for players who settle for a level below Regent. I think they're missing out on most of the real fun of the game. Unfortunately it's hard to explain that fun to someone who's never experienced it.

I prefer to play game starts and If I see the game as one that will be challenging but not too challenging(like this months GoTM, LOL) I will continue to play. Getting ahead or falling way behind is determined by the end of the ancient age. That time is really what teaches you how to get the best land possible.

I'm a newbie and started on Regent:D

I'm still there though as I have had a diplomatic win but haven't had any other wins yet. Currently heading for a cultural ormilitary win. I suck at war though cos I'm so far ahead tech wise I don't really bother using combined arms. Just alot of modern armor and armies. I've given up building bombers and artillery as they can't keep up advance wise with my tanks.

And don't be afraid to take a step back. My first move to Monarch was less than stellar. But I hated Regent - Too easy. But going back to Regent (and what I knew) I was able to refine my tactics so that it was even easier, and I went back to Monarch. Much easier this time.

So I guess I would say don't be afraid to get a taste of the higher level, and hone your technique from a lower one.

Another advisable (and fun) thing: if you find yourself as the undisputed top civ with little chance of losing your lead - just declare war on everyone at once. All 10 - 15 other civs. Never make peace. Then survive! Its only when you're pressed, and your mistakes (that used to just cause you to slap your forehead) are punished by razed cities and loss of a stack of crack troops, that you truly appreciate the strategic complexities of the game.

Ever since C3C came out, I haven't won my first C3C game yet.:( Just exactly how many C3C game I have played so far? I lost count, must have been at least over a dozen games so far, but still no victory yet.

I think I'm getting better everyday because now I could easily expand peacefully as fast as the AI and the size of my empire is usually as big as any AI by around 500 BC on Sid level.:)

I played on Chieftain, but one day I decided to move up a level, won and moved up again, won and moved up, so I'm on monarch now and about to win...

I'm only playing on tiny pangea though (I will buy a new computer soon so that i can play larger games)

It's a really good advise try your limits and are not afraid to lose!

I'm still on Chieftain, but I still have trouble with it (especially on one game with 16 other Civ's on a HUGE map with NO oil) I do agree though, you learn MUCH more by losing. My way is to play Sid game, you lose a LOT faster (although they are slightly impossible). I have started a Regent game, and I'm not doing all that bad, although that bloody third less resources the PTW thing is biting me in the arse, as usual.

Ision, I have to admit that your advice has really helped me out. I'm now winning on Regent (still can't believe it...) and I want to keep moving up :p

regents still to hard...

Top Bottom