1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Unique Unit Elimination Thread

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by BasedGod, Sep 11, 2013.

1. Frossa

Frossa Prince

It doesn't even have to be an offensive unit. It is actually better as defensive one, and picking Faith Healers as a Pantheon and fortifying these guys next to a city they will heal 50 hp each turn, even as it attacks the enemies trying to siege said city. I'm guessing you haven't tried using them like that yet. Easily one of the (if not the) best UUs in the game, and easily beats most of the things left on this list, the SoTL being one of them.

2. Via

Via Chieftain

Camel Archer 41
    Carolean 32 - Carolean and Janissary are quite close, but I think they are both inferior to Impis, ranged units are more impactful
    Chu-Ko-Nu 43
    Impi 37
    Janissary 38
    Keshik 45
    Longbowman 41
    Pathfinder 29 - only unit left that improves your peace game
    Siege Tower 14

3. VicRatlhead5199

VicRatlhead5199 King

Camel Archer 41
    Carolean 29-I have to vote this down for two reasons. It's special is a promotion that any unit can get. If I'm really warmongering I usually have riflemen with march whether I'm Sweden or not just because of how late it is in the game. It also doesn't mesh well with the UA, use it too much and your UA can go from amazing to truly subpar. I wish this unit was part of a more warmongering civ then I wouldn't have to vote it down because it really is a great unit.
    Chu-Ko-Nu 43
    Impi 37
    Janissary 38
    Keshik 45
    Longbowman 41
    Pathfinder 29
    Siege Tower 15- Too early? Seriously? Capture, raze and repeat. It's not like you need a huge army to knock down a non-capital city with one of these. You'll have the tech lead before too long and at the same time you're seriously hamstringing your competition. Stupid AI will keep settling new cities near you for you to raze.

4. Frossa

Frossa Prince

Why so much hate on the Caroleans all of a sudden? ;-;

Also, about March being a promotion any unit can get; so? It's one of the most worthwhile promotions that exist, and already having it saves you a lot of time if you want to get both March and Logistics, which by the way is an amazing synergy.

5. jlim201

jlim201 King

VicRatlhead, not everyone likes war, it's called different play styles. I personally think that units that serve multiple purposes are better. Siege Towers are bad against a civ with a large military regardless of tech level.

6. VicRatlhead5199

VicRatlhead5199 King

I know, it's not that I don't like them, they're great units. The march thing though, it's not saving all that much time if you started warmongering in the classical or medieval. I often have a few infantry types there before even researching rifling. It's nice to have a UU that has something unique that nobody else can get, like the Jag's or Janissary's.

That and they just don't mesh with the UA. At least the janissary comes with a UA that likes warmongering.

7. fuzzatron717

fuzzatron717 Holy Warrior

Camel Archer 41
    Carolean 30 I love you even if you aren't used
    Chu-Ko-Nu 43
    Impi 37
    Janissary 38
    Keshik 45
    Longbowman 41
    Pathfinder 29
    Siege Tower 12 TOO EARLY!!! I focus on defending trade routes from barbarians rather than building a huge army that destroys my economy which can be very fragile most games.

8. Frossa

Frossa Prince

But Sweden doesn't have to play offensively to put good use of the Caroleans. They are even better when on defense, as they can attack the intruders, and heal 20 hp each turn (50 hp each turn if next to a city with Faith Healers), whereas any other civ would do better to just sit his units on fortification to be able to heal. Does nobody understand that?

9. DeathwatchBob

DeathwatchBob Chieftain

Camel Archer 41
    Carolean 30
    Chu-Ko-Nu 43
    Impi 34
    Janissary 38
    Keshik 45
    Longbowman 41
    Pathfinder 30
    Siege Tower 12

Even as the Zulu, I prefer to start the domination engine after picking up Autocracy. Maybe especially as the Zulu since Big Ben + Commerce + Autocracy + Brandenburg = rush buy Logistics Artillery for under 300 gold.

Pathfinder boosts your game regardless of VC. The superior start gives you a fantastic base for post-ideology domination. Or you can just upgrade a few to comp bows and terrorize your neighbors right off the bat.

10. jlim201

jlim201 King

Camel Archer 41
    Carolean 30
    Chu-Ko-Nu 43
    Impi 34
    Janissary 39- Great for facing large armies.
    Keshik 42- This is not actually that good in my experiences, and there are better units on this list.
    Longbowman 41
    Pathfinder 30
    Siege Tower 12

11. cpm4001

cpm4001 Goggleman

Ah, but they do mesh with one half of the UA (and I would argue the other half, too.) Going warmongering gets you Great Generals, and since you rarely need more than a couple of them the rest can be gifted to City-States to keep them allied (saving you gold!) As for the other half, there's almost always some scapegoat the rest of the civs hate, and jumping in other civs' wars against said scapegoat is an opportunity to get extra positive diplo modifiers. As for the janissary, the Ottoman UA may be pro-warmongering, but it's entirely geared towards the navy, not the land units.

No idea - I think everyone ignored them while upvoting the Keshiks et al and then suddenly decided they weren't "unique" enough (that and Sweden gets WAY too much grief)...Voting up the Carolean right now.

Camel Archer 41
    Carolean 30 + 1 = 31
    Chu-Ko-Nu 43
    Impi 34
    Janissary 38 - 3 = 35
    Keshik 45
    Longbowman 41
    Pathfinder 30
    Siege Tower 12

12. Singularitie

Singularitie Chieftain

Camel Archer 41
    Carolean 31
    Chu-Ko-Nu 43
    Impi 34
    Janissary 35
    Keshik 46
    Longbowman 41
    Pathfinder 27
    Siege Tower 12

Keshik is just too good. You can't defend a city against a handful of them.
    There just aren't enough ruins to justify the pathfinder. It's really good don't get me wrong but I think the others are a little better. Hard choice though.

13. VicRatlhead5199

VicRatlhead5199 King

Whoa whoa whoa! Back up a little. I'm not saying the Carolean is a bad unit. In fact in my previous posts I said it's a great unit. That was actually my first downvote for any of the remaining units, I had to pick one. As far as the remaining units go I'd just prefer the janissary who has a unique promotion. Once they do get march they're everything a Carolean is and more. That's really my reasoning behind it.

Also in all honesty on defense if you're attacking with a melee unit you're better off using a mounted unit who can cover more area and retreat to avoid focus fire from invaders. Even moreso in the industrial where Cavalry is as strong as riflemen. Infantry is better for fortifying as a wall in front of ranged units or cities. The Carolean is good for that, true, but really defending home territory is possible for any schmuck with the plain jane units. You don't really need a UU for defense that's why I'm more interested in their offensive utility.

I'm not all warmonger either or I would be voting the pathfinder down before the Carolean. It's really multipurpose for any VC but doesn't have nearly the same impact on combat that the Carolean does.

14. Crafty Bison

Crafty Bison King

Camel Archer 41
    Carolean 31
    Chu-Ko-Nu 43
    Impi 34
    Janissary 32 - It's not even that I think it's the weakest one here, I just want the Jaguar back, which Imo is much, much better, and the best standard melee unit.
    Keshik 46
    Longbowman 42 For me the CKN is better if you didn't bother with an army before medieval, but as they're both pure military civs, the longbows are stronger once you get to logistics, so gets my vote.
    Pathfinder 27
    Siege Tower 12

15. jlim201

jlim201 King

Camel Archer 41
    Carolean 31
    Chu-Ko-Nu 43
    Impi 34
    Janissary 33
    Keshik 43

Longbowman 42
    Pathfinder 27
    Siege Tower 12

My vote was skipped

16. arand86

arand86 Warlord

If a UU is relegated to defense only, it honestly isn't too good. The carolean is a nice unit that gives Sweden flexibility to pull a war out of its pocket if peacemaking isn't working, but I think compared to powerhouses like impis, Keshiks, CKNs, Longbows and Siege towers, it just can't hold up.

17. BUDISMYBUDDY

BUDISMYBUDDY Chieftain

Camel Archer 41
    Carolean 31
    Chu-Ko-Nu 43
    Impi 34
    Janissary 33
    Keshik 43+1= 44 still the best along with chu
    Longbowman 42-3= 39 i just want to get people mad
    Pathfinder 27
    Siege Tower 12

18. Walter R

Walter R Great Engineer

Teagen I note this is your 2nd vote of the day (twice on 17th) and both times you voted down the SOTL - must really hate these then?

Edit: Sorry, my mistake, I see you were correcting previous post.

19. Walter R

Walter R Great Engineer

Camel Archer 41
    Carolean 31
    Chu-Ko-Nu 43
    Impi 34
    Janissary 33
    Keshik 44
    Longbowman 40
    Pathfinder 27
    Siege Tower 9

They're all good units left.

20. Jamesson

Jamesson Chieftain

Camel Archer 41
    Carolean 31
    Chu-Ko-Nu 43
    Impi 34
    Janissary 33
    Keshik 44
    Longbowman 40
    Pathfinder 28 Don't get the pathfinder hate. Easily allows you to grab the lead early on.
    Siege Tower 6 Just the worst of what's left.