[NFP] Vietnam Discussion Thread

Why would he think she speaks with a southern accent when she's wayyyyy before when that becomes a thing?
It's usually healthy skepticism borne out of the fact most of the Vietnamese VAs available in the US would have learned Southern Vietnamese. Plus the narrator uses the southern ch when calling Trieu by name (Chiêu?). I.e. ty/ť/ть [c] instead of ch [t͡ɕ].
Though I don't think that will be the case here myself.

Sounds like we have quite a few vietnamese players here. :O Nice!
This is why I love these forums. So many new things you learn from other people from the other side of the world.

It is just a bit easier to find an ethnically Vietnamese person living in North America with a Southern accent, I guess. I mean her capital is Thang Long, also pretty anachronistic anyway.
Just curious what would her capital be?

At first she said "Ta là Triệu Trinh Nương [...] ta chào đón ngươi đến với Việt Nam [...]" which translates to "I am Lady Trieu Trinh [...] I welcome you to Vietnam". 'Nương' means 'lady'.

In the middle she says something about her armies and men and about their determination in protecting their homeland, probably to warn the invaders.

Near the end she says "Ta đã chờ ngày này từ rất lâu", meaning "I have been waiting for this day for so long". I guess that's her victory line.
YOU'RE A GOD! I finally got home and turned the volume on maximum and yes, she said the exact things you pointed out! I never figured this out before.
And I just realize Ba Trieu broke the record set by Lautaro to be the leader with the shortest lifespan in the Civ franchise (21 years).

YOU'RE A GOD! I finally got home and turned the volume on maximum and yes, she said the exact things you pointed out! I never figured this out before.
And I just realize Ba Trieu broke the record set by Lautaro to be the leader with the shortest lifespan in the Civ franchise (21 years).

So - to summarize (and you can wait until Thursday to answer) - are you hearing a Northern accent?

Joan of Arc (Civ3) died at the age of 19.

So - to summarize (and you can wait until Thursday to answer) - are you hearing a Northern accent?
The sentence at the beginning of the video is dubitable, at first I thought it was Southern (which I was pretty upset at :) ) but then the last sentence "something something rất lâu rồi" (for a long time) is definitely, 100% northern.
Joan of Arc (Civ3) died at the age of 19.
Woahhh, I don't even know that she passed away that young! Thanks for telling me!

There are several interesting lines left that I couldn't figure out after many tries. Can't wait to listen to all of them.

There are several interesting lines left that I couldn't figure out after many tries. Can't wait to listen to all of them.
This is from a youtube comment. The birds (lạc birds, or chim lạc in Vietnamese) on her belt and the multi-pointed star on her leather armguards are the two signature patterns of the Dong Son Bronze culture, most famously known for their bronze drums.
A typical Dong Son bronze drum has patterns like this on its surface.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dong_Son_culture
Shoutout to the art team of Firaxis. Didn't even see that coming.

Top Bottom