Version 1.96 posted (comments thread)

All the graphics worked fine for me in 1.951, but I notice three apparent bugs in 1.96:

* pink squares for polytheism and astrology - not in the normal displays, but when they come up in the chooser on the main map (across the top of the screen, or in the panel on the right-hand side)
* when you get one of the technologies that is prerequisite for Bowmen (I think composite bow), they show up with a gold border that is otherwise used for wonders

I like the look of the new religion icons! But they're a little less legible - the Eye of Horus is, at first glance, just a dark squiggle, while the old icon was a bright yellow dot that was easy to distinguish from the others.

There are several new maps in 1.96 - the really-crowded middle east map that's fun for a normal or quick game but really exploitable, a large map, a small map... The most fun I've had recently was the fertile crescent map being put together over in the scenarios thread, but it could use a few more civilizations before it becomes official (which I hear they're working on).

Kidinnu said:
All the graphics worked fine for me in 1.951, but I notice three apparent bugs in 1.96:

* pink squares for polytheism and astrology - not in the normal displays, but when they come up in the chooser on the main map (across the top of the screen, or in the panel on the right-hand side)
* when you get one of the technologies that is prerequisite for Bowmen (I think composite bow), they show up with a gold border that is otherwise used for wonders
QUOTE]

Pink square noted and removed. As for the religions icon, thanks for the comments, I'll make a brighter, more clear one for the next version!;)

On the huge map, I sited a Babylonian lion/warrior near the Alps.

It’s a real challenge to find a single trading partner.

It’s not game breaking, but it sure is easy to produce great artists.

I like the new icons. So far my new game is going well. Has the area around Persia on the huge map been improved? It seems better...

I'm glad that there is work on graphics. The graphics change that I would like most is wonder movies/still-graphics and wonder buildings in my cities. Things that add to to the flavor and give a greater sense of accomplishment...

Hypnotoad said:
I like the new icons. So far my new game is going well. Has the area around Persia on the huge map been improved? It seems better...

I'm glad that there is work on graphics. The graphics change that I would like most is wonder movies/still-graphics and wonder buildings in my cities. Things that add to to the flavor and give a greater sense of accomplishment...

Thanks!

Don't despair, all these are also planned. But I,m concentrating on more basic stuff for the moment... All buttons are almost finisheed now, so I'll move on to unit skinning, so we don
't have anymore look-alikes nor a woman flying around with a gun as a spy;)...

Keep in mind that in the end, ALL will be changed graphiocalwise in TAM, including the HUD (we plan to have a different one for each era!), so the wonder movies will also be. One day, there'll even be 3d leaderheads!!!!!

I'm gonna start a Graphics thread so any ideas you guys have, I can hear of. The graphics are 100% moddable, so...

Thanks again!

Perhaps you should make this file available on the Civfanatics data base and suggest that people download it there. I noticed that there is a section for "top downloads" that some people might use for finding new mods to play. You might attract new players this way...

I only launched civ IV to check this, but it looks like the peltests now work for me and my crappy graphics card. :)

I know how hard it can be to track down bugs sometimes, so thanks for fixing it.

Cham

I must say I am truly loving these new icons, I don’t know why I love them so much but I do another reason not to go back to the old game :) . We are having some weird multiplayer issues that I am wondering if anyone else is having. We have played two sessions of multiplayer with this new version and when the game starts I can get in no problem but either both my friends or just one will crash I am hosting. To get around the problem I then save the game after they have crashed restart the game with this new save and it works. This is really strange and has not been any issue in the 6 other games of TAM that we played multi. We can all get in the game single player with no crashes btw.

All in all its great the barbarians on the Fertile Crescent map huge don’t seem over powered just makes you cautious as you should be.

Love the mod.

Just please new boat models if possible all those Vikings longboats are starting to get to me :lol:

I havent downloaded yet, will try it out tomorrow night, after work. Have the trireme graphics from Warlords been implemented?

I don't think we're allowed to bting Warlods models in plain Civ4, copyrights and stuff... Gotta check with Thamis... But anyways, at one point Triremes will have their model...

Perdant said:
I must say I am truly loving these new icons, I don’t know why I love them so much but I do another reason not to go back to the old game :) . We are having some weird multiplayer issues that I am wondering if anyone else is having. We have played two sessions of multiplayer with this new version and when the game starts I can get in no problem but either both my friends or just one will crash I am hosting. To get around the problem I then save the game after they have crashed restart the game with this new save and it works. This is really strange and has not been any issue in the 6 other games of TAM that we played multi. We can all get in the game single player with no crashes btw.

All in all its great the barbarians on the Fertile Crescent map huge don’t seem over powered just makes you cautious as you should be.

Love the mod.

Just please new boat models if possible all those Vikings longboats are starting to get to me :lol:

Thanks! Soon, all the units will also have that kind of buttopns! Also, for the boats, they're in the next step of the graphic modding, as while I'm making the units button, I'm also revising all units. I tell you already, 1.97 will be big on gfx!

What about making the Persians organized instead of expansive? I tried to conquer Babylon (War ina Babylon!) and create a proper Persian empire, but I found the upkeep costs crippling. Since Persia had one of the huge empires in the area, I think organized would make sense.

I encountered a fatal error in version 1.96 (civ4 version 1.61):

Playing Aeetes on fertile crescent (huge map), ending my turn i get the "declare war" sound and the game closes to desktop without message. Testing some reveals it is Kroisos declaring war on me. If i declare war on someone that turn and end it, game proceeds normally. (Kroisos declares war and lands units via transport galleys)

Sarmatian Chieftain had declared war on me with no error.

Unfortunately the saved game is too big to attach it as file in this forum; if someone feels like testing it, send me your email via pm... I'd like to have it crosschecked in case my civ4 program is corrupt in some way!

Thanks in advance,
Schlappi

Edit: I just noticed a file named ThemeParseLog in my civ4 root folder, containing the following:

[Aug 24, 2006 - 10:42:00] Messages while processing 'Resource/Themes/Civ4.thm'

Error : Decl - ('Civ4Theme_Common.thm', Ln:401, Col:13) Assignment source propertyId 'SF_CtrlTheme_Civ4_Control_Font_Size3_Italic' not found
Error : Decl - ('Civ4Theme_Common.thm', Ln:402, Col:13) Assignment source propertyId 'SF_CtrlTheme_Civ4_Control_Font_Size3_BoldItalic' not found
Error : Decl - ('Civ4Theme_Common.thm', Ln:408, Col:13) Assignment source propertyId 'SF_CtrlTheme_Civ4_Control_Font_Size1_Bold' not found
Error : Decl - ('Civ4Theme_Window.thm', Ln:3048, Col:9) Assignment source propertyId 'SF_CtrlTheme_Civ4_Control_Font_Size1_Bold' not found

Edit #2: Another error: When loading a saved game the game sometimes locks up during the "initiating graphics" screen

Not sure if these are known bugs... or even just problems with my installation but I have experienced a number of flaws in this latest patch.

1) Can't build Lumbermills. There is no button for it nor does the hotkey work. The AI manages to build them though.

2) I have had a number of Python exceptions throughout the game - I haven't made a note of them so far (too busy conquering at the time) but I can do in future if it would be helpful. These exceptions don't cause any real problems - just click "ok" and continue.

3) Every now and then I get a message = "You have plundered 20 Gold" between turns.

4) There's 1 more thing but I can't remember!! :p I will add it when I do! ;)

I extracted straight into the main Civ folder and I am using a pc.

Having had a fairly long break from Civ (and all gaming unfortunately) the only thing I can think of is that perhaps I was playing around with some files in the past that have led to this problem.

Really, I was hoping that you were going to say these were known issues so that i wouldn't have to totally reinstall everything!!!

Well, it's worth it anyway - Civ 3 became a mere shell with which to play TAM anyway and I am sure that CIV will follow suit.... so it's worth it to get this working right! ;)

Top Bottom