1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Unique Unit Elimination Thread

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by BasedGod, Sep 11, 2013.

1. njmfff

njmfff Prince

Camel Archer 38
    Carolean 21
    Chu-Ko-Nu 46
    Impi 34
    Janissary 24
    Keshik 40
    Longbowman 42
    Pathfinder 16

Carolean - some units has to get negative vote, so Carolean seems to be unlucky. Most boring unit on the list. Comes into play at the time when there are lot better units around, and unless you're going for dom victory, you probably won't even go that tech path.

Chu-Ko-Nu - comes with great and useful tech, and they are great on attacking and defending, even after the nerf. Two or three well placed CKN's will fend of any aggro, and will take down defenses for rest of the units to capture a city if attacking, like cannons and (long)swords. Oh and no resources req, which means, you'll always be able to build them, unlike Keshiks.

2. whyidie

whyidie Emperor

Very overrated ? You can't touch it and it gets XP faster. Its highly rated for a reason. XP gets you logistics. Logistics gets you range. Or go the other way. Doesn't really matter. You will not get a unit with more promotions. They were designed to be the most dominant military unit on the board, and they are.

3. cpm4001

cpm4001 Goggleman

Camel Archer 38
    Carolean 21 + 1 = 22 - Well, it'll either be the Pathfinder or the Carolean next to go (though why, no one knows...), but I'll try to keep this fellow alive a bit longer. It's not boring, it's far better than the generic rifleman, and Sweden's music is the best in the game.
    Chu-Ko-Nu 46
    Impi 34
    Janissary 24 - 3 = 21 - Really running out of stuff to downvote, but I think I'll jump on these guys some more.
    Keshik 40
    Longbowman 42
    Pathfinder 16

4. TreYs

TreYs Chieftain

Camel Archer 38
    Carolean 22
    Chu-Ko-Nu 46
    Impi 34
    Janissary 22 Trying to keep this alive longer.
    Keshik 40
    Longbowman 42
    Pathfinder 13 Sorry, I couldn't find something else to downvote.

5. Matthew.

Matthew. Deity

Camel Archer 38
    Carolean 19
    Chu-Ko-Nu 46
    Impi 35
    Janissary 22
    Keshik 40
    Longbowman 42
    Pathfinder 13

The list is so short now! Had to go with Impi over Carolean. By the time Impi upgrade into rifles (which they do!), they will have so many promo's stacked that a single march upgrade seems so insignificant.

6. arand86

arand86 Warlord

Camel Archer 38
    Carolean 19
    Chu-Ko-Nu 46
    Impi 35
    Janissary 22
    Keshik 41 To address the previous comment that the fact you need horses makes this situational, I would look at it from a different standpoint; As long as you have horses, which shouldn't be too difficult and should be a top priority for early mongol settlements, there isn't a situation where 4-5 Keshiks couldn't clear a continent. Jungle, forest, plains, hills, anything, and they can make out without being hit.
    Longbowman 42
    Pathfinder 10 Gotta go with the pathfinder here. First one to upvote it, but it is true that although it garuntees good luck and the early CompBow is nice, it isn't quite as game changing as some of these units.

7. civ54lyfe

civ54lyfe Prince

wow i can't believe you guys are slapping the PF's around like this. i mean yeah these other units can annihilate the game, but the PF affects every single game regardless whether you decide to wreck faces or not.

8. arand86

arand86 Warlord

If you think of it this way;

If each Pathfinder you have finds you 2.5 ruins, and you have 2 pathfinders, you get 5 ruins.
    Likely choices; 1 pop ruin, 1 culture ruin, 2 upgrade ruins, 1 tech ruin

If the starting scout and warrior were to only find 2 ruins per, and the rolls were random, it's quite possible that you'd get something along the lines of 1 culture ruin, 1 gold ruin, 1 camp ruin and one science ruin.

I think the pathfinder gives a nice boost to begin with which is why it made it so far, but it's really not as substantial as you'd think. It works great with the Shoshone 'Get big fast and hold it' strategy with the UA, but alone as a unit I don't feel it's as good as an impi or Keshik.

9. civ54lyfe

civ54lyfe Prince

well yeah, i guess my thought here is, take a standard "i'm just going to turtle-up for your average ho-hum C/D/SV". i can already accomplish any auxilliary military goals to support this with a purely vanilla civ. but i can virtually quit the game on turn 15 if i pop all the right huts.* but yeah these other units can come along later and do the same thing.

*kinda requires an evaluation of your chances at a turtle victory which is very likely in this current version.

10. greygamer

greygamer Feudal Lord

This comment is fair ...However, I never have horses when I play as the Mongols. But a nearby CS always seems to, also you can trade for Horses before getting a more secure supply. You do the math here, I can take that CS very quickly because of my UA (see it is useful) with a relatively small force before I can even build my UU. Of course the rest of the world will hate you, it doesn't matter because once those Keshiks arrive they all die and learn to bend the knee to the Horde!

I am not even joking ...the best luck I had with unclaimed horses was a 2 tiles from another AI. So I settled it and crushed them instead of a CS, more it was difficult though.

11. BUDISMYBUDDY

BUDISMYBUDDY Chieftain

those comments downgrading the keshiks has my head hurting

12. greygamer

greygamer Feudal Lord

I suspect some of the down votes are because it is the biggest threat to their UU of choice. A lot of the reasons given are badly thought out.

13. Enrico Swagolo

Enrico Swagolo Deity

Camel Archer 38
    Carolean 16
    Chu-Ko-Nu 46
    Impi 35
    Janissary 22
    Keshik 42
    Longbowman 42
    Pathfinder 10

Since I don't want to downvote the Pathfinder yet again, -3 to Carolean. March upgrade is available through normal means as well, and unlike Chu-Ko-Nu or Longbowman (who also get tier 3 promotions) it arrives later while being a melee unit.

+1 to Keshik. Because it's Keshik. Do you really need another explanation?

14. Lights

Lights Warlord

Camel Archer 38
    Carolean 13
    Chu-Ko-Nu 46
    Impi 35
    Janissary 23
    Keshik 42
    Longbowman 42
    Pathfinder 10

I prefer janissary because it's unique promotion is better compared with the carolean and not unique promo.

15. Via

Via Chieftain

Do not forget that you start with Pathfinder instead of a Warrior, so you will find more ruins than in your normal other civ game. And the best thing you can get from the ruins is actually a Faith, which is missing in your list.

If you get one or two promotions, you are ready for any AI early rush you can imagine on any difficulty.

For more insight, this is brilliant write up about Shoshones by Tich - http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=506043

16. Frossa

Frossa Prince

Camel Archer 38
    Carolean 14 Save the endangered Swedish Carolean today!
    Chu-Ko-Nu 46
    Impi 35
    Janissary 20 Had to downvote something, right?
    Keshik 42
    Longbowman 42
    Pathfinder 10

17. Sake

Sake Warlord

Camel Archer 38
    Carolean 15
    Chu-Ko-Nu 46
    Impi 35
    Janissary 20
    Keshik 42
    Longbowman 42
    Pathfinder 7

I just want pathfinders to die before Caroleans, they can be unstoppable war machines. Pathfinders can give your civ faster start yes, but it's pretty difficult to get a lot of ruins on higher difficulty levels, since each AI starts with scout and quickly builds another one. While Caroleans are not as continent clearing as some other units on this list, they play huge role on industrial era and onward, and can be played both offensively and defensively. They also do have some synergy with Swedish UA, unlike some people think: warmongering gives Great Generals, and since you don't need that many of them, you can give to CS's.

18. greygamer

greygamer Feudal Lord

Camel Archer 38
    Carolean 15
    Chu-Ko-Nu 43 -3 Inferior to the Keshik
    Impi 35
    Janissary 20
    Keshik 43 +1 Has been down voted for bad reasons
    Longbowman 42
    Pathfinder 7

19. Jamesson

Jamesson Chieftain

Camel Archer 38
    Carolean 12 Weakest of what's left
    Chu-Ko-Nu 43
    Impi 35
    Janissary 20
    Keshik 43
    Longbowman 42
    Pathfinder 8 Trying to save this

20. ense7en

ense7en n7

Camel Archer 38
    Carolean 10
    Chu-Ko-Nu 43
    Impi 36
    Janissary 20
    Keshik 43
    Longbowman 42
    Pathfinder 8

Carolean...oh look, it's a regular rifleman with March. Comes so late you could easily have March on your Muskets by that time anyway.
    Nothing worth getting excited over.

Impi. Unstoppable unit when combined w/ the unique upgrades it can get, and upgrading to a rifle not a useless lancer makes it even better.