unhappy citizens don't eat when producing settler/worker

DaviddesJ

Deity
I discovered a new bug (new to me, anyway). If you are building a worker or settler, then unhappy people don't consume any food.

E.g., suppose your city is size 6, with 4 happy people and 2 unhappy people, and suppose the 4 happy people are working tiles (plus the city center) that generate 16 food and 6 hammers. Then, you have a food surplus of 16-12 = 4 (assuming no unhealth), so, if you're building a settler, you should get +10 hpt (4f 6h). But you actually get +14 hpt (8f 6h); the food required to feed the two unhappy people is not counted against you.

(This is in 1.61; I haven't tried it in Warlords.)

Unhealthiness is ignored too. Great you noticed, thanx!

alexman said:
This is actually by design.

??? How odd. Why would happy citizens consume 2 food each, but unhappy citizens consume 0, only when building a settler?

I don't think it's a problem. It's just counterintuitive.

One way of keeping your cities under the happiness/health level is to have them produce Settlers and Workers. But if you forget to check the happiness/health level of your city before it goes bad, you would be penalized by producing Settlers/Workers slower. That would have been a big penalty for a small oversight, and it would encourage micromanagement.

If you want a realism argument, just say that unhappy citizens work harder to get out and found their own city.

That's rich/ Well, thanx for clearing out. I wonder this was never said explicitly so we would stop worrying about MMing settler/worker production. And still, the unhappy people do not get out of the city in the end, those poor befooled drags :D

The realistic argument would make sense in civ3, not in civ4. A clear solution could be never angry citizens (or 1 or 2 less) when making settler/worker, or a big bonus if you whip your settler/worker (every angry citizen gives you double whip-bonus when making settler/worker).

Top Bottom