Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Permanent War or Peace

• New Random Seed on Reload

• No Cheating or Mods

Votes: 7 77.8%

• Total voters
Most of the options make the game more one-dimensional, and should only be used after you get bored playing many normal games.

The only one I would consider is No Cheating. It makes it harder for lazy people to cheat, while also making it harder to use graphics mods.

I voted for no cheating - but if that makes the custom map too difficult to make, then I have no problem with having that option turned off.

I'm sure our team will be honorable.

As I don't have any cIV experience, I can't really speak to much here. But for some reason, I'm still going to post ;)

No City Razing
No City Flipping From Culture
City Flipping After Conquest

I think that the Human Teams should have as much freedom of action as possible. We should be able to raze cities, as it's not our fault they were populated by savages! Culture Flipping (based on my civ3 experience) adds a nice degree of Risk to the game, and I imagine Flipping After Conquest would have the same result. I vote to Allow Razing and Flipping

No Barbarians
Raging Barbarians
Aggressive AI
Random Personalities

No barbarians?! Don't be ridiculous. Raging?... that's at least more realistic. But I'd be fine with the regular flavor. I dont' want us to win simply because some other team lost three settlers to barbs. Aggressive AI is irrelevant, as is random personalities. I see no reason to vote for any of these.

No Technology Trading
Permanent Alliances
Always War
Always Peace
One-City Challenge
Permanent War or Peace

Again, Freedom!. Yeah, we're not going to vote for any of those.

New Random Seed on Reload
No Cheating or Mods

These are impossible for me to evaluate, but I think it's safe to say that Epsilon Team! will not tolerate cheating, and reloading (as I read it) is cheating.... So if Sirian needs to set the Cheating tag ON, that's okay with me.

Sometimes it's really satisfying to post on something that one knows nothing at all about :)

So take all this with a grain of salt. I'm not going to enter votes in the actual poll.

I Abstain

Be careful with this one!

Culture works differently in Civ4 than in Civ3! You're no longer guaranteed the culture in the tiles immediately surrounding your city. A culturally superior neighbor can quite realistically control every-single tile around the culturally inferior neighbors city… leaving them only able to work the city tile itself! :wow:

This can make conquest in the core of another empire VERY problematic, since the enemy's core will, of course, be dominated with their culture. With "flipping after conquest" on, you not only face the problem of not controlling any tiles around the city, but it would be essentially impossible to hold that city against the cultural pressure of the old empire.

I think this option just makes conquest too difficult.

But maybe a more experienced player has a different take on this?

this is automatically off. You check the box to turn it on.

I voted for No City Razing, Raging Barbarians, Permanent Alliances and No Cheats.

Permanent Alliances means that 2 civs become one, and it can only happen after fascism is learnt.

I voted for permanent alliances based on azzaman's explanation. It seems like it could add an interesting aspect to the game.

As for no cheats, I'm positive any cheating would be frowned upon by all teams, players, and admins. It's not necessary to make it official.

I vote for Permanent Alliances, and not No Cheating or Mods because Sirian said that it would make life harder for him when making the map.

I do say that we should vote for Random AI personalities and and Agressive AI just to be different and make the other teams think deeply about us. ;)

azzaman333 said:
Permanent Alliances means that 2 civs become one, and it can only happen after fascism is learnt.
uhmm - Are you sure about this?
It's my understanding that these are 2 (confusing) different things here.

There's a "permanent alliance" treaty that you can sign with the discovery of Fascism that links 2 empires...

And there is the actual game option "permanent alliances" sets certain players as partners from the beginning of the game... makes it a team game instead of every man for himself.

Or am I the one that's totally confused here? :confused:

If GW is right, I rescind my vote for permanent alliances.

I am in favor of allowing permanent treaties, not locked teams.

I am thinking to vote (but have not yet) No Cheating ... unless it effects creation of the map.
Raging Barbs ... cos they can found and take cities :)

Aggressive AI I think only effects the other AI civilizations??
Question ... am I correct that there will be no AI civs in the game, only us 5 teams?

Another Question ... what is Random Personalities ???

Random Personalities is where if you are playing against the AI and Alexander will, instead of being some crazed warmonger, becomes a peaceful builder, or something else that you don't know till you meet in the game. Whether this is on or off won't make much difference, since there are no ai's in the game.

gbno1fan: As for permanent alliances what is in the vote is what you wanted, to have teams from the start you have to go to the custom screen and change from there, and it doesn't seem like we're doing that here, or at least the option that we are talking about in this post is not about that, this poll option only allows permanent alliances with the discovery of cirtain techs.

So to sum up, they are the same thing, just this option allows it later, and is not pre-set, but there is an option (not being voted on here) that would make teams one (sort of) from the start.

Thanks ... No Cheating and Raging Barbs it is :D

@ DaveMcW ... for these types of polls, can I suggest that they are made public in future ... makes it easier to see who voted for what, when the inevitable changes happen ;) ... Also there should be a closing time for it as well !!!

EDIT ... Just thinking how this poll will work, does the UN Rep then go back to the administrators and say that some members have indicated that these options should be individually polled?
Else how can the UN Rep interpret this?? ... how many votes does it take for something to be changed?

Ok I have voted:
My only vote was for cheating to be off. (of course if it effects sirian then no)

Other than that I vote agaisn't turning any other option on.

Reason's being I have played >100 games of [civ4] with many various combinations of all the above settings and the one which is the most fun is the vanilla as used in the GOTM.

Other notes on this:
if we see other teams vote for
No city razing: they are going to be peaceful and weak :evil:
No city flipping from culture: they don't want to balance thier empire and lose a border city due to neglect or have to worry about a Great Artist culture bomb[1]
City Flipping After Conquest: They will be nearly impossbile to overrun as General_W mentioned.

[1] culture bomb refers to using a great artist in a city to instantaneously generate (in our game) 4000 culture points which is equal 3 border expansions in a newly conquered or founded city. This exerts extrem cultural and can force other cities to flip, as well as defend your city from flipping in the middle of another empires core.
Finally if you have jsut conquered a city and they are in disorder for 9 turns, upon using a culture bomb, that city comes out of disorder that turn (very useful)

I ask again ... how is this poll to be interpreted?

Currently ...

No City Razing - 1
Raging Barbarians - 2
Permanent Alliances - 3 (-1 recinded)
No Cheating or Mods - 7 (on the priviso that it does not effect the map creation)

:crazyeye:
Are they all valid?
Do the ones that have received votes get a separate poll?
or is it No Cheating that is the only valid option.

By the Looks of it we just do not want to cheat. I will give this poll two more days and then I will vote.

@Dave, I was only ever going to include those that were above 50% as that was obvious.

Top Bottom