Video on the tech icon art from Civ 3

SuedecivIII

Warlord
Figured I'd post this video here because it's a seldom discussed topic that fascinates me. Who was in charge of tech art for Civ 3, and why are there so many bizarre choices? Things like, abstract shapes at weird angles floating in a void. Why is the rest of the art so good for Civ 3, including the leaderheads, but they seemed unable to produce a human face for the tech art?

Espionage_29.png
An example, look at how odd this guy's face is!

Just to be the first to say it; Ceremonial Burial has the Ankh symbol from ancient Egyptian religion, so it makes sense (Egypt, sarcophagus, burial).
Which was pointed out many times in the comments, I see. Also in the comments, but which I didn't know: Gunpowder is apparently the flintlock mechanism. The things we learn!
What is the picture you put next to the Chemistry symbol? And where is the hat-technology from?

I always wondered why Free Artistry has the wings (I guess it's the 'free' part). And also, Military Tradition looks like an ancient encampment to me, something you would see in a Germanic tribe or such. I never even noticed Space Flight and Integrated Defense reuse the same world/space image, how lazy.

Just to be the first to say it; Ceremonial Burial has the Ankh symbol from ancient Egyptian religion, so it makes sense (Egypt, sarcophagus, burial).
Which was pointed out many times in the comments, I see. Also in the comments, but which I didn't know: Gunpowder is apparently the flintlock mechanism. The things we learn!
What is the picture you put next to the Chemistry symbol? And where is the hat-technology from?

I always wondered why Free Artistry has the wings (I guess it's the 'free' part). And also, Military Tradition looks like an ancient encampment to me, something you would see in a Germanic tribe or such. I never even noticed Space Flight and Integrated Defense reuse the same world/space image, how lazy.
The hat was colonialism IIRC

Flintlock was news to be but the ankh I know. It is an abstract way of representing something that would be pretty easy to draw literally though.

Those two tech icons are from the conquest scenarios. The hat is the "colonization" tech. I guess it had been a while, and they were better at the icons, because some of the ones from the conquest are more normal. So, for example, the hat is on an appropriate background and not just floating in a void.

Military tradition is an epaulette! I can see what you mean though. I only just figured out a couple days ago what the computers icon was supposed to be. I thought it was just a diamond shaped tapestry hahah

Top Bottom