Using SDK mods on a Mac

ripple01

Emperor
Hi all,

I am looking into getting a Mac, and wanted to see about compatibility issues with running the Windows version Civ4 on a Mac through a VM or as a last resort, Boot Camp. I do some SDK modding and would like to be able to continue that one way another should I go Mac. Any Mac users out there that are using SDK mods having any issues?

You can't run any mod that has a dll in the Mac version of CIV because for various reasons Aspyr did not use a dll for the master game but coded everything that is in the dll in the Windows version into the main game. Since the main game has no dll, it does not look for one and you can't use a custom dll.

However, if you install Windows in Boot Camp, it is just like having it on any other Windows computer. You will have to install the Windows version of CIV on Boot Camp of course. Although I have not tried it, other posters have said that Windows CIV runs fine under VMs Fusion and Parallels, although heavy graphics modding does slow it down a bit due to an extra layer of graphic interpreters.

Also, check out the graphics card that is in the Mac that you plan to purchase. There are some that are not up to the graphics of CIV, especially the integrated Intel graphics and some of the ones where you have an option on card choices. AlanH is pretty well up on this and should be along to comment before long.

I tried running Windows BTS via virtualization on my 2010 MBP i7 15". It's fine for BTS but pretty miserable for graphics heavy mods. I only have 4GB of RAM though and that just wasn't enough to go around for OSX, Windows and the 2GB that modded BTS needs.

In conclusion I don't recommend virtualization of BTS for mods unless you have at least 6GB RAM and a good graphics card. Always choose ATI/AMD where possible, Nvidia has substandard drivers on Mac. Don't go anywhere near the Intel integrated cards.

Maybe we should arrange a phone conference with the supporting division:D of Aspyr, Austin:

And of course you could always call us:
1-512-708-8100
Monday-Friday
10am-6pm CST

Really, we are here to help.

It says on their website:
The greatest Mac publisher, ever.

Or we collect money. Everybody who can afford to give away 5 dollars, rupees, florins, sends it via Paypal to a depository account. I suggest Xyth as our trustee;). We may be surprised, how many people are going to support our issue. They may, too. The thinking, "why would we be releasing a patch of a years old video game to make ten people happy who live behind the moon", will be proven false! With that, we'll make the offer to cover the expense of Aspyr's, for we don't expect anybody to work unpaid. Sounds naïve? I think, that's a plan;)!

Great, thanks for all the answers. I just want to make sure I can continue my modding one way or another, even if I have to reboot as a last resort. :)

I'm torn on biting the bullet now, or waiting for the iMac refresh. Everything I'm reading says it should be coming pretty soon...

Top Bottom