Camel Archer 38
Carolean 21
Chu-Ko-Nu 46
Impi 34
Janissary 24
Keshik 40
Longbowman 42
Pathfinder 16

Carolean - some units has to get negative vote, so Carolean seems to be unlucky. Most boring unit on the list. Comes into play at the time when there are lot better units around, and unless you're going for dom victory, you probably won't even go that tech path.

Chu-Ko-Nu - comes with great and useful tech, and they are great on attacking and defending, even after the nerf. Two or three well placed CKN's will fend of any aggro, and will take down defenses for rest of the units to capture a city if attacking, like cannons and (long)swords. Oh and no resources req, which means, you'll always be able to build them, unlike Keshiks.

Keshik 43- Ill keep voting this down, because I think its the worst unit left. It's also situational, as you need horses.

Keshik 40- As per the above post. Very overrrated.

Very overrated ? You can't touch it and it gets XP faster. Its highly rated for a reason. XP gets you logistics. Logistics gets you range. Or go the other way. Doesn't really matter. You will not get a unit with more promotions. They were designed to be the most dominant military unit on the board, and they are.

Camel Archer 38
Carolean 21 + 1 = 22 - Well, it'll either be the Pathfinder or the Carolean next to go (though why, no one knows...), but I'll try to keep this fellow alive a bit longer. It's not boring, it's far better than the generic rifleman, and Sweden's music is the best in the game.
Chu-Ko-Nu 46
Impi 34
Janissary 24 - 3 = 21 - Really running out of stuff to downvote, but I think I'll jump on these guys some more.
Keshik 40
Longbowman 42
Pathfinder 16

Camel Archer 38
Carolean 22
Chu-Ko-Nu 46
Impi 34
Janissary 22 Trying to keep this alive longer.
Keshik 40
Longbowman 42
Pathfinder 13 Sorry, I couldn't find something else to downvote.

Camel Archer 38
Carolean 19
Chu-Ko-Nu 46
Impi 35
Janissary 22
Keshik 40
Longbowman 42
Pathfinder 13

The list is so short now! Had to go with Impi over Carolean. By the time Impi upgrade into rifles (which they do!), they will have so many promo's stacked that a single march upgrade seems so insignificant.

Camel Archer 38
Carolean 19
Chu-Ko-Nu 46
Impi 35
Janissary 22
Keshik 41 To address the previous comment that the fact you need horses makes this situational, I would look at it from a different standpoint; As long as you have horses, which shouldn't be too difficult and should be a top priority for early mongol settlements, there isn't a situation where 4-5 Keshiks couldn't clear a continent. Jungle, forest, plains, hills, anything, and they can make out without being hit.
Longbowman 42
Pathfinder 10 Gotta go with the pathfinder here. First one to upvote it, but it is true that although it garuntees good luck and the early CompBow is nice, it isn't quite as game changing as some of these units.

wow i can't believe you guys are slapping the PF's around like this. i mean yeah these other units can annihilate the game, but the PF affects every single game regardless whether you decide to wreck faces or not.

wow i can't believe you guys are slapping the PF's around like this. i mean yeah these other units can annihilate the game, but the PF affects every single game regardless whether you decide to wreck faces or not.

If you think of it this way;

If each Pathfinder you have finds you 2.5 ruins, and you have 2 pathfinders, you get 5 ruins.
Likely choices; 1 pop ruin, 1 culture ruin, 2 upgrade ruins, 1 tech ruin

If the starting scout and warrior were to only find 2 ruins per, and the rolls were random, it's quite possible that you'd get something along the lines of 1 culture ruin, 1 gold ruin, 1 camp ruin and one science ruin.

I think the pathfinder gives a nice boost to begin with which is why it made it so far, but it's really not as substantial as you'd think. It works great with the Shoshone 'Get big fast and hold it' strategy with the UA, but alone as a unit I don't feel it's as good as an impi or Keshik.

well yeah, i guess my thought here is, take a standard "i'm just going to turtle-up for your average ho-hum C/D/SV". i can already accomplish any auxilliary military goals to support this with a purely vanilla civ. but i can virtually quit the game on turn 15 if i pop all the right huts.* but yeah these other units can come along later and do the same thing.

*kinda requires an evaluation of your chances at a turtle victory which is very likely in this current version.

Keshik 43- It's also situational, as you need horses.

This comment is fair ...However, I never have horses when I play as the Mongols. But a nearby CS always seems to, also you can trade for Horses before getting a more secure supply. You do the math here, I can take that CS very quickly because of my UA (see it is useful) with a relatively small force before I can even build my UU. Of course the rest of the world will hate you, it doesn't matter because once those Keshiks arrive they all die and learn to bend the knee to the Horde!

I am not even joking ...the best luck I had with unclaimed horses was a 2 tiles from another AI. So I settled it and crushed them instead of a CS, more it was difficult though.

those comments downgrading the keshiks has my head hurting

I suspect some of the down votes are because it is the biggest threat to their UU of choice. A lot of the reasons given are badly thought out.

Camel Archer 38
Carolean 16
Chu-Ko-Nu 46
Impi 35
Janissary 22
Keshik 42
Longbowman 42
Pathfinder 10

Since I don't want to downvote the Pathfinder yet again, -3 to Carolean. March upgrade is available through normal means as well, and unlike Chu-Ko-Nu or Longbowman (who also get tier 3 promotions) it arrives later while being a melee unit.

+1 to Keshik. Because it's Keshik. Do you really need another explanation?

Camel Archer 38
Carolean 13
Chu-Ko-Nu 46
Impi 35
Janissary 23
Keshik 42
Longbowman 42
Pathfinder 10

I prefer janissary because it's unique promotion is better compared with the carolean and not unique promo.

If you think of it this way;

If each Pathfinder you have finds you 2.5 ruins, and you have 2 pathfinders, you get 5 ruins.
Likely choices; 1 pop ruin, 1 culture ruin, 2 upgrade ruins, 1 tech ruin

If the starting scout and warrior were to only find 2 ruins per, and the rolls were random, it's quite possible that you'd get something along the lines of 1 culture ruin, 1 gold ruin, 1 camp ruin and one science ruin.

I think the pathfinder gives a nice boost to begin with which is why it made it so far, but it's really not as substantial as you'd think. It works great with the Shoshone 'Get big fast and hold it' strategy with the UA, but alone as a unit I don't feel it's as good as an impi or Keshik.

Do not forget that you start with Pathfinder instead of a Warrior, so you will find more ruins than in your normal other civ game. And the best thing you can get from the ruins is actually a Faith, which is missing in your list.

If you get one or two promotions, you are ready for any AI early rush you can imagine on any difficulty.

For more insight, this is brilliant write up about Shoshones by Tich - http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=506043

Camel Archer 38
Carolean 14 Save the endangered Swedish Carolean today!
Chu-Ko-Nu 46
Impi 35
Janissary 20 Had to downvote something, right?
Keshik 42
Longbowman 42
Pathfinder 10

Camel Archer 38
Carolean 15
Chu-Ko-Nu 46
Impi 35
Janissary 20
Keshik 42
Longbowman 42
Pathfinder 7

I just want pathfinders to die before Caroleans, they can be unstoppable war machines. Pathfinders can give your civ faster start yes, but it's pretty difficult to get a lot of ruins on higher difficulty levels, since each AI starts with scout and quickly builds another one. While Caroleans are not as continent clearing as some other units on this list, they play huge role on industrial era and onward, and can be played both offensively and defensively. They also do have some synergy with Swedish UA, unlike some people think: warmongering gives Great Generals, and since you don't need that many of them, you can give to CS's.

Camel Archer 38
Carolean 15
Chu-Ko-Nu 43 -3 Inferior to the Keshik
Impi 35
Janissary 20
Keshik 43 +1 Has been down voted for bad reasons
Longbowman 42
Pathfinder 7

Camel Archer 38
Carolean 12 Weakest of what's left
Chu-Ko-Nu 43
Impi 35
Janissary 20
Keshik 43
Longbowman 42
Pathfinder 8 Trying to save this

Camel Archer 38
Carolean 10
Chu-Ko-Nu 43
Impi 36
Janissary 20
Keshik 43
Longbowman 42
Pathfinder 8

Carolean...oh look, it's a regular rifleman with March. Comes so late you could easily have March on your Muskets by that time anyway.
Nothing worth getting excited over.

Impi. Unstoppable unit when combined w/ the unique upgrades it can get, and upgrading to a rifle not a useless lancer makes it even better.

Top Bottom