Unique Buildings

Veshta

Warlord
Something to takes people's mind of the little things :)

The Good:
Bazaar (Arab Market) - Awesome beyond belief. Get open borders and you'll be rolling in it.
Opera House (Austrian Theatre) - Solid performer, double culture and extra happiness.
Stan (Bulgarian Stable) - Twin promotion Konnik spam without barracks, whats not to like.
Winery (Burgund Brewery) - Health and culture, essential ingredients for fine living!
Noria (Cordoban Granary) - Hammers and health, extremely useful.
Dike (Dutch Levee) - Hammers on all water tiles? Yes please. A very late tech but power makes it worth it.
Chateau (French Manor) - Hammers on a 'must have' early building, yes please!
Genoan Bank (Genoan Bank) - Free Merchant, holy hell! That is 4.5 gold per bank plus GP points (and probably culture+beakers)!..
Vegvar (Hungarian Castle) - 2x2 general winter of RFC fame, very good for defensive play and comes online just as the evil Austrians show up
Veche Hall (Kievan Courthouse) - Happiness and justice in one package. Good for food rich, luxury poor Kiev.
Vaivadija (Lithuanian Courthouse) - +3xp to all land units. Makes creating an elite army a breeze combined with other xp buildings.
Folwark (Polish Granary) - Extra food and almost as powerful as vanilla granaries. Makes them nigh impervious to plagues due to sheer growth potential.
Feitoria (Portugese Harbor) - Gold and Food. Infinitely better than the old one, makes early life confined to the coast much more bearable.
Citadel (Spanish Castle) - Works just as well in RFC:E as in RFC. Near constant warfare means elite siege is a godsend.
Soldier Tennant (Swedish Barracks) - Faster units combined with cheap Muskets = POWER! :lol:
Arsenal (Venitian Drydock) - Fast supercharged navy. Only detriment is the lateness of the thing, last UHV goal which is only one where it is of use requires grabbing a single city for Atlantic access .. does make for some impressive naval spam by AI though.

The Bad:
Hippodrome (Byzanz Theatre) - Happiness out the wazoo, but comes rather late so as to have limited use for UHV purposes. Already have all non-arab/colony specific luxury so even less impact.
- Wouldn't the stable with a happiness bonus be better given the UU and lateness of Drama?
Royal Exchange (British Bank) - 15% extra gold. Would be worth spamming if it was half price, but as is it is something to build while idling.
- Guildhall with free merchant or a gold bonus would not only be better but historically applicable.
Rat House (German Courthouse) - 75% maintenance cost for a Civ that is not meant to become super huge. Completely wasted.
- Would love to have the Vaivadija or Veche Hall instead. With new stability system perhaps more stability bonus rather than decreased maintenance?
Kremlin (Moscow Castle) - more defence against units that are obsoleted a couple of hundred years later when Muskets come around. Useless +25% espionage, distances needed to travel for spies and overall cost of missions makes it very underwhelming.
Trading Post (Norse Lighthouse) - extra movement for sea units. Not a big difference as most gameplay is landbased.
- Straight xp bonus to sea units, an extra trade route or even some stability would be much better.
Hammam (Ottoman Aqueduct) - Carried over from RFC where it worked really well. Same issue as Hippodrome, happiness is really the least of the areas problems.
- Been talk of changing their UA as well, so perhaps something that syergizes with whatever is done?

I disagree with some of your comments.

Vaivadija (Lithuanian Courthouse): This will be changed. Currently, the +3 xp is too OP. You'll automatically have 6 xp for each land unit. Mounted units and Archery units will recieve another 2 xp. We didn't have a good idea what it should have as an unique feature yet.

Hippodrome (Byzanz Theatre) - You can build the hippodrome right away. So you can immidiately make use of it. So enough time for the UHV. And being buildable so early, that's one of the unique powers. (Like you can build the Sumerian Ziggurat much earlier in a vanilla game, although it isn't very strong)

Royal Exchange (British Bank) - +15% can be quite usefull. Personally, I think it's one of the stronger UB's of them all.

Rat House (German Courthouse) - These are very useful combined with corporations, which have a much bigger maintenance costs than vanilla RFC corps. The will save you about 3 :gold: each corps in each city. That's quite strong. But without corps they are indeed not so strong.

With most of the other comments of you I agree.

Aah, didn't know Byzanz got theatre without needing Drama. Guess its worth it for the early culture then, happiness has never been an issue for me at least.

Compare the Royal Exchange to the Genoan Bank .. you need a lot of commerce to make up the difference of 4.5G with a palsy 15% and that is not accounting for merchant GP points which are valuable due to all late corporations needing merchants ..

Did not think of corporation effect with Rat House, then again it is really specific use and to me not that game changing as Germany has an insane economy even without courts thanks to multiple silvers and rivers everywhere.

doesn't byzant start with drama?

I agree mostly with you. Especially on the English one, the +15% really doesnt do that much, especially when england is usually running at 80% science or higher.

Rat House in theory is really good, but practically yes, it doesnt do that much for the AI. Whatever Germany is good already.

I mentioned this a while ago but now there is a thread for this! I don't think Burgundy should get the winery for historical reasons. It wouldn't make sense IMO to take away their brewery and leave the breweries in Iberian and Italian Civs when Iberians and Italians didn't drink beer!!! Shouldn't all of those civs then get wineries instead of breweries? It's hard to put a civ in either one category or other, when the French and German civs historically would build both.

I had an idea. What if Civs could build both.. but the breweries and wineries required their respective resource? This would place the buildings in their natural locations. Anybody notice there's no wine in Scandinavia? No barley in Iberia? :)

That is the simple solution. However, things can be complicated for the better for however much the modder involved is willing to put up with ;) There are lots of possibilities:
Either one source could allow unlimited buildings, or one source could provide for four buildings like the 4 x Church = Cathedral system. With wineries and breweries harder to come by, the buildings could have much better benefits. Like +1 stability and +2 happiness or a tiny gold bonus for each? Something might be added to provide a slight difference between the two. For example, a brewery will produce +1 happiness with honey, +1 happiness with wheat. Churches and Monasteries will produce +1 happiness with the winery. More or less even, no?

Suddenly, owning wine or barley is a lot more important, isn't it? Maybe a player would then be driven to actually try to trade for these resources? :D England and other Northern factions will have to look to the South if they want to enjoy the benefits of wine, while the owners of Eastern Germany and the Bohemian region will prosper from their beer surplus. :)

Makes the game just that tiny bit more interesting, wouldn't you say?

EDIT: I completely forgot about something, are Muslim civs working wine resources and building breweries in the game?? :confused:

Top Bottom