Unit System

FiresForever

Prince
I have been working on a new unit system, so far this is how it stands:

We have three different classes of building in each era:
Code:
Standard housing (normal building)
Improved housing (national wonder)
Special building (building that requires the national wonder in city to build)

The following new strategic resources will be produced by the above buildings:

Code:
Unskilled Labor: Workers, defensive buildings and Basic Level units
Skilled Labor: Advanced Level Units
Professionals: Hero Level units

Unskilled Labor is relatively easy to gain, professionals will require a lot of investment in your cities. This should make it so that tall empires will be more likely to be using small numbers of stronger units, with wide empires leaning towards weaker but larger armies.

There will also be some different types of strategic resources that are generated by the relevant buildings, eg. religious buildings will produce:

Code:
Holy Men: used to produce some kind of support type units

Graphically I am thinking that the basic level units would be the base civ 5 unit graphics, with the advanced and hero lvl being from some of those great units on the forum.

I have a bit of the code written and have been testing it out on the ai to see how it handles it and so far it seems to be doing good, there were even a few times where the ai killed my civ while doing auto turns :), if anything it would just require a bit of tweaking of the building flavors here and there.

Sounds really good. I like the idea for the tall vs large empires conflict.

Since this involves a massive amount of work on the unit tables I am moving them all over to sql, so we can say goodbye to xml for the units which should make everything a lot easier to manage.

Top Bottom