'Victory' conditions game effects

feydras

Prince
This idea is not new but worth another consideration i think. I'd like to see the Victory conditions have a major, near game breaking, game effect when turned to 'off'. I'm sure the community can come up with better ideas but i'll get the ball rolling...

Altar
* civ disappears off map and civ gets a huge point bonus. (the former was mentioned as intended by Kael i believe)
or
* all of civ's units get the immortal promo but it is permanent!

Tower of Mastery
* all new arcane casters of builder civ start with all mana spheres at level 1
or
* removes the ability to cast arcane magic from all units beside builder's civ.
or
* explodes all arcane units of non-builder civ and prevents building any more.

Religious
grants Permanent Alliance with each civ running that state religion

Cultural
eliminates all trade routes that don't lead to or from the civ acheiving it (All roads lead to Rome) AND grants + diplo bonus.

Domination
every non-allied civ declares war on you. (okay so this isn't a good thing but i like it anyway)

Score/Time
A little pop up that says "Congratulations, you've won a score victory. But really, is that any way to win?"

Purge the Puppetmasters = new victory condition of razing all religious shrines/holy cities in game. If done to all religious shrines but one that you own then defaults to a Religious 'victory'. Otherwise...
No further spread of any religion and civ that razes last shrine has alignment shift one notch to Evil

My comments in bold.

This idea is not new but worth another consideration i think. I'd like to see the Victory conditions have a major, near game breaking, game effect when turned to 'off'. I'm sure the community can come up with better ideas but i'll get the ball rolling...Also, would be good to have an option to disable or enable these effects.

Altar
* civ disappears off map and civ gets a huge point bonus. (the former was mentioned as intended by Kael i believe)
or
* all of civ's units get the immortal promo but it is permanent!
Both sound good to me, though I think a better way of implementing the second might be to make the Final Altar grant Immortality to units in its city (like earlier Altars do for Bless).

Tower of Mastery
* all new arcane casters of builder civ start with all mana spheres at level 1
or
* removes the ability to cast arcane magic from all units beside builder's civ.
or
* explodes all arcane units of non-builder civ and prevents building any more.
You left out Magister's suggestion of letting arcane casters cast spells of the next level up (Adepts get Mage spells, Mages get Archmage spells). I like the first one, but not the second or third ones.

Religious
grants Permanent Alliance with each civ running that state religion
Well, wouldn't this just instantly become a Domination victory then?

Cultural
eliminates all trade routes that don't lead to or from the civ acheiving it (All roads lead to Rome) AND grants + diplo bonus.
Like the diplo bonus, not sure on the trade routes thing.

Domination
every non-allied civ declares war on you. (okay so this isn't a good thing but i like it anyway)I like it too, though if you've already got the Domination you should be able to easily crush all the other civs anyway ;). Another interesting but silly idea is giving every unit (or perhaps just arcane/disciple unit classes) the Mind III promotion, so you can REALLY Dominate everyone :D.

Score/Time
A little pop up that says "Congratulations, you've won a score victory. But really, is that any way to win?"
Agreed. Time victories suck.

Purge the Puppetmasters = new victory condition of razing all religious shrines/holy cities in game. If done to all religious shrines but one that you own then defaults to a Religious 'victory'.
Too easy for a universal Victory condition IMO, although it actually sounds good as a special victory condition for the Grigori to replace the Religious victory.
Otherwise...
No further spread of any religion and civ that razes last shrine has alignment shift one notch to Evil

Isn't the game supposed to be over after one victory condition is met?
If you play a Custom Game you can disable or enable each victory condition. We're discussing possible fringe benefits to achieving a victory condition if it's disabled.

Isn't the game supposed to be over after one victory condition is met?

Not if you turn some victory conditions off. I almost never allow anything but Conquest.

You left out Magister's suggestion of letting arcane casters cast spells of the next level up (Adepts get Mage spells, Mages get Archmage spells).

I never suggested letting Adepts cast Mage spells. That would be harder to do (i.e., require python, and slow the game down a little.) I suggested using the existing <FreePromotion> and <bApplyFreePromotionOnMove> tags to give out Channeling 3 to all units in the city. (This also requires making Channeling 3 available to unitcombat_adept units, and making it require TECH_NEVER to that mages can't just purchase it.) The current schema only allows one promotion to be granted by a building, and xml wouldn't be able to give it out based on a specific unit eiher.

Adepts now don't get the second level of a spell sphere until they are upgraded to mages, so they can't get the level 3 spells until they upgrade. They do get the direct effects of channeling 3 though, i.e., the extra xp gain and lower chance to defend. This way also allows Gaelen to get Channeling 3 and cast archmage spells.

I never suggested letting Adepts cast Mage spells. That would be harder to do (i.e., require python, and slow the game down a little.) I suggested using the existing <FreePromotion> and <bApplyFreePromotionOnMove> tags to give out Channeling 3 to all units in the city. (This also requires making Channeling 3 available to unitcombat_adept units, and making it require TECH_NEVER to that mages can't just purchase it.) The current schema only allows one promotion to be granted by a building, and xml wouldn't be able to give it out based on a specific unit eiher.

Adepts now don't get the second level of a spell sphere until they are upgraded to mages, so they can't get the level 3 spells until they upgrade. They do get the direct effects of channeling 3 though, i.e., the extra xp gain and lower chance to defend. This way also allows Gaelen to get Channeling 3 and cast archmage spells.
Whoops, my bad. I didn't remember clearly and was too lazy to do a search.
Oh, and while you're here, just wondering about something. In the Strength of Will quote (something about fools not knowing what can be done with sufficiently focused thought), is the attributed Gaelan Sedracious, Mage Elder the same Gaelan as the event/guild one?

Well, I always disable anything but the Tower and it almost always ends in conquest anyway, but thanks for clearing this up.

alternative for altar: disciple units built in the city get +20 exp
tower of mastery: 1+ of every mana type
religious: forces every civ in the game to run that religion
cultural: i can't think of one to top your idea, maibe +x trade routes and +x trade route yield to boost?
domination: you've practically won the game already, doesn't need a boost, penalty may be a bit harsh though
time: "Aren't you quite done yet?"

alternative for altar: disciple units built in the city get +20 exp
It already gives 14xp, but I'd be fine with a little more
tower of mastery: 1+ of every mana type
This isn't really possible under the current schema. A building can only provide 3 tyes of resource, and must ive the same number of each. I guess you could make it give actual nodes or provide other free buildings though, via python. Actually, it might be nice if it allowed the construction of other buildings, each providing mana of another mana type.

I still like my way of giving out Channeling 3 to all arcane units in the city better though.

religious: forces every civ in the game to run that religion
How would this work with Agnostic leaders, or leaders banned from adopting specific religions (like Hyborem and Basium)?

Top Bottom