Use bicycle helmets!!!

I live in Norway, the ice and snow has been a pain. I've "fallen" once this winter, or rather, my bike fell and I stayed upright, gliding along on my feet with one leg on each side of the bicycle.

Some people doesn't seem to understand, that a bicycle helmet may just well be a very cheap insurance. You really can take a tumble because of various reasons not caused directly by yourself:
- other bicyclists
- pedestrians
- cars
- something breaks badly on your bike when you're going 30 mph downhill

now, helmet may not protect your nose/chin/teeth, but it just isn't worth the risk of not wearing a helmet.

:hammer2: :old:

I haven't fallen off my bike since I was seven, what do I need a helmet for?

I don't even wear a motorcycle helmet. The only reason I own one is for passengers, or if I have to drive into Missouri where it's the law. I wrecked my 2nd motorcycle because of a helmet. I couldn't see the crazy old lady coming into my lane and running me off the highway at 75mph, because the helmet blocked my peripheral vision.

I hate the things. They're dangerous. ;)

aaglo said:
Some people doesn't seem to understand, that a bicycle helmet may just well be a very cheap insurance. You really can take a tumble because of various reasons not caused directly by yourself:
- other bicyclists
- pedestrians
- cars
- something breaks badly on your bike when you're going 30 mph downhill

Indeed. Although I've only crashed my bike once since I was 6, it involved two other bikes. I control-crashed mine to avoid a bigger crash with the other two. Wouldn't have been a problem if I was by myself or whatever else.

shadow2k said:
I haven't fallen off my bike since I was seven, what do I need a helmet for?

I don't even wear a motorcycle helmet. The only reason I own one is for passengers, or if I have to drive into Missouri where it's the law. I wrecked my 2nd motorcycle because of a helmet. I couldn't see the crazy old lady coming into my lane and running me off the highway at 75mph, because the helmet blocked my peripheral vision.

Most people have insurance measures that never get realised, seat belts, anti lock breaks, chasis cages. You may lie on a pavement your brains leaking from your head and wonder what exactly is the problem with cycle helmets at some point, you may not? Motrocycle helmets use is law in the UK, I don't see motorcyclists complaining.

shadow2k said:

Can't say I blame you, I think wearing a helmet defeats the purpose of having a motorcycle in the first place.

Sidhe said:
Most people have insurance measures that never get realised, seat belts, anti lock breaks, chasis cages. You may lie on a pavement your brains leaking from your head and wonder what exactly is the problem with cycle helmets at some point, you may not? Motrocycle helmets use is law in the UK, I don't see motorcyclists complaining.

Possible. I'll take my chances though, been doing it for the last ten years. I'm not going to live my life in fear of death. If I were scared of the possibility of a wreck, I wouldn't ride to begin with. I enjoy the wind blowing through my hair, the sun on my face, the freedom of not having to wear one.

A life lived in fear is not the life I want to live.

I use the helmet whenever I manage not to forget it.

If I look stupid to people, it's their problem, definitely not mine.

AL_DA_GREAT said:
just becuase you are wearing a helmet doesn't mean you are living in fear.

Not in the strictest sense, no. But they are worn to combat the fear of what would occur in a wreck if you didn't wear it. Like the comment about worrying that I might crack open my skull.

I like positive thinking instead. I'm not going to wreck, so it's not needed. :)

Don't get me wrong, I'm not making fun of anyone for wearing one. They can definitely save your life I suppose, even on a bicycle. Especially if you've got a history of falling off it.

I just don't like unecessary safety precautions that impede my enjoyment of the activity. And I'm a risk taker. I'll gamble my life that the risk of my pure enjoyment of the activity outweights the (what I consider to be) small odds of me getting seriously injured in a wreck.

But that's just me. To each his own...except that unfortunately, people are forced to wear them. Stupid laws addressing victimless "crimes".

shadow2k said:
But they are worn to combat the fear of what would occur in a wreck if you didn't wear it.

I would disagree and say they are worn to combat the effects of the wreck.

Fear is when you refuse to ride your bike just because you don't/can't have a helmet (for whatever reason).

On the other hand I agree that there should be no such laws. Each man should have the right to crack their skull open as they please. However, the issue gets a little touchy when tax-funded health care enters the picture. I would propose a much simpler law - if you crack your shull open on a bike while wearing no helmet that's all fine and dandy, only you have to pay for your treatment yourself :crazyeye:

EolTheDarkElf said:
I would disagree and say they are worn to combat the effects of the wreck.

Fear is when you refuse to ride your bike just because you don't/can't have a helmet (for whatever reason).

On the other hand I agree that there should be no such laws. Each man should have the right to crack their skull open as they please. However, the issue gets a little touchy when tax-funded health care enters the picture. I would propose a much simpler law - if you crack your shull open on a bike while wearing no helmet that's all fine and dandy, only you have to pay for your treatment yourself :crazyeye:

Not going to debate the fear vs safety. It's different for each person, and we could just twist words to say whatever.

As far as state funded health care, plenty of other dangerous things out there. By penalty of law:

Ice skaters should wear full padding.
Regular skaters too, for that matter.
Skateboarders as well.
Basketball players should all wear those cool faceguards! And knee braces.
Golfers should be required to wear helmets. And a jockstrap, just in case you know?
Driving your car will require a NASCAR approved helmet. If it says Jeff Gordon on it, you will be flogged publically.

Heck, everyone that ever leaves their house to do any sort of physical activity in which they move at more than a brisk walk shall henceforth be required, under penalty of law, to be in a protective bubble. And no touching each other outside of said bubble. Ever.

Interesting thing... that fear-thing.
There are two kinds: reasonable and unreasonable.

It is reasonable to fear of cracking your skull in a trafic accident, since they are not very uncommon... especially for someone who rides a bike every day for a couple of hours (that would be me - and many others). I remember reading that there were about 1000 head injuries related to bicycle accidents in Finland in the year 2005.

But it is unreasonable to fear of dying in a terrorist attack, since they are more than very rare. In the last decade, I think seven Finnish people died in one terrorist attack. Now that's less than 1 death per year related to terrorist attacks.

So, do the math: if it's 1000 times more likely to get in an accident which you know how to protect yourself a bit, than to get in a terrorist attack how you don't know how to protect yourself from... wouldn't it be a smart thing to do to wear a helmet (instead of buying a gasmask)? :)

Top Bottom