unable to play or uninstall

civbroke1

Chieftain
hello, i am a new member.
here is my sad story: (any help would be appreciated)
i just bought civ 4 game of year edition and civ 4 BTS
i installed both.

civ 4 came with the 161 and 174 patch already.

after installing both, i put in the BTS disc and tried to play it.
it would not play. a little whited-out box came up in the middle of the screen and some distorted music, but the game would not load.
i tried re-starting the game, but with the same problem. BTS would not start.

so, i put in the civ 4 disc and i tried to start that one, but this time, i got a windows error message that said, you know, windows has encountered a problem and the program must be shut down (or something to that effect, it's a common error message when windows kicks out a program, and you have to re-start).

anyways, i tried this several times and i kept getting the same error, and civ 4 would not start either.
since i could not start either game, what else could i do, so i tried to uninstall the games, hoping maybe i could reinstall and they would work.
well, BTS uninstalled ok, but then i tried to uninstall civ 4 and i was unable to.
here is the error message that i got when i tried to uninstall civ4:

Error Code: -5004 : 0x80041f42
Error Information:
*C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\Professional\RunTime\12\00\Intel32\iKernel.dll
>inc\CoCreate.cpp (44)
>SetupDLL\SetupDLL.cpp (1390)
PAPP:Sid Meier's Civilization 4
PVENDOR:Firaxis Games (##IDS_PRODUCT_URL##)
PGUID:CFBCE791-2D53-4FCE-B3FB-D6E01F4112E8
$11.0.0.28844
@Windows XP Service Pack 2 (2600) IE 7.0.6000.16608

now, i have seen someone ask this same question with this error message, but frankly, i was unable to find an answer for it.

now i am stuck with 2 games that i cannot play, and i cannot uninstall one of them.
out of frustration, i deleted as many files as i could of civ4, but of course it still shows up in the add/remove list, and i keep getting the same error message as above when i try to uninstall it.

i try putting the game back in to see if maybe i can reinstall it, but it detects that version 174 is in there, and it will not install anything either.
i also tried ti start it from the setup files when i open the disc content, but it's the same as just putting in the disc.

i really would appreciate any patient and detailed help. my computer level is ok. i have built 3 computers, but i am not good at trouble shooting stuff like this.
i have numerous games (oblivion, splinter cell, COD, half-life 2, hitman, bioshock, and many others) that i have installed and played with no problems. this is the first time i have recieved any problem like this.

my system specs:

Core 2 Duo E6600 2.4g
4 gig memory, Kingston 1066 PC2-8500
250g sata2 HD
BFG 8800 GTS 512 (G92)
2 plextor dvd burners
Asus P5B deluxe mobo

i am really stuck. any help would be greatly appreciated. thank you in advance.

well, i think i got a solution that worked for me, and i hope it helps anyone else having a similar problem.
i actually got the answer from a tech from the civ4 web site.
they have a 24-7 support number.
the guy who helped me was in england
he was very very helpful.
this is what he told me to do:
go to program files, then open up the installshield installation information; the folder will be hidden, so you have to make it viewable in folder options.
then you have to delete a file in there.
unfortunately i do not remember what file it was.
whatever it was, it had the info for civ4, so that was why it would not reinstall, cause it thought/read that i already had it installed.
so, anyways, when i deleted that file, that must have taken care of the problem.
i was then able to put civ4 in again and reinstall the game, this time with no issues.
then i re-installed BTS
it all worked good!
hope this helps anyone else.

Top Bottom