Version 1.97 posted

It is slightly hard to find. It isn't in the news page, only on the downloads page. But I finally found it and am downloading anxiously!

I believe there is a problem with the roman city names. Maybe it's just me.

This is one of my favorite mods. Thanks for making me spend dozens of hours in front of my computer =D.

Oh my, this looks so awesome! All new graphics... And really high quality ones. Too bad I will have to uninstall it and reinstall 1.96 to play the succession game.

My favorite aspect so far: the new graphics for the ships. Both functional and cool: they look at lot better and now you can tell them apart. Very nice.

Second favorite: the new graphics for the Greek Phalanx. I started building more just because I wanted to look at them.

Too bad this is a day too late for the front page "new mod" list. You should figure out some way to get it more publicity.

I love the new graphics, they are pretty, especially the ships.
Still, the city health/happiness/religion icons need some tweaking:
Unhealthyness is not shown at all, unhappiness appears as unhealthy symbol, and every religion icon has a small star as if it was the holy city...
Other than that, great work!

wow, I have been missing a lot lately. Will be trying the new version in the weekend and will post about Civics too.
WTG Laurino !

1.97 looks good, but still plays SO SLOWLY. Really, guys, antiquity did not develope so slowly (I know since I taught ancient history for 25 yrs.) and as a game the only reason I don't fall asleep is that I get so frustrated. In the next version, please, please cut down the tech development times for the early techs and speed up the workers. Also, giving a worker and another tribal warrior or scout at start up would not be inappropriate.

What game speed are you playing on? I don't find much of a problem on normal.

Back in the bad old days, tech development times were much quicker. There was a real problem with people having researched all of the techs by 200 AD. To combat this, Thamis slowed down the time it takes for cottages to develop and he increased the cost of techs. I find it a much more satisfying game right now. Perhaps the very first tier techs costs could be decreased without much loss. What, in particular, seems inappropriate to you?

the mod is having ctd problems when going to next turn. It started after 40 turns.

No its not my computer. Only TAM 1.97 crashes like this. The rest of the mods i play do not crash.

Hmm, maybe there is an artdefines missing for one of the units? Laurino did add a lot of new graphics, so it is entirely possible for him to have missed something.

The combat animations seem significantly longer than on the previous version, any idea why this happens? It makes the game seem slow.

I made this suggestion a while ago, but I'll make it again now: I'd like it if the calander slowed down earlier. It seems weird that from 400-500 AD one turn is one year, but you rip through Greece and Rome's Golden ages at 20 years a turn or so. Any chance things could start to really slow down around 450 BC or so? I think this might help with Jimmy Geo's complaint as well.

Hi,
first thanks for the great work, I love the new graphics, but with me v1.97 crashes. It now happened for the third time, always somewhere AD. It does not seem connected to building a certain wonder or doing research (I changed that all from a saved game several turn earlier). May be it is something with the new graphics, for it never happened with v1.96.
Two times I played Egypt, once Lydia.

In the Lydian game I just captured a barbarian city.
In one Egyptian game I had laid siege to Sidon with the Lydians as allies.

Waterloo

k since only minor XML changes were made in 1.97 apart from the new graphics, and only units gfx were added in 1.97, it HAS to be that. If you guys have saved games of prior to your crashes, post them, I'll check them out. In the meantime, I'll look at the files myself and will auto-run the game to see where it crashes. We'll have a fix for that as soon as the bug is found, sorry for the inconvenience.

Carthaginian War Elephants don't gain experience or promotions? Is that a bug or intentional?

I'm playing the huge med map.

I also notice that load times seem significantly longer now? Not sure why.

Also, the religious icons for holy city seem to be messed up. For example, the icon for the religion with a star next to it should only appear in the holy city, but on the huge map at least (haven't tried 1.97 on normal map yet) several cities get the holy city emblem.

Additionally, I like how javelineers come with woodworking.

I do have som suggestions for the huge map, which I will break down later, using coordinates.

I always play on epic speed and the game flows just about right, except in the very beginning, say from 5000 to 2500 BC. Hardly anything seems to happen, but the rest of the game does flow well for me.

In the Fall From Heaven 2 Mod, Kael did something that reduced load times significantly (for some people from 10 minutes to 30 seconds). I think it had something to do with when the art was being loaded. Given all the new art, that might be the culprit here. Laurino: you might want to PM him.

K I wrote to Kael for the loading time, and I'm waiting to see what they did in FfH. As for the CTDs, I found a bad tag in the unit art file, and corrected. In my game, the Steppe Marauder wouldn't show properly (big red half-sphere), but the game didnt crash. In fact, I ran the game on automatic several times yesterday night, and never got it to crash. I'm posting the fix for the art file, please check if your game still crashes after the correction. If this doesn't work, I'll need saved games of just before the crash.

Unpack the zip in :
...\The Ancient Mediterranean\Assets\XML\Art\

it'replace the old one and fic the Steppe Marauder graphics.

Attachments

• Steppe_Marauder_Fix.zip
    5.4 KB · Views: 284
Top Bottom