Ungrateful Romans

Parmenion

Warlord
Okay, can anyone solve this one then?
(Playing as the Egyptians on Regent, Huge Continents) I recently had a Roman city flip to my side as they have a tiny civilisation and were envious of my culture. Within 4 turns I had rushed (and paid for) a temple, courthouse, cathedral and marketplace and the new citizens had access to at least 7 luxuries that they didn't previously have. I zoomed to the city in question and made sure no one was unhappy and that production was doing fine, then left it alone for a while building a library whilst I concentrated on the rest of my empire. Three more turns later and the city went into Civil Disorder and upon asking the revolting peasants what the problem was, they told me, "We cannot forget the cruel oppression you bore down upon us." !!!!!!!! What the hell do they want? I couldn't believe what I was hearing and when another Roman city decided to overthrow it's rulers I turned them down because I couldn't handle another lot of whinging ingraites who didn't appreciate what I had done for them. I thought I was welcoming these people with open arms into my culture and then they throw this into my face.
Needless to say the problem was resolved with the creation of a few entertainers and I never had a problem with them again (perhaps because there were more Egyptians in the city than Romans after that). I half hoped that there could have been a way to punish the Romans in the city by summary executions or imprisonment but I guess that would have made the problem much worse.
Why did this happen and has anyone else experienced this?

When a city flips or is conquered, they remember the ill treatment of their former owner and continue to be upset about it.

Personally, I don't like this feature, since I consider myself their liberator who freed them of the oppressive regime they had before, but that's not the way the game works, so I just deal with it, as you have in your game. It's really not that big a deal or that hard to deal with, after all.

But you can rest assured that somebody (and we all know who the usual suspect are) will chime in saying it's proof of how unfair the game is and it totally ruins their whole experience and boy Firaxis really ripped them off with this sucky game. Just ignore them, make your entertainers, and get on with the game (as you have already).

"Decided to overthrow it's rulers I turned them down because I couldn't handle another lot of whinging ingraites who didn't appreciate what I had done for them"

OMG! You turned down a free CITY because one you had went into disorder! Sorry but that is just really lame. Put in an entertainer, wait a miniscule 20 turns, and no more problem.

Yeh, I know it's lame but I felt like being petty. The Romans in that city had really wound me up and I wanted to take it out on someone. I just imagined that second city living in squalor with no improvements and a massive crime rate, and when their envoy approached me I had him bodily thrown out of my palace and whipped out of town. And all the little children of that city who were sooooo looking forward to having lots of nice luxuries (my Civ believed in Santa Claus) would have been heartbroken when their parents told them they would have to go back to work in the mines again because Queen Cleopatra didn't want them...HA!

You see, it's exciting when you role-play like that.

I have never "rebuffed the rebels" during a culture flip, so I have always wondered: what happens when you turn them down? Does the city just remain with its original civ? Or is it razed? I'd assume the former, but just wanted to confirm...

It stays and nothing happens. People have even reported the AI turning down player cities that flipped.

I started rethinking taking in refugee cities after the last couple of times it happened. The AI civ sent an army down there and started a war to take the city back. I like to engage in war on my terms so now I only accept the city if I am willing to go to war to keep it or if I am much stronger than the other civ. Then they will just lay down and take it.
Bruce

The Civ3 world is one where stealth bombers are unable to sink galleons, Man-O-Wars are a powerful counter to battleships, and knights always come equipped with the AT-S2 Anti-Tank Sword.

:D :lol: :D

Originally posted by brgatesjr
I started rethinking taking in refugee cities after the last couple of times it happened. The AI civ sent an army down there and started a war to take the city back. I like to engage in war on my terms so now I only accept the city if I am willing to go to war to keep it or if I am much stronger than the other civ. Then they will just lay down and take it.
Bruce
Hmm. I have seen this once, and it was AI vs AI. A greek city flipped to the babylonians. Greece declared war to the babs.
Now, as it's been stated by Firaxis :whipped:, the AI doesn't consider it an act of war if one of its city flips to an opponent. This will not even affect your diplomatic status. In that particular case however, the city which flipped to the babs had three incences. The greek probably declared war to claim the luxuries, as I have seen the AI going for war a lot because of an isolated town full of luxuries.

loki

The cities did not have any "great" resources that I can remember..I think they just wanted it back. They also did not declare war the next turn they took a few turns to bring down some horsemen and then attack me. I think it was because my army was not that strong. I try to get by on diplomacy and build up my cities before working on my armies. On diety level it is very hard to keep up with city improvments and thus culture vs. the AI's advantages.
B

It lets you know which city to attack first.

I don't think accepting a city flip directly angers the AI you get it from, but then again I have been sneak attacked (centuries later) by civs that I've culture bombed. However, often the city that I acquired (quite deliberately) had luxuries or resources. So there is a compelling reason for the AI to attack and take those resources, regardless of the origins of the city controlling them.

One thing to beware of: unless you want to pick a fight, do not disband a city you acquire through culture. I got a city flip from the Chinese in one game, and didn't like where it was, so I rushed a setter, moved 2 squares and rebuilt. My "polite" Chinese neighbor dropped immediately to "furious." Every city has a cultural memory. By disbanding that city, I wiped out the Chinese cultural memory there, and I think the game treats it somewhat like razing a city during war. Result? I took the opportunity to pounce on the Chinese, who were wreaking the French, and wipe them out.

-Arrian

Top Bottom