Use bicycle helmets!!!

Went tandemming today, that is dodgy! Didn't wear a helmet, but it was a flat cycle path so it wasn't really nessecarily in my view.

AL_DA_GREAT said:
In Sweden it is illegal not to wear one if you are under 16. I just said screw the law and it screwed me!

It's actually if you're below fifteen and when you're below fifteen you can't get fined so the law does absolutely nothing.

The worst crash I had on my bicycle was caused by wet pavement and me going too fast. Fortunately, my helmet was not a factor in my safety. My gloves prevented me from losing a lot of skin on my hands. The gloves were destroyed, but all I had on my hands was a few bruises.

We planned to go biking in a very nice park this week-end. We brought our bikes and started to ride, when we were pulled over by a Park officer that told us we could not ride in this park without a helmet.
I did not know that in some places here (California), a helmet was mandatory.
Needless to say, I was really mad. So I can ride my bike without a helmet on a bike lane on an expressway were cars pass me at 40+MPH, but in a natural park where you have nothing but bikes and pedestrians I can't :confused:

Masquerouge said:
We planned to go biking in a very nice park this week-end. We brought our bikes and started to ride, when we were pulled over by a Park officer that told us we could not ride in this park without a helmet.
I did not know that in some places here (California), a helmet was mandatory.
Needless to say, I was really mad. So I can ride my bike without a helmet on a bike lane on an expressway were cars pass me at 40+MPH, but in a natural park where you have nothing but bikes and pedestrians I can't :confused:

Hmmm.
Let me say that I can understand the park officer and his decision to stop you.

When I lived in the Netherlands I didn't consider it necessary to wear a bike helmet and I still think it's not necessary to wear one there.

But here in Finland the situation is completely different. I really feel the need to wear one. Even if there are many bike lanes (although we have to share them with pedestrians. Why ? Because :

1) Pederstrians here don't care for bikers, they have the feeling that they can use the complete width of the bike lane without thinking/considering if there are bikers around.

2) Bad condition of the bike roads (partly due to the winter weather).

3) Crossing (with other bikelanes) which are difficult to survey.

Till now I have been able to prevent crashes/collisions. But I consider that more a matter of luck and I certainly don't want to count on that.
So I consider it necessary to wear a bike helmet.

I don't know the specific situations in American natural parks. But if they are comparable with the situations here in Finland, then I can certainly agree with the call of that park officer.

Thanks for your post, AVN. It's good to realise that the high Dutch standards are not to be taken for granted for less developed bike-countries. I'm going to change my "Never have and never will" to "Never have and never will in the Netherlands - but I might consider it in other countries".

AVN said:
Hmmm.
Let me say that I can understand the park officer and his decision to stop you.

I would have if we really were doing dangerous stuff like going downhills on a mountain bike. Heck, I would wear a helmet in that case, I'm not crazy.
But when I take a bike to go picknicking in a recreational area, and one of us has a 4-year-old kid behind him, I think it is pretty safe to assume we're not going to go full speed.
But now we are going to buy helmets siiiiigggghhhhh... :) I love biking more than I hate helmets ;)

When I was a kid (10 years old), my friends and I would go riding our bikes to a park. In one section, there was a hill and a couple of smaller hills below it. We'd do crazy jumps and stuff. Ah, being young and feeling invincible.

Actually, I was scared at first, but after you see so many kids do it, you begin to think it's very safe. Then you go home with bruises and get used to it. And my mom would yell at me for getting hurt. And then yell at me for bringing inside a bike that was extremely muddy. Ah, childhood.

Time for a :bump:

New research indicates that "Wearing helmets 'more dangerous' "

Cyclists who wear protective helmets are more likely to be knocked down by passing vehicles, new research from Bath University suggests. The study found drivers tend to pass closer when overtaking cyclists wearing helmets than those who are bare-headed.

So - I propose to change the title of this thread to "Don't use bicycle helmets!!! "

aaglo said:
For a moderator, you sure have some immature ideas... :p

The proper choise would be to change it to ban cars from roads with bicycles nearby...
That is one of the reasons the Netherlands has near 0 bicycle-car accidents. Seperated bicycle paths virtually everywhere.

I never wore a bike helmet. well, they weren't really popular when I was at school. I would use a helmet for downhill biking and similar though.

the 'look silly' argument is rapidly becoming obsolete though, since nowadays in switzerland nearly all kids wear bike helmets. so the once that are different (and hence silly) are the ones without helmets ;)

It is true that I gamble with my life everytime I hop on the back of my bike. Wore I that helmet or not. But I think it's better to wear it, since that helmet tends to become very handy in the moments you least expect it. I think there have been atleast on close call every week during this summer...

aaglo said:
It is true that I gamble with my life everytime I hop on the back of my bike. Wore I that helmet or not. But I think it's better to wear it, since that helmet tends to become very handy in the moments you least expect it. I think there have been atleast on close call every week during this summer...
The research indicates that the helmet invites car-drivers to make close calls. Without helmet: fewer close calls, but the ones that do happen are more risky. With helmet: more close calls, but not as risky. So the conclusion for Helmets or not should be: wear invisible helmets. :smug:

Top Bottom