Unacceptable crashes

Snackwell

Chieftain
I should be way over min specs for this game:

Phenom ll X4 2.8GHz
8GB DDR3
Win 7 Home
SAPPHIRE 100284L Radeon HD 5750 1GB

Right? But no. My first game I at least got up to the early Industrial before it started video crashing every couple of turns -- but at that point I had 10-15 real cities and another 10 puppets, plus a big world explored. I cranked down the video settings to minimum and was able to keep playing.

Current game -- 350 BC and it's crashing every turn. I have 3 cities; I've only explored half the continent and only met 2 AIs. It's a small, small map, and I only put the video settings back to medium levels.

This is ridiculous. Totally disappointing. I'd love to be debating IV vs V on the merits of the game -- so far, I am enjoying 1UPT and love ranged combat, don't love the opaque diplomacy -- but it's irrelevant because the f*$&#& thing crashes all the time.

Sadly I will probably keep trying with minimum graphics -- but I shouldn't have to, and it means that either the QA on this was seriously lacking, or they ignored the QA just to put a broken game out.

cannot recommend at this time as I'm also crashing every other turn or so in the late game. I have to take time to save every turn and reload every other turn. Unacceptable. My specs:

64 bit Windowns 7
intel core i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67 quad
8 GB RAM

game already runs suprisingly slow given the specs of my system but the crashes just make it unbearable.

display Drivers up to date

Same here. This game has been crashing on late games for me, One on Marathon at 979 turns and I just got a Epic speed game at 489 turns. Both crashing before auto save. Came here hoping there would be some workaround or answers. =/

Windows 7 HP 64bit
I7 940 2.93Ghz
6GB Corsair Dominator
Asus Rampage III Extreme Motherboard
Intel SSD 160GB
Nvidia GTX 480
H50 Corsair CPU Cooler/Corsair T850 PSU/Antec 1200 case

If I reload the save, it does the same thing.

Add one more to the list. I've had the game for two weeks, and have attempted a whopping two games. Both huge maps, 12 civs.

First game crashed around turn 289 - same scenario on two different machines, two different OS, both CPU using HW easily capable of running the game. So DAYS worth of gameplay wasted. Great.

Second game, huge map 12 civs again, this time got to turn 328, then hit city limit of 70. Anytime I try to build or conquer another city, game crashes. Seems to be a hard limit in the game. So DAYS worth of gameplay wasted - AGAIN. W-T-F.

This is preposterous. I can easily envision a game where I have 100+ if not close to 200 cities. The game economics are certainly capable of sustaining an empire of that size. How the heck can this be missed in testing???

This game was released way too early. Whoever was in charge of development and especially QA testing deserves to be canned. Ditto for any other management involved in allowing such a crappy quality product to be released.

I've started to notice numerous other bugs as well. In my last game I noticed that the economy is flaky as hell. During the several reloads it took me to figure out the 70 city cap, I had net incomes of: -44, +41, +36, and +27 --- WTF?!?! Tank movement seems to also not be very consistent. Unfortunately my games haven't been stable enough to try to figure out exactly what's going on with them.

And what is with the SLOOOOOW AI? It's taken as long as 5 MINUTES to calculate a turn for the AI, this on an I5 and an overclocked I7. C'mon people, this is pathetic.

Oh, and don't even get me started on the mandatory use of Steam.

l8r)

same here this is inexuseable, any other compony that would release an unfinished product would have to face the consequences, but game componies seem to think the rules dont apply to them empire total war, civ v, etc.

I've stopped playing and will await a patch or 2.

The windowed mode blows and even worse is that may attempts to get into full screen mode have all been for not.

How can a company release such a buggy product?

I've run into the same issue with XP SP3 and 3 GB ram and 4 processors.

Big map, long game and then crash time :confused:

Any projections on when 2.0 is due out ?

My first game I played the map as big as possible. I meet minimum but not really recommended so I finaly scaled down all the graphic settings. The waiting time between each turn, and the time to restart between every crash in the later game I spent reading through the manual. I was in the 2010's when the game completly gave in. No I've restarted a standard game with low grahpics. It actually seems to work but it seems dumb that one always need to get a new computer whenever they release a new Civ to fully enjoy the game...:mad:

Likewise...

I have a kick ass computer from Maingear:
System-SHIFTX58

Power Supply: 1KW Silverstone Olympia Evolution Modular Industrial Power Supply

Graphics and GPGPU Accelerator: 2x ATI® Radeon™ HD 5970 4GB Total GDDR5 in CrossFireX? DX11 [ENTHUSIAST]

Motherboard: EVGA X58 SLI Classified - CrossFireX Ready!

Processor: Intel® Core™ i7-975 Extreme Edition 3.33GHz

Processor Cooling: MAINGEAR / Asetek Maintenance-Free X120 Liquid Cooling

Memory: 12GB Kingston HyperX Triple-Channel DDR3-1600MHz Low Latency

MAINGEAR Redline Overclocking Service: YES! - Redline™ Overclock My System!

Hard Drive Bay One: 80GB Intel™ X25-M Gen2 Solid State Drive

Hard Drive Bay Two: 1.0TB Western Digital Caviar Black SATA 7200rpm 32MB Cache

Optical Drive One: 22X Dual Layer DVD RW Drive w/ LightScribe Technology

Audio: 8-channel High Definition Surround Sound Support Coax and Optical S/DIF Out

Network Adapter: Dual On-board Gigabit Ethernet

Network and On-Line Gaming Accelerator: EVGA Killer Xeno Pro Gaming Network Card PCI-E 128MB

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit

Yet the game becomes unplayable later in the game. Ive tried turning Xfire off and that didnt work. Thought maybe I had some bad ram or video card so tested everything and nothing wrong there.

As I stated in another post, I hate having to jump thru hoop's, wait till Venus is in Transit in the Sun, play every second Tuesday of the month, and have to re-paint my room to blood red... to play a game that is packaged and released to be playable. :mad::mad::mad::mad:

This is the first time that a Firaxis game has given me this much problem on release. Im guessing a few months to get it patched correctly.

As others here have already said, very frustrating to have these crashes. I'm running a middle of the road dual core system with a couple of gigs of RAM and a gig of video memory. The game runs fine for a few turns, and then all of a sudden the screen turns black. All that remains is the sound and the in-game cursor. I've tried everything, dumbing down the graphics, aa on, aa off, virus checker off/on, etc etc. I have seen some people talking about a possible overheating problem with video cards, but I have my doubts about that. In any event, my GPU monitor shows that my temperature rarely exceeds 42c, which is a long long way from problem territory.

Who beta tested this thing, Daffy Duck?

My 9800gx2 had big graphics problem running in Dx10-11. Reinstalled video drivers and game but still ran with problems. After a fresh vista (home 64bit) install on a new hd it runs great now. Ran all weekend with not one problem. Even after letting the PC go into sleep mode during the game, it came back up and play was smooth. Temps are much higher (from 64c to 73c) but now both gpu's are sharing equal load where before 95% to 5%.

I didn't have a crashing issue until today, and I've had the game since it launched. I'm above spec i5 760 @ 2.8, 4GB RAM, and GTX460 SLI. The only enviornmental change I made was to install the beta nVidia drivers.

I'm playing on a laptop that ius theoretically up to spec and latest dsrivers etc. The Demo wont even play and Steam reports 1 file in error. There is no chance I will buy the full game.

I have a very strong configuration.

Game crashes every 2 turns after turn 400.

Tried to contact a support, no answer. Tried to sign to the 2k forum, after 2 weeks did not got the authorization.

To be honest I am very pissed. Next time will not buy.

Same problems here...

2 games both on huge map arhipel and continents after turn 300+ the game freezes

everytime i restart the game after 2 turns freeze and not at the and of the turn just by get to the next unit. Tried all possible solutions changed the graphics from low to max and different resolutions update the drivers delete caches changed to window mode(at least i can end the game without restarting my pc) and so on but nothing helps.
Must be the game so i think the only solution is wait for the update. From all civ games this is the buggy one never had that much problems than civ 3 if i remember right but still not so often such civ 5

I've been with Civ since Civ2 and recall that Civ IV had same crash issues ... mostly video issues, even though I had most recent drivers and exceeded op. sys. requirements. Ditto this game. Now running Gateway notebook with 3 Gb RAM, Nvidia GeForce 8800 GTS, Core 2 Duo running at 1.66 ghz with most recent drivers. Can't get past 10 turns without video crash ... dreaded black screen, computer freezes and must manually restart. I agree, this is crap.

Top Bottom