Unit hit points

1-800-DOCTORB

Chieftain
I was toying with the idea of doubling all hit points for units to lower the odds of ancient units beating modern units. Because of this, it was necessary to double all rates of fire for artillery weapons as well to keep in sync. The only problem I encountered with this is that your opponents turns take twice as long, especially if everyone is warring with each other like they are in my current game. For those out there who have really fast computers, I think this is the perfect solution to the spearman beats tank syndrome.

That one`s been out there since like the Stone Age of CivIII..... though I recommend trippling. That works very well! :D

For the time delay: turn off "animate battles" - then you just have to watch closely who wins....

I think a better idea would be making the counterattack strength dependent on how many hitpoints the defender still has. Sort of like in the Gameboy Advance game Advance Wars.

that would be a nice one, but:

what about a battleship fighting a submarine. No chance for the BB to hit, unless the sub`s at the surface. Then 1 hit will kill it, no matter how badly the BB is hurt (as long as it has a 5`` gun left, that is). So this suggestion of your would mean that fighting abilities of every unit would have to change according to what kind of opponent it has - that`s something that would make CivIII just too complex and big - but I hope it will come one day ! :)

I'd like all units to fight less effectively when seriously damaged, particularly when down to a single HP.

For instance, just last night, I lost five straight bowmen (I'm Babylon) to a spearman. That I can live with but the last two guys I lost were when the spearman had one HP left. He even took the last guy to one HP.

When they are down to a single HP they should have almost no chance against a fresh unit (divide attack/defense by two or something.)

It would if it happened more often. I find my one HP spearman might take out an archer... sometimes.

What's worse, and I wonder if anyone else has seen this, is when my spearman (or whatever) is being attacked by a stack. He'll successfully defend, get promoted to elite and then lose the next battle (against the same type of unit) without costing the attacking unit even one HP. I've seen this a number of times, promotion equals instant death at the hands of the next, sometimes inferior, attacker.

Originally posted by Jason Fox
It would if it happened more often. I find my one HP spearman might take out an archer... sometimes.

What's worse, and I wonder if anyone else has seen this, is when my spearman (or whatever) is being attacked by a stack. He'll successfully defend, get promoted to elite and then lose the next battle (against the same type of unit) without costing the attacking unit even one HP. I've seen this a number of times, promotion equals instant death at the hands of the next, sometimes inferior, attacker.

Hmm... You're reading way too much in to this. The random variables (in this case, combat results) are independent, and the patterns of results you are seeing are common statistical variation. For example, in basketball, the announcers often will say something like "Yikes, Iverson's hot!" In reality, large scale studies of basketball game records have shown that the percentage of making a shot after missing 3 buckets in a row and the percentage of making a shot after making 3 buckets in a row is the same for each player. Note however that there will always be local variation with small sample sizes (i.e. in an individual game).

- Windwalker

Top Bottom