Units still attacking units in fog of war through move command

homan1983

King
Link

time = 16m42s

The knight is told to move 2 squares into a fog of war and it attacks the enemy scout without asking the player.

:hammer2::hammer2::hammer2::hammer2:

:nope::scared::scared::scared:

edit2: fixed video link

Last edited:
Unfortunate, but if the point of this thread is to call attention to a specific bug, you're not notifying the right people.

It'd be more productive if you sent an email to the devs, or waited till Friday to file an actual bug report if this issue is still present in the release version.

Link

time = 16m42s

The knight is told to move 2 squares into a fog of war and it attacks the enemy scout without asking the player.

:hammer2::hammer2::hammer2::hammer2:

:nope::scared::scared::scared:

edit2: fixed video link

I'm unclear what the problem is. It was told to go to that tile, so it went to that tile. That the player was dumb and moved where they couldn't see was user error.

It isn't like it auto-declared war on someone with the move.

The same behavior is found in CiV. Not an error I think.

Indeed, a unit on auto-move in Civ III would auto declare war on subs that weren't visible that they bumped into. (And in Conquests scenario Assassins.)

In this case, it's a scout of someone you are at war with; if you are worried that attacking a mere scout would cause too much damage to a Knight it had no business advancing anyway.

One would think they could display the move normally but cancel the remaining moves when the enemy occupying your path becomes visible.

I'm positive I saw some early build devplays where moving a scout 3 spaces through fog of war, and the 2nd move showed barbarians, resulted in a stop-move on the scout. The dev could change the last move.

Now, in war... it'd certainly be helpful to have a similar mechanic, but I "think" the solved the barb issue already, which was most annoying in BNW if you moved too fast.

I have no problem with this. If you barrel into unknown territory without looking you may get into an unwanted fight. If you want to be careful about this, then move a hex at a time. I've seen so many moves in the let's plays' where if the player had moved one hex at a time, he would have done something different on his second hex move. If you hurry, you occasionally pay the price.

I have no problem with this. If you barrel into unknown territory without looking you may get into an unwanted fight. If you want to be careful about this, then move a hex at a time. I've seen so many moves in the let's plays' where if the player had moved one hex at a time, he would have done something different on his second hex move. If you hurry, you occasionally pay the price.

Disagree. Especially with the unti cycling UI problem, this can lead to problems.

I'd rather my units stop their orders and wake up when they see some trouble, rather than being dumb and simply forging ahead. Having to move one tile at a time was finally solved with the goto command and pathing in CivIII, so it should work WITH the player not against.

Impetuous tactical commanders are expected to mess up the strategic command (in Civ5 I extended the range of combat results to provide more variation). I don't know how happy I will be with stumbling into an unanticipated combat in the game.

Also, there is a ranger promotion making the unit invisible until you are adjacent, so the situation may occur more often than we anticipate. Surprise!

Actually I would prefer ALL units in woods or hills to not be seen from 2-3 hexes away.

Surprising there's some anti-player sentiment in this thread. I don't feel like an attack should be executed unless a player specifically clicks on the enemy unit while its visible. It's nothing but a trap for inexperienced players, or players who get a bit lazy because 1UPT movement can get somewhat tedious when shuffling large amounts of units around.

So I'll go with "unfortunate that they couldn't be bothered to change this". In this case, they should cancel the rest of the move and allow the player to see the unit in question.

One would think they could display the move normally but cancel the remaining moves when the enemy occupying your path becomes visible.
One would think this would require a more complex pathfinding algorithm. This algorithm is called so often that it probably accounts to 90-95% of the computing cycles used by the game.
I'd sure love to have units stop whenever they would attack something unseen, but if the trade of is 2* longer turns, i'd rather learn to not send units into the FoW and move them one tile at a time.
I might be wrong on this thought, you're the one who edited the dll for Ea mod so you might know better.

I'm positive I saw some early build devplays where moving a scout 3 spaces through fog of war, and the 2nd move showed barbarians, resulted in a stop-move on the scout. The dev could change the last move.

Could it be the one where they were talking about auto exploration? I remember that they said the auto-exploring units will abort their order the instant they reveal a barbarian.

Could it be the one where they were talking about auto exploration? I remember that they said the auto-exploring units will abort their order the instant they reveal a barbarian.

From the videos I've seen on the press preview build, that's extremely dubious. What I see is consistent with at the beginning? end? of a turn if the auto-exploring unit sees a barb that it's order gets cancelled but there's no check while it's moving.

It's so sad to see people attacking players behaviour for something that should be fixed by the developers.

Yep, that's surely need fixing.

This isn't a path-finding problem. It's a move problem. Path-finding is used only when you direct a unit to go hither and explore.
The moving only happens when the unit actually moved. Then it checks if the next tile is a mountain, water or occupied.
Currently a visible route that is later blocked by a unit (civilian, barbarian or fighter) will cause your move to be interrupted.
Same for an auto-exploring scout when he gets near the zone of control of a barbarian brute. This is a Civ6 new feature.
If you send a unit into the fog he won't suddenly climb mountains and he won't drown if you sent him into the ocean.
So it should likewise be possible to stop the movement when the fog clears and there is a unit (which actually may not have been there when you directed the unit in the first place).
This won't cost a significant processing. It should be part of the standard move checks.

Top Bottom