• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

Unit responses

Esmer

Chieftain
Just a minor question, but do your units respond in their native language (à la Civ IV) when clicked upon or do they give generic grunts and motor sounds, like in Civ 3? I personally think the Civ IV way was the most appealing so far.

I dunno. I found too many talking units to be an annoyance, TBH.

Unless I was playing something like Starcraft or an RTS that made it necessary for me to know I've selected the right unit every single time, I wonder why people would like it.

Adds to the flavor and makes the factions "feel" more different.

From what I've seen of the game, it seems to be non-faction specific mechanical sounds.

I found the voicework in Civ 4 to be pretty annoying actually. As a Dutchmen I can tell you that real Dutch is very different from Civ 4's stupid google translate sentences.:rolleyes:

Apparently it depended on the language, you could clearly tell that they hired native speakers for the Germans and the Greeks. Other nations didn't have such luck.

They didn't even bother to make unique city graphics for each faction, so bad luck hoping for such features.

As far as I remember both Civ 4 and 5 had city graphics for cultural groups, at least in the earlier eras. Rome and Greece were the same, but different from China or even Germany.

Civ 2 had four groups: Mesopotamian, Mediterranean, Far East, Central Europe

Civ 4 had five groups: Mesopotamian, Mediterranean, Far East, Central Europe, Native American.

SMAC had unique city graphics for every faction.

Not sure how things were with Civ 3 and 5.

Civ 2 had four groups: Mesopotamian, Mediterranean, Far East, Central Europe

Civ 4 had five groups: Mesopotamian, Mediterranean, Far East, Central Europe, Native American.

SMAC had unique city graphics for every faction.

Not sure how things were with Civ 3 and 5.

In Civ5 you have even more than in Civ4 I think, not really sure though! At least the same count.

And now we only get default and 3 affinities. Which is a bit lame. Should have at least minor differences.

In Civ5 you have even more than in Civ4 I think, not really sure though! At least the same count.

And now we only get default and 3 affinities. Which is a bit lame. Should have at least minor differences.
There are also blended city graphics for multi-affinity. If a faction is 10 supremacy, 6 purity that will show in the city graphics.

Different city graphics made sense for historical civ games because different cultures had different architectural styles. In the modern era everyone has the same architectural styles, and I don't see why it would be different in BE. Especially considering that affinity-neutral cities are meant to look pragmatic and cobbled together.

Edit: By the way, is anyone else bothered by how cities change style instantly when captured in civ5?

Different city graphics made sense for historical civ games because different cultures had different architectural styles. In the modern era everyone has the same architectural styles, and I don't see why it would be different in BE. Especially considering that affinity-neutral cities are meant to look pragmatic and cobbled together.

But still, even if you compare the equally pragmatic design of Russian and American spacecraft and naut suits (or alternatively, weapon and aircraft design) you can tell there are aesthetic differences. Factions feel more unique the more unique they look.

Edit: By the way, is anyone else bothered by how cities change style instantly when captured in civ5?

Same thing in Civ2, capturing a medieval city with tanks meant instant skyscrapers.
In SMAC, the captured city kept the graphics of its mother faction until it grew into the next size model, which I think was a good solution.

But still, even if you compare the equally pragmatic design of Russian and American spacecraft and naut suits (or alternatively, weapon and aircraft design) you can tell there are aesthetic differences. Factions feel more unique the more unique they look.

Same thing in Civ2, capturing a medieval city with tanks meant instant skyscrapers.
In SMAC, the captured city kept the graphics of its mother faction until it grew into the next size model, which I think was a good solution.

What I'd like to see as a solution is for every city to have its Own affinity levels. (affecting not only graphics but what the buildings are active/can be built in the city)

Over time the city's affinity levels would conform to that of the owning faction (unless they were a puppet)

*check the affinity part of my sig for more details.

Top Bottom