Uninstalling Civ IV: Not buying BtS.

What is so strange about feeling like you got ripped off by a greedy company and wanting to share my revelations w/ the Civ4 community?
Don't tell me to "bugger off" cuz I do enjoy "the game", just not this ridiculous piece of crap-ware they have the audacity to call Civ IV.
And yes, u can review my very short history of posts and plainly see that I don't have the highest vocabulary and most infallible set of arguments of all the civ-fanatics, but I've made a genuine effort to get my point across in a straight-forward way.

What is so strange about feeling like you got ripped off by a greedy company and wanting to share my revelations w/ the Civ4 community?
Don't tell me to "bugger off" cuz I do enjoy "the game", just not this ridiculous piece of crap-ware they have the audacity to call Civ IV.
And yes, u can review my very short history of posts and plainly see that I don't have the highest vocabulary and most infallible set of arguments of all the civ-fanatics, but I've made a genuine effort to get my point across in a straight-forward way.

Well your original post made no effort as to say why you were dissatisfied, let alone, why you do not like the game.

As for Take Two and Firaxis being "Greedy", come on, where are you getting that from? How did you get ripped off? What do you mean by the above : "I do enjoy 'game'"?

As for a genuine effort to get your point across, I haven't seen it yet. All you have said is that you are dissatisfied by
this ridiculous piece of crap-ware they have the audacity to call Civ IV.
, which is quite contrary to what pretty much everyone else here at CivFanatics, Strategamer (formerly EVG) Aployton.net and every other CIv Fansite thinks, not to mention the vast majority of the Computer Gaming Industry. Oh and by the way, Civilization IV did earn game of the year when it came out if I am not mistaken.

But I will refrain from further comment until you have honestly made an attempt to answer the questions we have asked you here in this thread as to why you feel this way. Meanwhile, Monty needs to be taught a lesson....

Well, I'm convinced. If it wasn't for quetzaln, god knows how many extra hours I would have wasted playing CIV. I used to think it was fun, but your well thought out arguments have totally convinced me. I'm gonna go back to playing pong.

I find it odd that someone who has developed a hatred for a game should bother to post his feelings in a forum which is part of a site for, by its very name, fanatics of that game. There are some strange people in the world.

:lol: at this.

Altough poster has a point there. If I could sum my gaming hours playing from civ I to civ IV (including SMAC) and use it to discover philosophy we could be looking at the new age of mankind right now. :mischief: Modest, I know.

Civ IV has serious problems (the biggest of which being the excessively 'fancy' graphics that look worse than Civ 3 graphics, the 2nd biggest being a massive anti-human bias even on Warlord and probably lower, and the 3rd biggest being the AI which can't fight wars at all) but there are some also some major positives. PTBS is the greatest multiplayer invention, there is less tedious micromanaging and an even wider range of different leaders from history to play as. Warlords was a bit of a rip off though, however Civ 4 original and BtS are definately worth their costs.

Meanwhile, Monty needs to be taught a lesson....

I love it!! haha

But seriously though, no game is perfect and yet this game won game of the year and has more replay value then any other game i've ever played. As icing on the cake, it's a history simulation and it has it's own civlopedia with real life facts buried inside, so instead of writing my very own philosophy, i'm taking a history course while I shove Ghandi off of my continent lol

Your post was lame. You made no argument.

But beyond that, taste is relative. Civ IV is, having played all the Civ games prior to Civ IV, by and far the most sophisticated of the Civ games. Each game, prior to Civ IV, had some gimmick that you could use to dominate the world: The Caravan rush to build wonders. The Stacks of Doom. The spearman Zerg. The forest chop. The boundaries rush.

And, of course, it always seemed that there were two or three highly effective civilizations that everyone tended to gravitate towards. Wheras in Civ IV, doesn't seem to be as bad in that way.

Quetzaln,

I guess I give you my reaction, and perhaps you will understand the responses here.

None of us mind that you don't like the game, it is a personal choice. So, if you had started the post saying, 'I played Civ IV, and, to be honest, I really don't enjoy it. I know you do, but I find it disappointing; I plan on uninstalling it.' Perhaps you would have had more sympathy, although people would naturally wonder why.

But when you use the language you have used, you say people are 'ripped off', and worse, people who feel that your language is judgemental to those of us who like Civ IV. So it is especailly inflammatory on a fan website.

So, when Tom Cruise says that psychatrists are evil and the source of all problems in the world, people who have used therapy and found it helpful objected.

What you did was the same as Tom Cruise going to 'Psychology Today' and ranting about how evil they are.

Breunor

I didn't mean to insult anybody for playing Civ 4. I just wanted to express my profound disappointment for something that could've been much greater.
I feel that this review from amazon.com summarizes most of my feelings about Civ 4. I didn't cite my reasons with this new thread cuz I would be repeating myself from previous posts. My main problem with Civ 4 is the AI which is given bonuses to make it harder to beat...
MY OWN thoughts are these: Whenever I get beat by the AI, I want it to be cuz the AI out-smarted/out-played me, not because it got bonus units and discounted upgrades. So if I were to go into Worldbuilder and give myself extra units, it would be called cheating, but when the AI has extra units, it's called a "higher difficulty level".

64 of 66 people found the following review helpful:
You Don't Need Civ4, August 21, 2006
By Kevin R. Haughn "Snootch" (San Diego, CA) - See all my reviews
Fun:
In late 2002, I took a second job at a major electronics retailer and decided to use my employee discount on what looked like a cool game: Civilization III. That game changed my life... in the gaming sense. It was everything I ever thought a computer game should be: turn-based strategy with multiple avenues to test my ego and self-promoted genius. Above all features of Civ3, however, my most favorite was the customization of the game through the map editor and the wonderful online resources of the Civ community. (I've downloaded more Civ3 files than MP3s.) This allowed me to express my self-proclaimed genius with new rules, technologies, and units (and all the accompanying chronologies and requisites) at my discretion. Nothing could get any better, I had thought.

When Civ4 was being talked about, however, I couldn't imagine on what grounds they could improve - except perhaps making the game even more customizable and thorough. Well, you've already read about the differing features of the game: less micro-management, more diplomatic and trade features, new technology trees, enhancing popular mechanics found in previous Civ titles, and of course, going 3D with it all.

When playing Civilization IV, you sense an overwhelming POTENTIAL to be a really great game. In my mind, that potential has not been fulfilled, and I hereby advise you to purchase Civ3 Complete instead and forego Civ4 if you haven't chosen so already. If you have already purchased Civ4, let's send a message to Firaxis Games that they need to do better - let's stop purchasing Civ products until they are actually without so many bugs, that aren't rushed to be released for the holidays, and that don't insult our intelligence by requiring expensive "expansion packs" which merely add content that should already have been included in the original release.

Here is a list of comparative reasons to only own Civ3 and not Civ4 and boycott future Civ titles until something changes for the better:

1. There is no map editor in Civ4. Instead, they included a "World Builder" which is so awkward and strange. It is not like Civ3's map editor where you can set starting positions, resources, civilizations, and terrain BEFORE you play the map. The "World Builder" of Civ4 only allows you to alter scenarios from the installation or randomly generated maps. You cannot create maps from scratch - you can only change what has already been created within predefined parameters.

2. Who needs 3D graphics for a turn-based strategy game? Civ4 is not fully 3D; it merely allows a tilting view from ground level to overhead. That can be cool, but consider the offset: it is unnecessary for this genre, it diverts computer resources from other cool and more thorough features, and it makes the game extremely difficult to modify. For Civ3, there are well over 1,000 things you can either download or make yourself and put right into the game. You don't have to know XTML or Python programming languages as you would in Civ4. Civ4 requires advanced education (like a graphics design or computer science degree) to simply alter things like governments, units, buildings, and game rules. Waiting for others to design them (like the amateur online community or the professional expansion packs) isn't so fun anymore.

3. Expanding content for more money? This was a problem with Civ3, as well - its first expansion pack was a total waste of money because everything was later put on the second expansion pack. People bought the first expansion pack because they loved Civ3 so much and didn't know it was a waste. (Many video game makers are taking advantage of gamers in this way, not just the Civilization makers.) My point here is to fight back. We already know what they are going to pull: Civ4 has an expansion pack out there titled Warlords. It basically includes elements intentionally left out so as to somehow formulate a "new" product. In the base version of Civ4, you have the Great People: artists, scientists, merchants, and prophets. Hmmm... now we get the warlords, eh? Oh, and a few other civilizations and buildings left out from before. Nice try... Boycott this type of marketing out of sheer principle. Play Civ3 Complete until Civ5 comes out if you have to. Maybe Civ will be less of a cheap shot then.

4. The last reason why you should be content with Civilization III and completely forget that Civilization IV was ever made is the most simple. Purchasing Civ3 Complete right now (1) will cost you less than half of Civ4; (2) is fully expanded while Civ4 is still looking to make more money off of us; and (3) Civ3 has the very same level of addictive game play as any other Civilization title. If you have already dropped the cash for Civ4, simply do not support Civ4 any longer. In fact, uninstall it and put it in your drawer as a sad chapter of shameless marketing. Yes, Civ4 is fun, but it is does not live up to its potential in most ways. Playing Civ3 will take up your time quite nicely until they release a REAL title that doesn't take advantage of us so blatantly.

To conclude, my overall point to stick with Civ3 and forego Civ4 is this: without an easy, efficient, and overwhelmingly powerful customizing interface (like an awesome map editor that allows FULL customization), we are simply asking for "re-tread" products. The fact that Firaxis did not include a kick-butt map editor proves in my mind that they expect us to wait for their "expansions" to come out and spend at least $150 each before they move onto Civ5. Hold out with Civ3 Complete and wait until Civ4 goes away.

Wow, this is an awesome article with a lot of truth in it. :eek:

But with the knowledge we now have about Civ Revolution: Why throws Sid Meier BTS "in the garbage bin" even before the first copy of BTS is sold? This seems a problem against the "shameless marketing" arguement. Is Civ 4 in the eyes of Sid Meier so bad, that he can´t stand this any longer?

Don´t forget, the name of the game is "Sid Meiers Civilization IV". I have never seen a statement from Sid Meier, that Civ IV is the game, he always wanted to do as he now does for Civ Revolution - and this some days before BTS is coming on the market..

And now to the always coming arguement, "why you say this in Civ IV forums, don´t play Civ IV and let us allone with this phantastic game":
This is the only way to try to reflect you about this problem and therefore to speak about it in Civ IV forums is the only chance in trying to change something (so I know, the percentage to convince somebody from that goes against zero).

Whoever posted that review is a COMPLETE idiot.

You CAN build maps from scratch (and you can mod almost anything you want in the game). Yes, the game does not come with a native [build-from-scratch]Map builder, but you can easily use Notepad to edit and create your own map FROM SCRATCH.

Plus, members of the CIV 4 community have been gracious enough to actually create map builders where you can paint your own maps and convert them to CIV 4 maps.

I won't rebutt the whole post, because it's senseless to do so, but both people do not know what they are talking about.

I didn't mean to insult anybody for playing Civ 4. I just wanted to express my profound disappointment for something that could've been much greater.
I feel that this review from amazon.com summarizes most of my feelings about Civ 4. I didn't cite my reasons with this new thread cuz I would be repeating myself from previous posts. My main problem with Civ 4 is the AI which is given bonuses to make it harder to beat...
MY OWN thoughts are these: Whenever I get beat by the AI, I want it to be cuz the AI out-smarted/out-played me, not because it got bonus units and discounted upgrades. So if I were to go into Worldbuilder and give myself extra units, it would be called cheating, but when the AI has extra units, it's called a "higher difficulty level".

64 of 66 people found the following review helpful:
You Don't Need Civ4, August 21, 2006
By Kevin R. Haughn "Snootch" (San Diego, CA) - See all my reviews
Fun:
In late 2002, I took a second job at a major electronics retailer and decided to use my employee discount on what looked like a cool game: Civilization III. That game changed my life... in the gaming sense. It was everything I ever thought a computer game should be: turn-based strategy with multiple avenues to test my ego and self-promoted genius. Above all features of Civ3, however, my most favorite was the customization of the game through the map editor and the wonderful online resources of the Civ community. (I've downloaded more Civ3 files than MP3s.) This allowed me to express my self-proclaimed genius with new rules, technologies, and units (and all the accompanying chronologies and requisites) at my discretion. Nothing could get any better, I had thought.

When Civ4 was being talked about, however, I couldn't imagine on what grounds they could improve - except perhaps making the game even more customizable and thorough. Well, you've already read about the differing features of the game: less micro-management, more diplomatic and trade features, new technology trees, enhancing popular mechanics found in previous Civ titles, and of course, going 3D with it all.

When playing Civilization IV, you sense an overwhelming POTENTIAL to be a really great game. In my mind, that potential has not been fulfilled, and I hereby advise you to purchase Civ3 Complete instead and forego Civ4 if you haven't chosen so already. If you have already purchased Civ4, let's send a message to Firaxis Games that they need to do better - let's stop purchasing Civ products until they are actually without so many bugs, that aren't rushed to be released for the holidays, and that don't insult our intelligence by requiring expensive "expansion packs" which merely add content that should already have been included in the original release.

Here is a list of comparative reasons to only own Civ3 and not Civ4 and boycott future Civ titles until something changes for the better:

1. There is no map editor in Civ4. Instead, they included a "World Builder" which is so awkward and strange. It is not like Civ3's map editor where you can set starting positions, resources, civilizations, and terrain BEFORE you play the map. The "World Builder" of Civ4 only allows you to alter scenarios from the installation or randomly generated maps. You cannot create maps from scratch - you can only change what has already been created within predefined parameters.

2. Who needs 3D graphics for a turn-based strategy game? Civ4 is not fully 3D; it merely allows a tilting view from ground level to overhead. That can be cool, but consider the offset: it is unnecessary for this genre, it diverts computer resources from other cool and more thorough features, and it makes the game extremely difficult to modify. For Civ3, there are well over 1,000 things you can either download or make yourself and put right into the game. You don't have to know XTML or Python programming languages as you would in Civ4. Civ4 requires advanced education (like a graphics design or computer science degree) to simply alter things like governments, units, buildings, and game rules. Waiting for others to design them (like the amateur online community or the professional expansion packs) isn't so fun anymore.

3. Expanding content for more money? This was a problem with Civ3, as well - its first expansion pack was a total waste of money because everything was later put on the second expansion pack. People bought the first expansion pack because they loved Civ3 so much and didn't know it was a waste. (Many video game makers are taking advantage of gamers in this way, not just the Civilization makers.) My point here is to fight back. We already know what they are going to pull: Civ4 has an expansion pack out there titled Warlords. It basically includes elements intentionally left out so as to somehow formulate a "new" product. In the base version of Civ4, you have the Great People: artists, scientists, merchants, and prophets. Hmmm... now we get the warlords, eh? Oh, and a few other civilizations and buildings left out from before. Nice try... Boycott this type of marketing out of sheer principle. Play Civ3 Complete until Civ5 comes out if you have to. Maybe Civ will be less of a cheap shot then.

4. The last reason why you should be content with Civilization III and completely forget that Civilization IV was ever made is the most simple. Purchasing Civ3 Complete right now (1) will cost you less than half of Civ4; (2) is fully expanded while Civ4 is still looking to make more money off of us; and (3) Civ3 has the very same level of addictive game play as any other Civilization title. If you have already dropped the cash for Civ4, simply do not support Civ4 any longer. In fact, uninstall it and put it in your drawer as a sad chapter of shameless marketing. Yes, Civ4 is fun, but it is does not live up to its potential in most ways. Playing Civ3 will take up your time quite nicely until they release a REAL title that doesn't take advantage of us so blatantly.

To conclude, my overall point to stick with Civ3 and forego Civ4 is this: without an easy, efficient, and overwhelmingly powerful customizing interface (like an awesome map editor that allows FULL customization), we are simply asking for "re-tread" products. The fact that Firaxis did not include a kick-butt map editor proves in my mind that they expect us to wait for their "expansions" to come out and spend at least $150 each before they move onto Civ5. Hold out with Civ3 Complete and wait until Civ4 goes away.

Why don't you just play on the Noble difficulty then? That's where neither you or the A.I gets bonuses.

I feel that this review from amazon.com summarizes most of my feelings about Civ 4.

Okay, it's certainly an improvement to have some kind of explanation about why you don't like the game. I completely disagree with the review though. I know you didn't write it, so this is in no way meant to reflect on you personally, but I think the review is wrong, wrong, wrong.

You don't *have* to play on higher difficulty levels. If you stick to Noble, the AI has very few bonuses - you can get rid of the unit upgrade discounts by editing the XML (it's extremely easy to do and if you ask people on here nicely, they'll tell you how to do it). But wait, Noble is too easy! Well, that's just because the AI isn't very good (yet). Too bad. AI is very difficult to write - however, people are working on it, and it should be improved in BtS. Modders will improve it further. It does irritate me a little when people complain about the bonuses on Prince and above, however - you know very well that the AI will be given these bonuses if you choose to play on Prince, so if you don't want the bonuses to be there, why play on Prince in the first place? What you really want is for the AI to be smarter - fair enough. But please just say that. Don't complain about the bonuses - with the exception of unit upgrade discounts (easily changed) and some diplomacy unfairness (which is not all that terrible), the playing field is level at Noble level. That's a game with virtually no AI bonuses.

Like I said, the AI will be improved in BtS, and modders are always working on it. You could even try improving it yourself - if there's some particular AI stupidity that annoys you, have a go at correcting it.

Right, from this point onwards, I'm addressing the review, not the stuff you personally wrote...

In my mind, that potential has not been fulfilled, and I hereby advise you to purchase Civ3 Complete instead and forego Civ4 if you haven't chosen so already.

So let's see...you were looking forwards to Civ 4 as an improvement from Civ 3, but since you're bothered about the sale strategy of Civ 4...suddenly Civ 3 is a perfect game? If it was perfect, why did you bother trying Civ 4?

If you have already purchased Civ4, let's send a message to Firaxis Games that they need to do better - let's stop purchasing Civ products until they are actually without so many bugs, that aren't rushed to be released for the holidays,

Stopping purchasing Civ 4 products will not encourage them to fix bugs; it will encourage them to drop the Civ franchise completely, and never fix any remaining bugs. This is probably what you want - since Civ 3 is supposedly perfect - but it's not what most fans of the Civ series want. The rushed release schedule for Civ 4 *is* a valid grievance, but the correct way to respond to that would be not to buy Civ 4 in the first place, having heard the reports that it's buggy. You did the opposite - you ignored the reports about the bugs and bought it anyway, and now that Firaxis have fixed the bugs, you refus to buy the expansion packs that contain the fixes. Smart. Somehow, I don't think Firaxis are going to be able to make any sense of this "message" you're trying to send.

and that don't insult our intelligence by requiring expensive "expansion packs" which merely add content that should already have been included in the original release.

I wouldn't call them expensive. Furthermore, I'm very glad that Civ 4 has been available for us to play since 2005. If they had put all the expansion pack content into the original game, it *still* wouldn't have been released. I'm glad to have had the opportunity to play a *slightly* reduced version for a year and a half. The expansionless gameplay was hugely compelling - much better than my experience with Civ 3 - and Warlords improved it. Not by much, sure, but it was still fantastic value for money - these games are not particularly expensive if you know how to shop well, and it's such a great game that it's easily worth the money. Compare it to an online game with a subscription fee - they're much more expensive, and for me they're nowhere near as fun. Civ 4 is excellent value. Civ 3 may well be cheaper, but for the amount of enjoyment I get, I'm willing to pay the small extra cost and get the best version available. My time spent playing the game is far more valuable than the money I paid for it, and I don't see why I should waste time on Civ 3 when I could be playing Civ 4.

Until *what* changes for the better? How will we tell? Will you personally let us know when it happens, Mr. Reviewer?

1. There is no map editor in Civ4. Instead, they included a "World Builder" which is so awkward and strange. It is not like Civ3's map editor

That sums it up pretty well. It is not like Civ 3's map editor, therefore to you it is awkward and strange. Shqype has covered this complaint in more detail.

Who needs 3D graphics for a turn-based strategy game?

I agree. The thing is, games don't sell these days unless they're 3d. This is a shame - I much prefer 2d - but I'm afraid we have to expect it. My computer struggles a little with the graphics, but the game is still perfectly playable, and my computer is *old*. I bought it three years ago...secondhand! It's pretty ancient. On the bright side, the graphics do at least look *good*. Like you, I'd be happier if they were simpler and faster, but since we *have* to have 3d in today's market, at least they've done it well.

(but yeah, I agree that 2d is better - why do most of the public not understand that trying to display 3d images on a 2d screen does *not* makes things very easy to see - human vision is 2d stereo, not 3d - if we could see in 3d, that would be x-ray vision...)

Civ4 is not fully 3D; it merely allows a tilting view from ground level to overhead.

But this doesn't matter, because like you said, 3d graphics aren't necessary for a strategy game.

it makes the game extremely difficult to modify.

It makes the *graphics* difficult to modify. Boohoo. Anyway, the issue is the same as above - these days, people want 3d, and most creative computer users are learning to manipulate 3d structures. It's just the modern world.

For Civ3, there are well over 1,000 things you can either download or make yourself and put right into the game.

That's because Civ 3 has been around for longer. Firaxis have put a very strong emphasis on moddability in Civ 4. Plus, Civ 4 is a better game in the first place. In the long run, I think we'll see a better Civ 4 culture.

You don't have to know XTML or Python programming languages as you would in Civ4. Civ4 requires advanced education (like a graphics design or computer science degree) to simply alter things like governments, units, buildings, and game rules.

There is no such thing as "XTML". If you mean XML, then it's so simple that a ten year old child could easily edit it. Sure, the data may be complicated, but that's because it's a complicated game. The XML file structure itself does not add any significant complexity whatsoever. It pretty much just means you put some angle brackets around things - okay, maybe an average player couldn't create an XML file from scratch, but you don't need to do that - you just need to edit the existing files, and that is really, really easy. At least, it's as easy as it can be for such a complicated game with so many rules and variables. Also, XML is *not* programming language. It's not even a scripting language. It's just a way to layout some data.

Python is widely used as a scripting language. I don't have any experience with it myself, but I gather it's reasonably easy to use, as programming languages go. This is why Firaxis chose it. It's not an especially efficient way to do things, but they wanted the game to be easily moddable. Python is supposed to be there to make it easy. It's a worthwhile skill to learn - other games and applications use it in a similar way (to allow users to add fucntionality themselves), and this trend will probably continue. I need to learn it myself.

Waiting for others to design them (like the amateur online community or the professional expansion packs) isn't so fun anymore.

You seem to be saying that it used to be fun to wait for other people to make stuff for Civ 3. I think that's just your bad grammar though. I presume what you meant was that Civ 3 was more fun because you could mod it yourself. If you weren't so scared of angle brackets, you could easily mod Civ 4, too...

Expanding content for more money? This was a problem with Civ3, as well - its first expansion pack was a total waste of money because everything was later put on the second expansion pack.

Gosh, so when they released the second expansion pack, suddenly the countless hours of fun you'd had with the first expansion pack - which you had already decided was worth the moeny when you bought it - were snatched from your memory. Yeah, you didn't get anything out of the first expansion pack. It was a total waste of money. Just think, even though it had enough in it that you were willing to buy it, you could have not bought it and missed out on it all for months and months, and then saved a few measly dollars later. In fact, you could do this with all the expansion packs - wait till they release the next *game* before buying the final expansion pack for the previous game. Yeah, saving a few dozen dollars is definitely worth waiting a few years and then playing the second-latest game while everyone else enjoys the new one.

Or they could *not* put the old expansion content into the new expansions. It sounds like this is what you want. That'll be great for a multiplayer game - it'll be virtually impossible to find players with the same combination of expansion packs as you, unless you buy them all. Tell me, if (for example) Beyond The Sword *didn't* contain all the Warlords content, what exactly would Warlords owners *gain*, apart from incompatibility with a large number of potential multiplayer partners?

Firaxis don't charge a fortune for Civ. You seem to think they should have built BtS into it from the start; if they'd tried that, not only would Civ 4 *still* not have been released, they'd probably never have been given clearence to make it in the first place. They need to have a stream of income in order to be able to develop the game. They couldn't have done BtS unless they'd already successfully sold Civ 4 and Warlords.

Play Civ3 Complete until Civ5 comes out if you have to. Maybe Civ will be less of a cheap shot then.

If everyone had followed this advice and not bought Civ 4, that would have been the end of Civ. There would never be a Civ 5.

Purchasing Civ3 Complete right now (1) will cost you less than half of Civ4

And we're talking megabucks here, folks. Literally pennies per hour of entertainment. I think most people here will agree that the game is extremely addictive (because it's just so good)...surely that's worth the tiny cost per hour? It's a lot cheaper than heroin, and not as bad for you!

Civ3 has the very same level of addictive game play as any other Civilization title.

I can't give much of an argument against this; I can't stand Civ 3, but obviously many other people love it.

If you have already dropped the cash for Civ4, simply do not support Civ4 any longer. In fact, uninstall it and put it in your drawer as a sad chapter of shameless marketing.

Yeah, that'll tell 'em! Firaxis will pick it up on their worldwide "games-that-have-been-put-back-into-drawers scanner" and regret that you're not playing a game you already paid them for.

Yes, Civ4 is fun,

But it's not quite perfect, so you mustn't play it, or any other game that's not completely perfect. Also, even if you're willing to play a less-than-perfect game just because it's fun, you mustn't play *this* one, no matter how fun it is - it's been contaminated by marketing and the profit motive. You must never buy any games that have been released in order to generate a profit. Just because they're fun, doesn't mean you'll enjoy them!

without an easy, efficient, and overwhelmingly powerful customizing interface (like an awesome map editor that allows FULL customization)

So, you want all modding to be done via a map editor? That sounds quite limiting to me. The Civ 4 modding framework is a lot more widely scoped and versatile.

we are simply asking for "re-tread" products.

In my view, the number one reason to buy Civ 4 instead of Civ 3 is that Firaxis have genuinely tried very hard to improve the game, and have succeeded spectacularly. They approached the idea ina very sensible way, taking out the bits that weren't fun, refining the bits that were, and adding some excellent new concepts.

(note: this post was written between 8 and 9:30 am after a sleepless night; apologies for any incoherence or excess venom...)

quetzaln said:

Sorry for droping a cold water bucket in your head, but CivIII AI has even bigger bonuses than the CivIV one, the shameless of all is that AI know where are all the resources ( late ones included ) and the world map ( didn't you noticed those sneaky AI galleys coming from literally the other side of the world putting a city in your backyard, where by acident :lol: always appeard a coal, oil or alluminium resource? ).
I not demeriting CivIII ( I still play it and love it, as well as SMAC ) but CiV IV is from a whole diferent league. Probably is not your cup of tea, but we can't do nothing about it.

I'm surprised such a blatent troll post has gotten so many heated responses.

Though I just have, don't feed trolls, people :p

Even if this isn't some attention grabbing post, who cares if he doesn't like the game? Let it go...

All I really wanted is a feature where u can turn off "Show Units over Cities" (like in Civ3).
That coupled with Dale's Combat mod and I'll probably re-install Civ IV.
I've been drawn back into the magnetic field of Civ. Again I dream of colonizing distant lands, amassing huge armies, and forging a utopian existence for all within my empire.
Forgive my transgressions, for I am a civ-fanatic at heart and I'll probably always be playing off & on even if the game has a few flaws.

There is no such thing as "XTML". If you mean XML, then it's so simple that a ten year old child could easily edit it. Sure, the data may be complicated, but that's because it's a complicated game. The XML file structure itself does not add any significant complexity whatsoever. It pretty much just means you put some angle brackets around things - okay, maybe an average player couldn't create an XML file from scratch, but you don't need to do that - you just need to edit the existing files, and that is really, really easy. At least, it's as easy as it can be for such a complicated game with so many rules and variables. Also, XML is *not* programming language. It's not even a scripting language. It's just a way to layout some data.

Python is widely used as a scripting language. I don't have any experience with it myself, but I gather it's reasonably easy to use, as programming languages go. This is why Firaxis chose it. It's not an especially efficient way to do things, but they wanted the game to be easily moddable. Python is supposed to be there to make it easy. It's a worthwhile skill to learn - other games and applications use it in a similar way (to allow users to add fucntionality themselves), and this trend will probably continue. I need to learn it myself.

Well then, I'm 12, let's see if I can mod CIV? *Goes to XML* *Head explodes* Dude, I HATE XML and Python! The only thing so far I've been able to do modding-wise is to enable flying camera mode! See, I want to increase the musketmans strength from 9 to 10 and I was so freaking overwhelmed by the complexity of it! Also, this worldbuilder is quite possibly the WORST addition of CIV! As of playing it for 2 years, I STILL haven't found the button to put individual terrain tiles!

I actually agree with alot of what the user from amazon put. A little over the top but I feel the same way about warlords. I do think warlords was 60-70% stuff that was left out of vanilla just so vanilla could be out before christmas. I ain't going to point out all of it though.

@mythmonster2: If you still want your muskets at str 10, go to this directory:
C:/Program Files/Firaxis Games/Sid Meier's Civilization 4/Assets/XML/Units

Locate the file CIV4UnitInfos.xml

Then copy and paste the file to the directory:
My Documents/My Games/Sid Meiers Civilization 4/Assets/XML/Units

Once it is pasted there, right click it and go to 'edit'. Then At the top menu go to Edit and select "Find..." then type in "musketman" and click the Find/Find Next button. Make sure the radial button is set to search down though not up. When it finds the word musketman in the file, delete musketman from the "Find Box" and replace it with "icombat". Then you will see a 9, in the code. Change it to a 10, save and your done. Close it out and load up civ. :D

Top Bottom