Unique, fun, stupid or cheesy strategies?

@KaoticKanine , if you've got gold to spare, you could purchase some longswords/pikes right before you enter the Renaissance through Gunpowder, then upgrade them, that'll probably get you more leverage out of your faith, especially since faith purchase costs go up in the Renaissance.

Now that I think about it, that's what I was subconciously thinking about too, which is why I remember easily being able to faith purchase 7 units in a turn. Stupid me always forgets to include the details, really sorry about that!

@KaoticKanine , if you've got gold to spare, you could purchase some longswords/pikes right before you enter the Renaissance through Gunpowder, then upgrade them, that'll probably get you more leverage out of your faith, especially since faith purchase costs go up in the Renaissance.

Now that I think about it, that's what I was subconciously thinking about too, which is why I remember easily being able to faith purchase 7 units in a turn. Stupid me always forgets to include the details, really sorry about that!
It's all good dude, no worries ;D Thank you so much for the clarifications and tips! I'll be sure to do that in my current Zulu game, or a next playthrough (thinking the latter since I spawned in a very un-ideal location. Map being Pangea and I'm at the bottom, with China literally blocking three other Civs from me lol)

Given that Zulu naturally need less XP to level up units, in my last game playing as them I already had numerous Longswordsmen/Pikemen/Landsnecht promoted to have Blitz (and most of the unique Ikanda promotions!) before I ever unlocked Gunpowder. I'm not saying the suggested strat couldn't work, only that I don't think it provides that much more of a boost than the Zulu already get just being the Zulu!

Also, just to have it said: High-level Impi with full Ikanda promotions and Blitz + Authority heal-on-kill promotion has got to be one of the most joyously overpowering feelings in the game right now. If you've already been on a warmongering spree up to that point, it's just a huge dollop of icing on your Domination Cake, being able to sweep over your opponents armies like a tsunami. :ar15:

Oh, and just to be absolutely certain I don't confuse anybody...

@KaoticKanine , if you've got gold to spare, you could purchase some longswords/pikes right before you enter the Renaissance through Gunpowder....

I meant faith-purchase with Zealotry, then upgrade them. It's pointless to gold-purchase them.

Trying out Denmark on Immortal.

Two of my favourite "cheesing" strategies exploiting the Viking/Longboat promotions:
1. Declare war early on on two nearby CS before they get pledge of protection. Use horsemen&swordsmen to bring one down to almost zero HP, thus gaining lots of gold. Then, leave it alone (still at war!) and move your troops (around 6 should be enough with drill promotions) to the other CS, do the same. After that, you should have researched metal casting, and with lots of gold&experience from fighting CS, you can upgrade&buy lots of berserkers (later knights) and go on a rampage against an AI of your choice, earning even more gold for even more troops etc.

2. Capture a coastal city (or intentionally place an undefended coastal city of your own). Remove all troops (at least one mounted!) outside the city, wait for the AI to capture the city with a ship. Capture the city (in the process gaining gold etc. and destroying the ship), then leave the city again. Repeat a few times for a lot of gold you can use on other stuff, without risk of your units destroyed.

Top Bottom