Ballista 20
Cossack 20
Naresuan's Elephant 20
Mandekalu Cavalry 20
Tercio 20
Conquistador 20
Hakkapeliitta 18
Carolean 20

Just a correction for my Keshik upvoting. :)

Minutemen 20
B17 20
Camel Archer 20
Hussar 20
Jaguar 20
Bowmen 20
African Forest Elephant 20
Quinquereme 20
Pictish Warrior 20
Chu-Ko-Nu 21
Berserker 20
Norwegian Ski Infantry 20
War Chariot 18
Longbowman 23
Ship of the Line 20
Mehal Sefari 20
Musketeer 20
Foreign Legion 20
Landsknecht 21
Panzer 20
Hoplite 20
Companion Cavalry 20
Horse Archer 20
Battering Ram 20
Slinger 18
War Elephant 21
Mohawk Warrior 20
Samurai 18
Zero 10
Turtle Ship 21
Hwach'a 19
Atlatist 20
Keshik 21
Sea Beggar 20
Janissary 20
Sipahi 20
Immortal 20
Maori Warrior 20
Legion 20
Ballista 20
Cossack 20
Naresuan's Elephant 20
Mandekalu Cavalry 20
Tercio 20
Conquistador 20
Hakkapeliitta 18
Carolean 20

Turtle Ship: Korea's unsung and, post-G&K, slightly more than borderline broken UU even in the absence of bugs. It's not fast, but most maps have accessible coast and 36 combat strength is, pure and simple, unbeatable until the Industrial era. As Korea you won't often want to play a strategy where you capture capitals in two hits, but it's nice to know you can if you want to.

Samurai: Frightening as an AI unit with Bushido - but a unit I never want to receive from a CS as anyone else, since without Bushido it's just a longsword with a mediocre promotion.

I guess you could say the Turtle Ship is Battering Ram of the sea.

Samurai: Frightening as an AI unit with Bushido - but a unit I never want to receive from a CS as anyone else, since without Bushido it's just a longsword with a mediocre promotion.

Is this a recent Gods and Kings gameplay change? That is, allied Militaristic City States can gift you the UUs of OTHER civilizations?

Wow. The closest that Vanilla came to that was a Militaristic City state giving me Immortals when I was Darius, ha. Well, that and receiving Khans from any City State once I had finished Patronage. :p

Guys, where is my Janissary upvote? I didn't see it being upvoted or downvoted, so it should be 21. Please, attention :(

Is this a recent Gods and Kings gameplay change? That is, allied Militaristic City States can gift you the UUs of OTHER civilizations?

Wow. The closest that Vanilla came to that was a Militaristic City state giving me Immortals when I was Darius, ha. Well, that and receiving Khans from any City State once I had finished Patronage. :p

Yep, if you hover over a militaristic CS in the espionage screen it will tell you what civ's UU it will gift to its allies. I'm not sure if it is random or set so that certain CSs always get the same UU to gift though.

edit: @ Above, yeah the jannissary vote went missing along with a few others in post #16. Though I myself havn't followed this thread very well, and fear I would just make the corrections worse :p so if someone else could do it that would be wonderful :rolleyes:

Minutemen 20
B17 20
Camel Archer 20
Hussar 20
Jaguar 20
Bowmen 20
Quinquereme 20
Pictish Warrior 20
Chu-Ko-Nu 21
Berserker 20
War Chariot 18
Longbowman 23
Ship of the Line 20
Mehal Sefari 20
Musketeer 20
Foreign Legion 20
Landsknecht 21
Panzer 20
Hoplite 20
Companion Cavalry 20
Horse Archer 20
Battering Ram 20
Slinger 18
War Elephant 21
Mohawk Warrior 20
Samurai 18
Zero 8
Turtle Ship 21
Hwach'a 19
Atlatist 20
Keshik 22
Sea Beggar 20
Janissary 20
Sipahi 20
Immortal 20
Maori Warrior 20
Legion 20
Ballista 20
Cossack 20
Naresuan's Elephant 20
Mandekalu Cavalry 20
Tercio 20
Conquistador 20
Hakkapeliitta 18
Carolean 20

Sorry zero you just aren't good. all you get is an interception bonus and bombers are much more useful then fighters.

Keshiks are really fun the get tons of movement so you can shoot pillage and runaway all in one turn. Also the promotion bonus is great. The only problem is upgrading to calvary means you lose all the promotions you used to have.

Guys, where is my Janissary upvote? I didn't see it being upvoted or downvoted, so it should be 21. Please, attention :(

True.

Minutemen 20
B17 20
Camel Archer 20
Hussar 20
Jaguar 20
Bowmen 20
Quinquereme 20
Pictish Warrior 20
Chu-Ko-Nu 21
Berserker 20
War Chariot 18
Longbowman 23
Ship of the Line 20
Mehal Sefari 20
Musketeer 20
Foreign Legion 20
Landsknecht 21
Panzer 20
Hoplite 20
Companion Cavalry 20
Horse Archer 20
Battering Ram 20
Slinger 18
War Elephant 21
Mohawk Warrior 20
Samurai 18
Zero 8
Turtle Ship 21
Hwach'a 19
Atlatist 20
Keshik 22
Sea Beggar 20
Janissary 21
Sipahi 20
Immortal 20
Maori Warrior 20
Legion 20
Ballista 20
Cossack 20
Naresuan's Elephant 20
Mandekalu Cavalry 20
Tercio 20
Conquistador 20
Hakkapeliitta 18
Carolean 20

Minutemen 20
B17 20
Camel Archer 20
Hussar 20
Jaguar 20
Bowmen 20
Quinquereme 20
Pictish Warrior 20
Chu-Ko-Nu 21
Berserker 20
War Chariot 18
Longbowman 23
Ship of the Line 20
Mehal Sefari 20
Musketeer 20
Foreign Legion 20
Landsknecht 21
Panzer 20
Hoplite 20
Companion Cavalry 20
Horse Archer 20
Battering Ram 20
Slinger 18
War Elephant 21
Mohawk Warrior 20
Samurai 18
Zero 6 (-2)
Turtle Ship 21
Hwach'a 19
Atlatist 20
Keshik 22
Sea Beggar 21 (+1)
Janissary 21
Sipahi 20
Immortal 20
Maori Warrior 20
Legion 20
Ballista 20
Cossack 20
Naresuan's Elephant 20
Mandekalu Cavalry 20
Tercio 20
Conquistador 20
Hakkapeliitta 18
Carolean 20

As many have already said, why do we need a super fighter when nobody really builds fighters anyway? Sorry Zero, you're not my hero.

Sea Beggars, on the other hand? A Privateer with Coastal Raider 2 and Supply? Yes please. When I play as the Dutch, I can ignore my navy until navigation, build 2-3 Sea Beggars, and rule the waves for the rest of the game.

Somewhere between posts 8 and 9 Petiscator's Janissary vote got lost. I've added it back ;)

There are several changes to militaristic CSes. They always could give you UUs of other civs in vanilla, although it happened at random. In Gods & Kings, each militaristic CS knows the "secret" of one UU from a civ not in the game, and when you reach the appropriate tech (another change - CSes will now consistently give you tech-appropriate units, usually the highest-tech unit you can build, or its UU equivalent if they know that secret. No more archers when everyone's using mech inf), they'll grant that unit.

A lot can be said for the relative value of different UUs when you look at a militaristic CS to find it knows the secrets of the Samurai or the Panzer (damn, that sucks) or the Hwach'a (yay!).

if you hover over a militaristic CS in the espionage screen

Or over the word "militaristic" in the city-state screen itself.

It's random to some degree - I've seen more UU gift types than there are militaristic CSes, and the same CS will give different units in different games. But some UUs seem to come up more than others - the Panzer, sadly, is one of these. As far as I can tell, militaristic CSes will only ever give you land units, so UU ships, B-17s and Zeros won't ever be gifted.

Sorry zero you just aren't good. all you get is an interception bonus and bombers are much more useful then fighters.

I've never played Japan so never used the Zero, but I don't know why there's so much dislike for fighters. I hate being bombed, or having a dozen AI aircraft hit my units, and I always build fighters for air defence (SAMs seem very limited). The Zero should get points for at least being a UU that replaces a unit no other UU does. And I'd rather a fighter UU than a Chariot Archer UU.

Minutemen 20
B17 20
Camel Archer 20
Hussar 20
Jaguar 20
Bowmen 20
Quinquereme 20
Pictish Warrior 20
Chu-Ko-Nu 21
Berserker 20
War Chariot 18
Longbowman 23
Ship of the Line 20
Mehal Sefari 20
Musketeer 20
Foreign Legion 20
Landsknecht 21
Panzer 20
Hoplite 20
Companion Cavalry 20
Horse Archer 20
Battering Ram 20
Slinger 16
War Elephant 21
Mohawk Warrior 20
Samurai 18
Zero 6
Turtle Ship 21
Hwach'a 19
Atlatist 20
Keshik 22
Sea Beggar 21
Janissary 22
Sipahi 20
Immortal 20
Maori Warrior 20
Legion 20
Ballista 20
Cossack 20
Naresuan's Elephant 20
Mandekalu Cavalry 20
Tercio 20
Conquistador 20
Hakkapeliitta 18
Carolean 20

Janissaries are a longtime favorite of mine. They used to be the only reason to play the Ottomans, but now they make the Ottomans one of my favorite Civs to play as.

Slingers however absolutely infuriate me. They are the only thing I dislike about the Inca.

Militaristic CS's have their UU set when the game is created and it's always a UU from one of the civs that is not in the game.

It was in when I made my vote and corrected all the mistakes up to that point.

There are several changes to militaristic CSes. They always could give you UUs of other civs in vanilla, although it happened at random. In Gods & Kings, each militaristic CS knows the "secret" of one UU from a civ not in the game, and when you reach the appropriate tech (another change - CSes will now consistently give you tech-appropriate units, usually the highest-tech unit you can build, or its UU equivalent if they know that secret. No more archers when everyone's using mech inf), they'll grant that unit.

A lot can be said for the relative value of different UUs when you look at a militaristic CS to find it knows the secrets of the Samurai or the Panzer (damn, that sucks) or the Hwach'a (yay!).

Or over the word "militaristic" in the city-state screen itself.

It's random to some degree - I've seen more UU gift types than there are militaristic CSes, and the same CS will give different units in different games. But some UUs seem to come up more than others - the Panzer, sadly, is one of these. As far as I can tell, militaristic CSes will only ever give you land units, so UU ships, B-17s and Zeros won't ever be gifted.

I've never played Japan so never used the Zero, but I don't know why there's so much dislike for fighters. I hate being bombed, or having a dozen AI aircraft hit my units, and I always build fighters for air defence (SAMs seem very limited). The Zero should get points for at least being a UU that replaces a unit no other UU does. And I'd rather a fighter UU than a Chariot Archer UU.

If you want to defend against air units build anti aircraft guns instead.

:: shrugs ::

I'm guessing that air defense is much more of an issue in multi player games than they are in single player games...or perhaps I need to move up in difficulty, ha.

:: shrugs ::

I'm guessing that air defense is much more of an issue in multi player games than they are in single player games...or perhaps I need to move up in difficulty, ha.

I've hardly ever reached the Modern Era in multiplayer since my group has a habit of stopping a session and starting a new game in the next... This is mostly single-player experience; AIs spam air - often fighters of their own, but in sufficient quantity to kill units, but the AI has become better at using bombers. I've had games where I've wiped out enemy ground forces but can't deal the killing blow to the cities because enemy air superiority ensures that melee units die before they can launch their attacks; or I have a naval or artillery siege broken by having units destroyed or forced to withdraw. And of course once air power comes into play tactical attempts to save damaged units become completely ineffective, since the AI prioritises damaged units to hit with its long-ranged aircraft. In all of those cases I need fighters to regain air superiority, and they do the job well.

SAMs don't obviously do more damage than fighters, like fighters it's one intercept per SAM per turn (and can they get the double intercept promotion?) and have a much smaller area of effect. Also from recollection a bomber hit by an SAM will complete its attack run and do full damage to its original target; one hit by a fighter will do much reduced damage. SAMs are also much more vulnerable to attack, and don't trigger against air attacks that target the AA unit itself. They're better against units and cities, but they're actually pretty bad for AA.

Minutemen 20
B17 20
Camel Archer 20
Hussar 20
Jaguar 20
Bowmen 20
Quinquereme 20
Pictish Warrior 20
Chu-Ko-Nu 21
Berserker 20
War Chariot 18
Longbowman 23
Ship of the Line 20
Mehal Sefari 20
Musketeer 20
Foreign Legion 20
Landsknecht 21
Panzer 20
Hoplite 20
Companion Cavalry 20
Horse Archer 20
Battering Ram 20
Slinger 19
War Elephant 21
Mohawk Warrior 20
Samurai 20
Zero 10
Turtle Ship 20
Hwach'a 19
Atlatist 20
Keshik 20
Sea Beggar 20
Janissary 20
Sipahi 20
Immortal 20
Maori Warrior 18
Legion 20
Ballista 20
Cossack 20
Naresuan's Elephant 20
Mandekalu Cavalry 20
Tercio 20
Conquistador 20
Hakkapeliitta 18
Carolean 20

Slinger: Great early game defence.
Maori: Meh, not really great imho.

Minutemen 20
B17 20
Camel Archer 20
Hussar 20
Jaguar 20
Bowmen 20
Quinquereme 20
Pictish Warrior 20
Chu-Ko-Nu 21
Berserker 20
War Chariot 18
Longbowman 23
Ship of the Line 20
Mehal Sefari 20
Musketeer 20
Foreign Legion 20
Landsknecht 21
Panzer 20
Hoplite 20
Companion Cavalry 20
Horse Archer 20
Battering Ram 20
Slinger 19
War Elephant 21
Mohawk Warrior 21
Samurai 20
Zero 8
Turtle Ship 20
Hwach'a 19
Atlatist 20
Keshik 20
Sea Beggar 20
Janissary 20
Sipahi 20
Immortal 20
Maori Warrior 16
Legion 20
Ballista 20
Cossack 20
Naresuan's Elephant 20
Mandekalu Cavalry 20
Tercio 20
Conquistador 20
Hakkapeliitta 18
Carolean 20

Mohawks are great, especially in multiplayer when I don't have time to find and hook up that iron before my friends attack.

As other's have said, the zero is useless. I rarely build fighter as is and have only ever built a zero in order to get the achievement for building all units.

Top Bottom