Unit Upgrades As Tech

HandyVac

Gentleman
The shire where the oxen cross the river. UK.
I am fond of the non-linear techweb in BE, which allows you to beeline for different buildings under different circumstances, but that same techweb feels oddly disconnected from the progress of your military units, which all upgrade in a strictly linear fashion as you increase your affinity score.

With this mod, units no longer upgrade from gaining affinity. Instead, specific technologies upgrade specific units when researched.

Spoiler :

Since there are multiple techs that upgrade each unit, I've removed the choice of two perks the players usually presented with when levelling up, and instead attached a different perk to each tech. When you research that tech, that unit gains one level and the stated perk (unless the unit's already at it's maximum level, in which case nothing happens)

Spoiler :

The intention is to create an assymetric battlefield by letting different civs improve their militaries in different ways, e.g. one might have super-strong infantry but no naval power to speak of, while another might have the best airforce around but weak ground troops.

The current build is playable as-is, but still a work in progress, so feedback and opinions will be appreciated. On my To Do list are:
- a modified version of the Unit Upgrade panel, listing the techs that will upgrade each unit.
- some coding for the AI to persuade it to beeline unit-upgrading techs, especially when it's at war.

DOWNLOAD FROM CIVFANATICS

Attachments

• UUATTechweb.jpg
    UUATTechweb.jpg
    403.2 KB · Views: 992
  • UUATNotif.jpg
    UUATNotif.jpg
    443.6 KB · Views: 979
Such a great idea. :D Will definitely give it a try after the Easter holidays. :twitch:

Top Bottom