1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Dismiss Notice
  6. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

Use of Mods in GotM

Discussion in 'Civ6 - Game Of The Month' started by torsteinvh, Nov 30, 2016.

1. torsteinvh

torsteinvh Chieftain

What's the policy on UI mods?
    In my regular games I'm using CQUI and some custom hotkeys. Nothing that changes gameplay in any way, just makes the user interface more streamlined. I would really like to use these mods in the 6OTM games as well...

2. leif erikson

leif erikson Game of the Month Fanatic Administrator Supporter GOTM Staff

Currently, we are not allowing use of mods.

3. Knowtalent

Knowtalent Chieftain GOTM Staff

Can you post a link for that UI, Id like to look at it

4. torsteinvh

torsteinvh Chieftain

5. Lord Yanaek

Lord Yanaek Chieftain

I must say if we can have the same tolerance for some UI mods as Civ5 had for EUI i would really like it because the normal UI doesn't do a very good job at allowing us to manage a lot of cities (or trade routes). Sometimes feels like the developers decided the game was in need of some means of limiting ICS and an annoying UI was the best way to do it :spank:

comatosedragon likes this.
  6. leif erikson

7. torsteinvh

torsteinvh Chieftain

The CQUI mod seems to be maturing nicely, would be really nice to be able to use it in the 6otM games.
    Have the 6otM administrators had a change to consider this yet?

And thank you for the awesome job you do with the 6otM series. I will keep playing them mods or no mods :)

8. Knowtalent

I like the layout, but until any save can be used by it we cant use it in GotM.

9. ShinigamiKenji

ShinigamiKenji Chieftain

On the same vein as mods, will future GotM include DLC Civs?

I wish there was one featuring Poland, for example, for new ideas on such a versatile Civ.

10. leif erikson

We have used dlc in Civ5. Once Firaxis patches Civ6 so that dlc can be controlled/selected in the game's main menu, then we will consider it. I will not purchase dlc before that because managing it for GotM creation is a pain in the neck.

We also wait for STEAM sales so players can pick up the dlc and we exclude fewer people for a game.

ShinigamiKenji likes this.
  11. Knowtalent

They can be easily turned off and on in the Additional Content section of the main menu. I bought the digital delux version. All you do is deselect the content and make a GotM save. As to adding a new DLC civ as a playable Civ I think we should wait atleast 3 months so they will have been put on sale at least once. As we still have half of the civs to go thru a first run we have some time before the first of the DLC civs will work their way into the rotation.

12. comatosedragon

comatosedragon Chieftain

The newest patch (Autumn 2017) allows save games to be loaded with a mod. Once CQUI is released, is it now allowed to use it for GOTM games?

13. leif erikson

14. comatosedragon

comatosedragon Chieftain

No it does not. It is the same mod referenced when this thread was created. It's just a UI mod.

15. leif erikson

My understanding was that it had a minor effect on game play. Before we approve it, I need to know it does not as it would cause those using it to be playing a different game.

16. comatosedragon

comatosedragon Chieftain

17. leif erikson

18. BWS

BWS Big Bradd Wolfe

Purely UI mods do not affect saved games, but CQUI does. That could just be an oversight, but I suspect that some of their features like the production queue require it. Arguably, the production queue is a gameplay change, as it allows certain micromanagement styles that would not otherwise be possible.

19. BWS

BWS Big Bradd Wolfe

Could you please clarify? I had not heard of this before. I thought mods that affect saved games could only be selected at start? Wouldn’t it break the game to add such a mod after start? Is there any discussion of this elsewhere?

20. comatosedragon

comatosedragon Chieftain

It's an undocumented change, I found out by accident. I had some ui mods (surikrats ui tweaks, suzerain at a glance, and unique district icons) and loaded an old GOTM, the UI mods were active. That means when CQUI comes out, we should be able to play GOTM games with it; pending moderator approval, of course.

I made a coment about it in the "Undocumented Changes" thread, but no one really paid attention.