UU Chaining

bendyhero01

Chieftain
Sometimes unique units get promotions that pass on. What do you think is the best chain you can get?

I've tried as Poland
Landsknechts-->Winged Hussars-->Anti-Tank Gun-->Helicopter Gunship
Landsknechts give the No Movement Cost to Pillage and the Double Plunder which gives double gold when capturing a city.
Winged Hussars get Heavy Charge which pushes units back, more strength and one more movement than the Lancer. With 5 movement and free pillaging, this unit can heal up completely burn down large swaths of land and still get out of city range. The unit is great for capturing cities with its movement and Double Plunder.
The Anti-Tank Gun give bonus towards tanks, but is a downgrade from the lancer, tech Computers right after to get Helicopters.
The Helicopter Gunship has 6 base movement, hovers, but unfortunately cannot capture cities. Leave city capturing to tanks.

By now your Helicopter Gunship has free pillaging, bonus vs tanks, at least 6 movement, and probably march, bonus vs. wounded, among other combat bonuses.
The free pillaging with at least 6 movement is absolutely devastating, costing the enemy happiness, strategic resources, roads, while providing you with gold, health, and experience.

That is an interesting strategy I will try it out for sure. I usually play as Poland and commerce is always my second tree so it won't hurt me in any way.

My preferred chain is English Longbow. That +1 range stays with it all the way up to and including Bazookas (with BNW)

I'd say the celts have something similar with the pictish warrior. They'd get the outside home borders combat bonus but miss out on the plunder and winged hussar bonuses.

The Danish also have a good chain, since both of their UU are in the same line. By the end, the infantry line will have the berserker amphibious promotion, and the Norwegian Sky Infantry double speed and +25% in hills/tundra/snow. That movement can get pretty nasty with their UA, since you keep all your embarked movement when you disembark. Also get the free pillaging from the UA.

Minuteman is also very good. No movement penalty opens up a lot of options, and they're only 30xp from March if you have an Armory.

I love doing this. HakkapeCopters can be quite fun and versatile.

But acquiring them can get rather expensive. Purchase, upgrade each unit 3 times. It all adds up. But the free pillaging with those copters can help cover the cost sometimes.

Landsknecht -> Winged Hussar and Berserker -> Ski Infantry are probably the best and most accessible UU chains overall, considering only chains where one unique or special unit upgrades to another. I've tried the Winged Landsknechts myself, coming out of a city with barracks, armory, military academy, and Brandenburg Gate. It's nice to have so many promotions that they don't all fit in the promotions bar.

The fact that militaristic CS can gift unique units allows for some potentially interesting combos of that CS's unique unit with your own. I can't think of any good combinations right now, but there should be some powerful ones out there.

keshik CS gifts are the best though. sure, some of the promotions become useless once upgraded to cavalry UU's, but the extra exp bonus made up for it.

CS gifted kris swordsman (with a nice promotion) upgraded into either minutemen or janissary...

CS gifted kris swordsman (with a nice promotion) upgraded into either minutemen or janissary...

Mohawk Warriors upgrading into Minutemen aren't half bad either. Fast movement and strength bonuses in Forests.

I also like a Jaguar Warrior that upgrades to a Spearman via a goody hut and then onto a Lancer. You get a unit that has 4 moves in Forest, excellent for harassing and pillaging.

Top Bottom