Useful decimal to binary stuff? (math)

You can start from the left, double the previous result, add the digit and repeat until you reach the right.
I'd apply a 3rd math base when using uppi's method if the binary number is large enough.

[Binary] 100,110,011,100,011,000,000,000,000,000,000 -> [Octal] 46,343,000,000

[Decimal]
8*0 + 4 = 4
8*4 + 6 = 38
8*38 + 3 = 307
8*307 + 4 = 2,460
8*2460 + 3 = 19,683
8^6 * 19683 = 5,159,780,352
[/Decimal]

Last edited:
I am more interested in how to generate a binary if you have enough other binaries. Ie some way to make the binary generate itself (as the corresponding "set", in binary). Then, hopefully, one can rely on a few strategic and easy to recall/quickly calculate binary to decimal values.
Calculating by an algorithm will take forever when you reach large numbers, even with the method uppi suggested (which is good, btw! at least when it allows you to avoid 2^10000 or similar, and maybe it can also be worked more easily in a continuous sum). That said, I only need those methods (as fast as possible) to check stuff I can use in coming up with a different approach - since, ultimately, the end goal here isn't to know any specific value, else I could just use a computer :D

Fascinating thread, but it should be noted that math was invented by white people and should be as such ignored and probably buried and never looked at again.
Beware of the Math Nazis!
ICH BIN EIN POLYNOMIAL!

At least it wasn't invented by germans - that would have been bad.
Let's face it though, it'd never happen ^_^
The numbers have been discovered by the ancient human kinds. All math bases have been existed in the universe long before the humans on the Earth.

Dinosaurs have the hands and the feet too, how do you know they've never learned the math?

Actually I am not of the view that math is cosmic. I think that it more than likely is an emergent property of bio matter of earth species, which can be picked up to some degree when the being is intelligent (with some help from practical use too; I doubt whales need to count money).

Various creatures on earth present math qualities, but it should be guessed that other than man likely none are conscious of it being a thing. Eg some sea-shells have golden-ratio tied spirals, dogs move in geometric manner, humans have rather glaring geometric ratios (eg Vitruvian man) etc. That humans observe this as math, seems to be unique, and I am of the view that math itself - in this respect - is anthropic, and possibly overall Gaian, not cosmic.

I don't think "math is the universal language of the cosmos". It's just the inevitable lingua franca among humans who speak of such matters.

Last edited:
You know, due to the small number of different symbols (2), it would have been really useful if there was some similar property regarding addition of the digits, to the one in decimal where any number is divisible by 9 if its digits add up to 9.
You likely can't hope to find something of this type if you just add the digits one by one as in decimal, but maybe (?) given enough numbers of digits there is still some similar property of division with other numbers in binary? Anyone know of such a property?
It wouldn't help much to note that any number is divisible by 1 (the largest in the 0,1 set), sadly :D But perhaps there are division patterns having to do with adding the binary digits.

Maybe I can find a way of using infinite sequences with some clear pattern. Eg the following

upload_2020-12-11_18-41-0.png

is a famous example by Turing, of how to construct a machine which will print 001011011101111011111... etc

To the right are the five different possible configurations of this machine (or the "m-configuration", to use a terribly german sounding term, though I suspect it just means "multi-configuration"). The machine starts by printing əə0, then going two places to the right, then printing 0 and then going two places to the left (so it ends on the square with the first of the two printed 0). Then it switches configuration to "o". Since it will find 0 there, it is ordered to immediately go to configuration q, without doing anything. In q it will move two places to the right (thus ending on the second of the printed 0) and this time it is ordered to re-run configuration q, so it will move two squares to the right of that. Due to this, when it runs q (for the third time in a row) it will find no symbol, so will print "1" and go one place to the left. At this point the printed sequence will be: əə0 0a1, and you are in the position I marked as a.

I like how Turing writes, without bothering to tell you why he did anything. Very Heraklitan :p
I'd rather he had presented the function, but I suppose it was too trivial so one has to do with əs and xs to force the machine to form the sequence, given the machine has the ability to also erase (E) a symbol.

Last edited:
Actually I am not of the view that math is cosmic. I think that it more than likely is an emergent property of bio matter of earth species, which can be picked up to some degree when the being is intelligent (with some help from practical use too; I doubt whales need to count money).

Various creatures on earth present math qualities, but it should be guessed that other than man likely none are conscious of it being a thing. Eg some sea-shells have golden-ratio tied spirals, dogs move in geometric manner, humans have rather glaring geometric ratios (eg Vitruvian man) etc. That humans observe this as math, seems to be unique, and I am of the view that math itself - in this respect - is anthropic, and possibly overall Gaian, not cosmic.

I don't think "math is the universal language of the cosmos". It's just the inevitable lingua franca among humans who speak of such matters.
I don't have the same conclusion, but I'm open to this one.

Maybe I can find a way of using infinite sequences with some clear pattern. Eg the following

View attachment 578042

is a famous example by Turing, of how to construct a machine which will print 001011011101111011111... etc

To the right are the five different possible configurations of this machine (or the "m-configuration", to use a terribly german sounding term, though I suspect it just means "multi-configuration"). The machine starts by printing əə0, then going two places to the right, then printing 0 and then going two places to the left (so it ends on the square with the first of the two printed 0). Then it switches configuration to "o". Since it will find 0 there, it is ordered to immediately go to configuration q, without doing anything. In q it will move two places to the right (thus ending on the second of the printed 0) and this time it is ordered to re-run configuration q, so it will move two squares to the right of that. Due to this, when it runs q (for the third time in a row) it will find no symbol, so will print "1" and go one place to the left. At this point the printed sequence will be: əə0 0a1, and you are in the position I marked as a.

I like how Turing writes, without bothering to tell you why he did anything. Very Heraklitan :p
I'd rather he had presented the function, but I suppose it was too trivial so one has to do with əs and xs to force the machine to form the sequence, given the machine has the ability to also erase (E) a symbol.
Are you aware of cellular automata? Mr Wolfram made them trendy for a little while. I decided they did not seem to model anything I was familiar with, but they are all about patterns with numbers.

I just learned something something if you use an xor function on all the digits of the values in an array of they are in binary, you can create a hash value, check it against a second array turned into a single binary value with the same method and then when you lay them together the resulting value is the difference, and you don’t need to iterate the arrays against the other arrays.

Reminds me of phase cancellation.

Are you aware of cellular automata? Mr Wolfram made them trendy for a little while. I decided they did not seem to model anything I was familiar with, but they are all about patterns with numbers.

Interesting - I too can't say if this is applicable to finding patterns in actual binary arithmetic, though. How would one model a neighborhood for such a thing? (possibly the analogous neighborhood is itself what would have to be discovered, and could even be adaptive).

This might be of some use as well, if looking for percentage of some quality x of a binary number (viewed as a set), with the quality being calculated as a percentage:

upload_2020-12-15_11-32-36.png

It is basically the binomial coefficient (n k)*, itself tied to distributions (namely of k stuff out of n; the rest is about standard distributions in a set number of positions), multiplied by the x (here marked as "p") which is the percentage of the quality being there (goes from 0 to 1), raised to the power of the full number of manifestations of the element with the quality x, and then all that multiplied by the non-manifestation of the element with the quality x.

The above formula is of the probability mass function. But it can be edited a bit, to be usable with binary qualities. I might even just use the binomial coefficient and then add something different.

The good thing with (n k) is that it can be formulated also as a sequence of multiplications or a sequence of additions.

Last edited:
You may recall that, a while ago (some months ago), I asked for a proof (not by demonstration) that the knight chess piece can reach any square on the board, starting from anywhere.
While it is true that this is so, I got no proof which presents this in a generalized way. So now I can provide my own:
We will call the knight K, and say that K is a set of four positions a,b,c,d. The three first we will set as being in the same horizontal line, and write them as a1,a2,a3, and d is in the same vertical line with a3, so we will call it b3. We'll also allow that this set of four can alter its elements by pivoting from any ending element, so from a1 and b3, and define the pivot move as couples of mirror-symmetric relocations, at most 8, checked also by the board.
This means that K is also defined by having its one end act as the center of a circle, and the element next to b3 acting as a point in the circumference of that circle, thus making the circle be of radius=distance of a3 from a1= 2.
Given the chessboard has 2^6 squares (64), the number of distinct full circles (by which is meant circles that have a different square as the center, and full means they include all four possible circumference elements) is given by calculating how many circles of circumference=4 you can fit. Naturally you have to be at least 2 squares away from any edge, and to count all you have to include all those that differ exactly by 2 as well. You can think of this circumference4 circle as a point, also altering the chessboard to 1/4 of its size (cause your circle is a 4 circle). So 64/4=16= 2^4, which is how many of those full circles you can have (easy to check, eg starting from bottom left, the first circle covers the area inscribed in the square from a1,a4 to d1,d4, and you then add the analogous starting from b1,b4 to e1,e4 etc; there are in total 4 circles horizontally and 4 vertical groups formed by them, thus the total is 4(4)=16 )

img1

upload_2020-12-18_11-6-14.png

Now that we know the number of full circles formed (ie the number of positions on the chessboard from where the Knight has all its 8 moves available), we can check for part-circles. Those are of the same number as squares from which the knight has 2-7 moves available on an empty board. But instead of coming up with a construction of those multiple cases, we can calculate their numerical relation to that of the full circle, and we do that by examining the possible shifts of the chessboard when the full circles are on display: moving the chessboard (erasing one line) to the left would cancel all of your vertical circles and one of the horizontal ones, so from 2^4 you'd go to 3^2. But we also notice that adding the removed line to the other side, the right side, we are able to once again construct a new circle there, returning to 2^4. And the same is true for removing a vertical line and adding it to the other end. From this follows that regardless of how close the Knight is to the edge of the altering chessboard, it will retain the ability to form 16 full circles, and from this follows that the "alterable" full circles are 8(8) (this is the number of possible line relocations) the original full circle number, therefore they are 2^6. But 2^6 is also the number of squares on the board, so you have as many centers, thus as many positions the Knight can take.
The above needs another addition to be a proof of the movement ability of the Knight (cause up to know we started by hypothesizing the knight having as the center of the circle each of the squares in a given line differing by two at the very least from the edge of the board, and showed that if this is possible then all squares can host the knight. So we only have to show that the Knight can indeed position itself in the 4(4) central tiles of the board. Here is a proof of that:

The square is 4(4), and we want to show that from any starting position on it, the Knight will reach (given enough moves) all of the tiles:

Figure 2
upload_2020-12-18_11-28-39.png

Obviously no full circle can occur here (we have a circumference of 3 here, while 4 is needed; moreover, these full circles would need an even integer as circumference, cause the center occupies a full square and thus isn't counted). But we can instead examine this as distinct cases of distributions of the 4 elements of "Knight", and their possible progressive relocations (factoring their own new starting distributions). Say the Knight begins at the southwestern edge of the 4(4) board shown in figure 2. It has two possible relocations, one with the unique row element ending at e4, the other ending at d5. Noticing that this all occurs within a 3(3) square, we say that in 3(3) the Knight can occupy 3 squares (the two mentioned and the starting one, which was c3). We also notice that it could only occupy one square in a 2(2) square or smaller, and that there is a possibility to occupy just one in a 3(3) if and only if it starts at its center. But given we only have to show the Knight can reach any other square of the 4(4) if it starts on one, we'll say that it occupies an x and two ys, the ys being symmetric and the x on their axis of symmetry. This means that our triangle of starting position+two new positions currently has a distance a from its center of symmetry, allowing for the end points to differ by two squares at each direction. This isn't enough by itself to show evidence of covering a 3(3) square, cause 3 is not perfectly divisible by 2. However we can a second triangle (green triangles in figure 3) and then show that by connecting the end points we finally get a set with the center of symmetry allowing for a distance of one square from two end points, so allowing for all 3(3) squares to be reached by rotations and new positioning.

Figure 3

upload_2020-12-18_11-48-30.png

Meh, this is a rather tedious proof, of mixed methods, and I'd rather have a more elegant version. But it's a start. Ideally I'd like to express everything as progressive distributions of a set's elements within a region. :)

Your proof took longer to skim than the two days I just spent designing a search algorithm to get a knight to move to any location on a chess board a couple weeks ago xD

Your proof took longer to skim than the two days I just spent designing a search algorithm to get a knight to move to any location on a chess board a couple weeks ago xD

Proof by demonstration isn't what I am looking for - else I can just imagine the knight making all the moves without writing a thing. One of the two reasons such kind of "proof" isn't meaningful to me is that you can't generalize it, and no one is actually caring about a knight or chess here.

Proof by demonstration isn't what I am looking for - else I can just imagine the knight making all the moves without writing a thing. One of the two reasons such kind of "proof" isn't meaningful to me is that you can't generalize it, and no one is actually caring about a knight or chess here.
I know that's why I didn't offer it ;)

Top Bottom