Unexplored lands shows as "clouds"

"We Crawl on Our Knees Towards Our Doom" :lol:

What is that?

Must agree with many others, really like the new cloud look.

It was only black, because we didn't have the cpu/gpu power to spend on it being something else earlier on.

I agree with the OP. Unexplored land should be dark - it adds to the sense that you are a brand new civilization starting out and the known world stretches only as far as you can see.

This might seem like a small detail, but Civ crafts a sense of immersion the way few other games do, and this is a blow to that experience.

Clouds look awesome, I like the way the give the sense of the world unknown leading into the heavens. An old world perspective that the world was flat and indeed had an end.

You explore your continent and all your left with are views of the oceans and clouds in the distance. An Island sitting alone in the universe.

What irks me more is that clouds are little rounded on the edges, far less than civ IV black fog. I think you need to :smoke: a little to see hexagonal clouds in RL ;)

The clouds over the ocean looked really bad in the stream. They weren't smoothed at all and were hexes of clouds. I hope they fix this in time for release.

The clouds over the ocean looked really bad in the stream. They weren't smoothed at all and were hexes of clouds. I hope they fix this in time for release.

Yeah, I really like the clouds but in the recent videos they are much too sharp edged ^^

Ok, hexagonal cloud cells everywhere ;) That implies roughly the same temp everywhere on the lower atmosphere levels in all the planet and relatively small distorsion caused by Coriolis "forces". I can't say much about the rotation speed of Civ V planets , but I can assure that the surface temp is not equal everywhere :p

Those darn scary clouds.

Ok the game needs to be released soon, srsly. I'm replying to a cloud post.

I agree with the OP -- much prefer the black to clouds.

The whole "it's optimistic and uplifting, like the Art Deco graphics!" garbage...blech. This is the same kind of idiocy that has seemingly every company painting their walls and patterning their cube dividers that same shade of taupe. "It makes everyone work 5% harder!" No, no it doesn't.

As for "we can afford the processing power for them" -- if you ever wondered why the system requirements are so high for a turn-based game, decisions like adding the clouds is a big part of it. Some people are not going to be able to run Civ V even at the lowest settings. This kind of feature bloat is why you need a multi-core machine to boot up Windows and check your email these day.

(Why yes, I am feeling especially curmudgeon-ish today. Why do you ask? :lol:)

This is one of those "why care" things. This has absolutely zero impact on playing the game. I would find it hard to believe anyone would actually start a thread like this, except this is civ fanatics and there are regularly threads about the most abstract, trivial, or outlandish topics.

I think the clouds look cool, it's a nice departure from boring nothing and something else for my monster PC's graphics card to chew on.

It suposed to be negative. You are a new civilization. YOu need to explore. Now I see clouds and I'm thinking about heaven.

Civ is kind of a god game. You control everything and the view you have is from above. It sort of fits.

Top Bottom