Unable to start multiplayer.

Chunky

Chieftain
Whenever I try to start multiplayer, I click login and it stays at the same screen after lagging like a half second. Is anything wrong?

I have CivIV on my firewall exceptions list and I've tried it with my firewall off.

What's going on?

Got the exact same problem,

disabled my Windows Firewall and plugged computer directly into modem, so no router there.

Still doesn't work. Game lags 1 second and then its same screen (login).

Any ideas would be very much appreciated, as I can't wait to play this wonderful game multiplayer.

cheers
Tim

Can someone PLEASE help? I've emailed 2K and they send me some stupid autmoated message tellng me to email gamespy, and I can't email Gamespy for some reason. Someone help, please, I really want to play multiplayer.

I'm having exactly the same problem. I came to this forum in the hope that I might find a solution, given that there doesn't appear to be anything on the official support pages.

I'm playing with the v1.61 patch installed, but I don't know if this is a bug or simply a something that I have failed to setup adequately. The game works absolutely fine in the normal sense, but multiplayer (via internet) simply prompts me for my Gamespy username & password - pauses for a brief moment - but never progresses beyond this prompt. Very annoying.

At first I wondered if my using a modified executable was the issue (I dislike having to insert a disc for each installed game), so I tried a fresh installation with disc in drive and internet multiplayer was still not working - although slightly slower while it checked my disc.

Like the other poster in this thread, I have tried disabling my firewall and it has made no difference - although I AM behind a router. I tried port-forwarding 20XX to my computer. No change.

Any help would be greatly appreciated ... :sad:

I'm having the same problem - my firewall's down and I have a GameSpy account and such; and I have no luck trying to start an Internet game. If anyone can help, I'd be very grateful.

No reponse to this thread yet?!

Gamespy and 2K games have absolutely useless technical support, and it seems this issue has nothing to do with a firewall. I guess they don't really care if they don't get my money...

jon bon said:
No reponse to this thread yet?!

Gamespy and 2K games have absolutely useless technical support, and it seems this issue has nothing to do with a firewall. I guess they don't really care if they don't get my money...

bumped again

I have the exact same problem and have no clue how to fix

Me too, this is out of control... gamespy is so confusing, and the technical support sucks. If u search for civilization in gamespy nothing comes up.. weird... maybe something with gamespy , or bug in new patch but this needs to get resolved... tried of playing the hopeless ai :rolleyes:

Well, I've tried e-mailing the official support group & I've had no response from them, either (over a week) ... not very funny, really. Some kind of response would at least be polite, given that we've paid for it. :undecide:

Now, I didn't try on-line multiplayer before v1.61 - did it work with Gamespy in earlier versions ..?

Hi,

After 2 hours of Civ4 debugging I got multiplayer working with version 1.61! I started from exactly same problem, login did not do anything but halted for a second.

I would say the problem solving falls in two categories in this order:
1) Connectivity (firewall) issue resolving
2) GameSpy account resolving

Firewalls and port configurations are discussed widely around the forum. I disabled Windows firewall, configured Norton carefully to allow all UDP 2056 traffic and other TCP traffic (just in case) specified by gamespy. I also checked my ADSL router is not blocking any traffic. All set!

Next I set on debug logging in Civilization 4 ini file to:

; Enable synchronization logging
SynchLog = 1
; Enable the logging system
LoggingEnabled = 1

This allowed me to see in logs following entry:
ERR: The uniquenick provided is incorrect.

I googled it to do with GameSpy. Now I new connection works just fine! My girlfriend (civ fanatic!) had created an account earlier today in www.gamespyid.com which I tried. Did not work. I also tried one older account. No luck. After some searching I found a post (thanks!) about a solution: no account created OUTSIDE the Civ4 game will work. I guess Civ4 account creation provides some data normal www.gamespyid.com registration does not. Ok, I went and created another account now INSIDE Civ4 which worked with no problems and I found myself in multiplayer lobby! Tested once that login also now worked. Debug off and to play!

I hope I have been able to give you some ideas.

Same problem here. I've also tried it on two different computers. I've tried putting each of the computers in the DMZ of my router and disabling the Windows firewall (even though Civ is in the exceptions list). No luck with any of this.

hi stanmons and all

i am having the same problem during login :( i have contacted firaxis and gamespy but still no response yet. Hey Stanmons are your saying that we all have to do what you did for multiplayer to work? can you explain the steps in a more simple term to us?

also i was talking to a guy in another thread about this problem. he said his Civ IV works fine using gamespy, i asked him how come his one worked, he didnt know so then i noticed that he was in New york and i told him that i was in Australia, he told me that gamespy might not cover Australia :(

so is there anyone here who is from New York who is UNABLE to log in?

Top Bottom