1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Version 2.7 discussion

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Rise of Mankind' started by zappara, Mar 20, 2009.

1. Abraxis

Abraxis Emperor

I still think Hemp should be more valuable.
    From wikipedia:

"Hemp seeds contain all the essential amino acids and essential fatty acids necessary to maintain healthy human life"

"hemp was a popular fiber because it is strong and grows quickly; it produces 250% more fiber than cotton"

"Hemp shives are the core of the stem. In EU, they are used for bedding (horse bedding for instance), in construction (hemp concrete) or for horticultural mulch"

"Biofuels such as biodiesel and alcohol fuel can be made from the oils in hemp seeds and stalks, and the fermentation of the plant as a whole, respectively. Filtered hemp oil can be used directly to power diesels. The inventor of the diesel engine, Rudolf Diesel, used hemp oil to power his new engine, and assumed that it would be run in the future on hemp oil."

"Cannabrick construction is construction using the woody inner core from the cannabis plant. This part of the plant is THC free (i.e. hemp) and is used in housing construction."

That's not to mention the the ropes, clothing and canvases, and the fact that it's one of the few plants that will leave the soil more fertile after growth, rather than sucking all the nutrients out like most other crops...

I mean, you can do ANYTHING with this plant! it's Magical, but all it does in ROM is provide 1 happiness :(

2. Ironmann

Ironmann Chieftain

I cant wait for the 2.7 version wich I hope will be more stable than feature rich like the 2.6
    But one think that I've been wondering about wich quite dont fit in in any of the threads but what the heck here I go.

If\when the new civilization comes out will you be modding that to if its similar modfriendly like Civ IV? and how fast theoretical will that mod be out? I cant seriously remember the last time I played a vanilla Civ game:)

Keep the great work up;)

3. konradcabral

konradcabral Prince

I've been asking for soy and chicken for a long time too... :(

Shrimp is great add, always thought that there was need for more water resources. The only thing about sea resources that I still miss is salt. Could be the perfect solution for the lack of salt (and glass) in some games.

4. Deon

Deon Lt. of Mordor

Uh, normally chicken is not a civilization-wide resource :).

Sea salt sounds great.

5. Lachlan

Lachlan Great Builder of Civs !

What about "Alice's Adventures in Wonderland" of Lewis Carroll, because its universal now...
    Bonus proposed : one free artist + 5 gold :goodjob:

6. Munger

Munger Dietary

Zap, will there be any interim versions between 2.62 and 2.7? Just thinking that with several quick wins going in it makes sense to release a version with these instead of waiting ages just for the new future era. :)

7. Munger

Munger Dietary

Just a thought; is Fermentation the right tech to enable apple orchards? Must admit I'm no expert but I would have thought apples were harvested for their use as simple fruit long before they were harvested for fermentation purposes.

8. Retrospect

Retrospect Warlord

I think you have just stumbled on Zaps achilles heal..... he can only see the value in them as a means to make alcohol..... didn't realise that hoary old wizard staggering around the park that I drive past every day was actually Zappara :lol:

9. Revolutionist

Revolutionist Chieftain

What he said. The sea is definately lacking on variety.

Thanks for the changes on the resource placement for the next version, Zap.
    Salt always seems far too rare.

Though never noticed a lack of ivory, myself. But mileage may very. Maybe my games are making off with the finite supply of digital elephants, leaving less for other people's Civ4 copies.

On an unrelated note, has anyone else found that Highways and Railroads come a bit too close together in the tech tree? Seems like I don't end up getting more than a few on the ground before the great railroad expansion starts. Perhaps it's just my tech choices.

10. Deon

Deon Lt. of Mordor

I usually get railroads without researching highways naturally. I'd say, there should be different bonus. I.e. highways should give more bonus to towns/cities while railroads to production improvements like mines.

11. Retrospect

Retrospect Warlord

I think you may well have hit on something there.... like the idea!

12. Deon

Deon Lt. of Mordor

New resouces' icons are in archive, along with modified gamefont.tga and gamefont_75.tga

Beer, cement, nanobots, wool, tea.

Attached Files:

13. Bezhukov

Bezhukov Deity

And the necessity of cutting down a forest to establish an apple orchard (whereas, say, pigs are evidently allowed to roam free in the woods) is one of the stranger aspects of RoM.

Again, voting against natural resource spam. More interesting things to do with resources, less resources. Unless, of course, you visualize eventually every tile having its own resource, as my beef is with the relative scarcity of each resource impeding trade.

14. reconverse

reconverse Chieftain

My thoughts exactly!

Most of the time I like it realistic, just like the rest of the game... But an option could be nice but in my opinion it's just something extra with very loooooooooow priority.

15. zappara

zappara Mod Designer

Shhhh! Don't reveal it to everyone! :lol: In RoM tech tree Fermentation is not in "accurate" spot, there has been debates that fermentation (ie. Beer making) was originally the reason why people started agriculture so if actually fermentation should be pre-req for agriculture - but I placed it to different spot just because I didn't want to go through the trouble of changing all starting techs...

Good point. :)

Nice work again! This speeds up my resource editing so much... :)

So forests should stay for apple and olive orchards - that's something to think about.

About natural resources, while I'm trying to make better manufactured resources, I might have to add few new natural resources as materials needed for making the manufactured resource (f.ex. Silicon could be such => semiconductors). Another point is that most earth like maps have 70% of water and there's only handful of water resources so for water plots we could add more natural resources (deep sea methane gas resources is one that I've thought about). Glass production might need changes as well, instead of salt it's actually made with "soap" (natriumcarbonate or something) + sand. Soap was originally made from animal fat.

16. Charano

Charano Chieftain

Since I have no idea of whats possible and not, I'll just post my two most wanted functions..

One thing I've been wishing for is different game speeds, depending on which era you've in. I'm imagining an option when starting a custom game, to choose what game speeds should be used for each era (example: play up to modern with quick, and the change to snail, and back to quick when you've gotten all techs (post-future:crazyeye:)).

Another thing I've been thinking of: I usually play with domination and conquest as the only victory conditions. It would be great to have an option to build the UN or Apostolic Palace and have all resolutions (and maybe new ones?) except for victory (IMO, it would add a to the diplomatic area of the game).

Thanks for a great mod! :)

btw.. Is there an option to get e-mails when new versions of RoM is available? I'm quite new to the forum..

17. Deon

Deon Lt. of Mordor

But they are here... If you switch victories off, UN and Apostolic Palace are still in the game, even in vanilla BTS.

18. zappara

zappara Mod Designer

I don't think it's possible to make the game to change gamespeed on-the-fly as gamespeed affects various things.

I think you can subscribe to threads and then get email notifications when the thread has new posts. I'll post info about each new patch to RoM Latest Version -thread so you could subscribe to that thread.

19. Dancing Hoskuld

Dancing Hoskuld Deity

Interesting idea but what will the AI do? I assume that they will do what the automated workers do and they can get very confused at times. For example in previous versions of RoM and some other mods at some point it became faster to travel on roads rather than by rail but the automatic workers and AI workers kept on replacing road with rail. There was no option to go back to road except by pillaging.

20. Retrospect

Retrospect Warlord

Been thinking about this one. If you were going to have an apple orchard you would not have any other trees within the orchard.... certainly no trees that would be used for manufacturing purposes ie lumber. So getting the +1 production for leaving the forest intact would not make sense in my opinion. I personally think that all plantations/orchards etc should have the forest/ jungle removed.... surely that is what placing the plantation simulates, the maximization of the land to accomodate the appropriate crop.