Unable to exit to desktop when closing the game

Danzo_87

Warlord
When I click exit to desktop in the game menu it will just freeze at the menu screen, and I have to go to task manager to close it, anyone facing this same issue?

Me. I am facing the same issue. It would actually close after a while.

Same here, and now it won't load back up. Freezes loading saves. I've contacted 2k support and followed their troubleshooting advice (verify game cache through steam, reinstall directX, reinstall Vcredist) to no avail. I read on reddit that someone tried uninstalling and the game won't reinstall. This sucks.

Yeah, I found that turning off Windows live defender resolved it

Same. Was able to close it the first time. Second time it locked up and wouldn't bring up the task manager. Third time I was able to close it with the task manager. Little annoying but w/e

Me. I am facing the same issue. It would actually close after a while.

how long did you waited? I actually had to open another virtual desktop, throw civ 6 into it, then only I could access the task manager, or else it wont even let me switch to my desktop view, pretty annoying to say the least

Reddit thread mentioned Windows Defender - for me it updated at 4pm today with another update a few minutes ago.

Since disabling it I was able to play without crashing at the menu or loading screens.

how long did you waited? I actually had to open another virtual desktop, throw civ 6 into it, then only I could access the task manager, or else it wont even let me switch to my desktop view, pretty annoying to say the least

about 10 minutes. I was going to shower and getting dressed as I waited.

Had this happen when after playing a long session, but I did notice some wonkiness during play (e.g. Suddenly hitting the space bar to skip turn didn't work), but I wanted to finish the game so just kept playing. Saving and reloading the game seemed to fix earlier problems. You may want to get into the habit of saving/reloading occasionally to prevent things from getting worse.

Moderator Action: Moved to Tech Support, where there are several threads discussing this issue.

This happened to me once early on, when I was going to switch off my computer eventually anyway.

The following day when I turned my computer on, I decided to update my NVidia graphics drivers before I launched the game. It might be just a coincidence, but the problem hasn't occurred to me since.

Same. It's annoying but less of an issue that those having problems starting the game or loading saves.

I'll try the exit to menu then exit game thing.

Wonder if this is related to the Windows Defender bug. I've added the Civ VI folder to the exclusions (because I was having a problem loading), maybe it will fix this too.

Top Bottom