1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Use bicycle helmets!!!

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by AL_DA_GREAT, Apr 27, 2006.

1. shadow2k

shadow2k Emperor

I can twist stats to say whatever I want. Some insane lady called up a local radio show yesterday, using stats to prove it was more dangerous for a 16-21yr old kid in America to drive a car, than it would be to serve in Iraq. Of course, she completely ignore the ratio aspect of it. But the point stands, I can use numbers to say about anything I'd like.

How many lives would be saved per year if we required fully enclosed helmets to drive a car? Or heck, how about full padding? Would you support that bill in your state?

How about the 1,000's of people that die each year from drowning? No more going into bodies of water deeper than 1ft. So all bathtubs are now outlawed, you can only take showers. But you have to wear spiked shoes with a dirt floor, so there's no slipping. Or maybe you should just wear a helmet in the shower?

People's lives are their OWN. As long as they aren't screwing with you, stop trying to screw with them.

2. EolTheDarkElf

EolTheDarkElf Suspended animation

What you say doesn't make sense. There is an unreasonable discomfort to risks avoided ratio.

I see your out for a quarrel though. Not with me. HF.

(and just BTW, I was joking, I thought the :crazyeye: would give a hint, but apparently not)

3. shadow2k

shadow2k Emperor

Read right through it, was only half paying attention.

And yes, of course it doesn't make sense. But it's the same general idea. Where do you draw the line? (rhetorical) ;)

4. Perfection

Perfection The Great Head.

There's no need for bike helmets when you have training wheels. :smug:

On an somewhat related note:
    Are bicycle helmets unicycle compatable?

5. Raisin Bran

Raisin Bran Cereal Killer

all Im going to add is ..... If you have a bycicle in Montreal ... wear a helmet Montrealers are known for their I-dont-care-about-cyclists attitude while driving.
    This is why I bought a car.

More on me ! I had a accident where a car hit me when I was riding a bike, I was lucky I had nothing. I did not wear a helmet. The police told my mom that I was made out of concrete because they seen others die for less than what hapenned to me.
    I have a Kid now, I never wore a helmet but if I go on a bike with my kid Ill wear one to give him the good example.

In my opinion ..... If you don't want to wear a helmet ... don't, but don't come here crying (or dying)! :D

6. MjM

MjM Deity

Its law here. I never do it, ******** law. Ive got fined once, which sucks even more.

7. Babbler

Babbler Deity

Yes, expect for unicycle hockey. You need a hocket helment for that (no vistors; only sissy Frenchmen and Europeans need them...).

8. Babbler

Babbler Deity

Accidents happen, even in the safest of conditions.

9. Valdy.com

Valdy.com Hen features

I had an accident last year and cracked my head pretty hard, and yet I still don't wear a helmet, despite still cyclin over an hour everyday. I'm an idiot. I intend to buy one very soon though, despite them being possibly the uncoolest things to wear in the history of wearable things.

10. shadow2k

shadow2k Emperor

I JUST had a house fire on Feb 28th. Fire alarm saved my life, no doubt about it. But I still wouldn't wear a fire alarm on my head. :)

11. aaglo

aaglo Furioso!

That would be a reasonable thing to do... :lol:

12. Mr. Blonde

Mr. Blonde Dr. techn.

My mother works as a physical therapist and when I was a kid I once joined her to a patient because we went shopping afterwards.

It was a man suffering from the long term effects of a brain trauma after he crashed with his bike. He could basically only ly in bed, had spastic muscles and could not speak properly. His mind was not affected that severely (not like the Shiavo case that was in the media half a year ago). He still exists that way 15 years after the accident.

Needless to say that I only bike with helmed since then.

13. AL_DA_GREAT

AL_DA_GREAT amour absinthe révolution

Ok some people seem to see the risks with bicycling and some don't (like me before I got bashed up). IT'll be hard to change this unfortunatly. The people arguing against wearing helmets are not wanting to admit that they an get hurt.

14. kingjoshi

kingjoshi King

If you don't look cool with a helmet on, you probably don't look cool to begin with!

It's likely people complaining about the aesthetics of glasses. I look good with or without a helmet :cool:

15. AL_DA_GREAT

thats the spirit!!!

16. Stylesjl

Stylesjl SOS Brigade Member

Its illegal here not to wear a helmet. People complained but then they just sat down and shutted up.

17. AL_DA_GREAT

In Sweden it is illegal not to wear one if you are under 16. I just said screw the law and it screwed me!

18. Leifmk

Leifmk Deity

Bike malfunctions somehow (e.g. the brakes suddenly seize).

Front wheel hits small and difficult-to-spot obstruction such as a rock or a patch of loose gravel or a hole, bike goes sideways, you continue moving forward and have to shed your velocity by friction between the road and your own skin.

Someone else, whether a pedestrian or a motorist or another bicyclist, acts like a total idiot and causes a situation where no reaction on your part can prevent a crash or a fall (this one is a biggie, as there are many idiots in the world and most of them are allowed to roam freely).

19. Ren

Ren Communist Nazi

I'm all for the laws to be abolished. It's well within someone's right to go without if they want to IMO.

That said, I've never go cycling without a helmet, except for the few times where circumstances have prevented me from using one (IE didn't have one with me). I don't ride motorbikes but if I did it wouldn't be without a helmet. But that's my choice, yours is up to you.

I agree with EolTheDarkElf's comment below (sans crazyeye, of course)....

...unless you have private health cover which specifically covers such behaviour :)

20. AL_DA_GREAT

All I am saying is wear helmets so you won't get bashed up