Unit names

Bobby Lee

Confederate General
im not certain this is the right place for this but here goes:

I was thinking that if we have provinces and such and the governors are in charge of what thier provinces build then they should also be able to name all military units that are produced in thier province. Governors of course should ask the residents of thier province what to name each unit but as a basic rule the Governor would name every unit according to this format until it became an Elite.

<number> <province> <basic name of unit (i.e. swordsman)>

Once a unit became an elite the Governor should then post a poll on what special name to put on a unit using names out of a previously recommended pool of names from the citizens of the province (no more than 3 at a time i would think). The citizens then vote and the name of the unit is changed to this format.

<number> <province> <basic name of unit> <name of unit in quotes>

So an example would like this:

The province of Zarnia constructed a Rifleman unit. Upon it's creation the Governor of Zarnia has it named '6th Zarnia Rifles' but then 3 turns later it becomes an Elite unit due to combat. The Governor then asks the people to choose from 3 names he selected from the pool to name this unit. The people choose the name Wildcats so the name of the Rifleman unit is now 6th Zarnia Rifles "Wildcats"

Perhaps if the Governor foresees that a unit is going to become an Elite he can post a few polls in advance so that he has an ordered list for nameing the province units.

What does everyone think?

Unfortunately, in Vanilla Civ we can't name our units. Although we do name elites that become Great Leaders. This is usually done by the DP asking for suggestions (or giving them) from/to the T/C attendees.

bah, i feel ever so slightly stupid now

thanks for the info though

Please don't feel that way. Countless others have asked the same question here. :)

MSTK said:
I've always wondered why we don't play DemoGame in COnquests. Is it about the DP's playability or something?
well we had polls on that, and we did have a pretty good conquest support but the mods ruled that we had to do vanilla for this dg

Black_Hole said:
well we had polls on that, and we did have a pretty good conquest support but the mods ruled that we had to do vanilla for this dg

Sounds so undemocratic! :mischief:

So we do have a House of Lords. ;)

msz4 said:
HAHAHAHA :lol:
Look out Comnenus. Saying that you can lose your citizen rights :lol:

Oh, I'm quite aware there may be some people out there who are a bit touchy on this subject, but I'm sure that in a democracy we can all vent, ...er voice, our opinions.

i would ask for a revolution, i dont like nobility...but i suppose that it would be difficult to hide the cannons in the barn and drill on the town green here wouldnt it...oh well, perhaps it can continue to be lobbied for in the future...

Cyc said:
Unfortunately, in Vanilla Civ we can't name our units. Although we do name elites that become Great Leaders. This is usually done by the DP asking for suggestions (or giving them) from/to the T/C attendees.

I don't play Vanilla as an individual anymore (or PTW). It's only Conquests for me (modded). When I was reading this thread, I forgot vanilla doesn't allow unit renaming.

*sigh* :(

The 6th Zarnia Rifles "Wildcats" will never exist. :cry:

Maybe it uses Vanilla Civ to protect those unfortunates like me who don't have PTW or Conquests. Poor poor me..... Literally poor though, I have no money haha.

im not quite sure how it protects anyone really, you just can't have sumone who doesnt have the expansions be the designated player, not really that much of a problem the way i understand the system works...and if it is could we not start a collection plate to send that person a copy of PTW and Conquests? if everyone pitched in $1 it would be pretty close to enough if not enough...and inevitibly someone just puts a $20 in the plate....

oh well, i was looking forward to 1st Zarnia Armor "Blackhorse"

exactly...

Yeah but I'm assuming there are quite a few differences in the Conquest and Play The World games than in Vanilla Civ so it would be a little bit more difficult to be a part, I didn't even know you could rename units in any of the expansions. But I don't really know, I'm new to the DemoGame.

The core gameplay is still the same. I personally just play Conquests now since vanilla Civ is too.... boring.

conquests is much better, the added stuff is more than worth it...just the added civs alone are worth it, and the nameing thing is much greatness

Bobby Lee said:
conquests is much better, the added stuff is more than worth it...just the added civs alone are worth it, and the nameing thing is much greatness

That's disputable... more Civs with same traits and a little different UU... maybe. But the other features like stealth attack and a folder for each mod is great.

Top Bottom