[NFP] Vietnam Discussion Thread

huh, weird. Vietnam CLEARLY has a majority religion.
Not that it matters to me- I'll always found Buddhism, when I am playing as Vietnam.
In a pinch, Shenism could stand in for Vietnamese folk religion.

This is from a youtube comment. The birds (lạc birds, or chim lạc in Vietnamese) on her belt and the multi-pointed star on her leather armguards are the two signature patterns of the Dong Son Bronze culture, most famously known for their bronze drums.
A typical Dong Son bronze drum has patterns like this on its surface.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dong_Son_culture
Shoutout to the art team of Firaxis. Didn't even see that coming.

I have little idea why didn't devs just choose the Lạc bird, instead of a turtle, as Vietnamese icon/flag.

On twitter Ed Beach said she has no preferred religion.

huh, weird. Vietnam CLEARLY has a majority religion.
Not that it matters to me- I'll always found Buddhism, when I am playing as Vietnam.

In a pinch, Shenism could stand in for Vietnamese folk religion.

Huh, I was going to set Trieu to Mahayana. Admittedly, sources on Trieu specifically are scant, but by like AD 190 North Vietnam was already a major regional center for Mahayana and Trieu was supposedly born of a noble family (before being orphaned or something). So, I was pretty sure Firaxis was going to go with Buddhism for her - I mean, even if maybe not completely accurate for Trieu, it's more accurate than their choices of Protestantism for Hardrada and Judaism for Dido. Vietnamese folk religion is also in the mod... actually, maybe not activated. There are a bunch of symbols in there that I coded but then never linked up for various reasons. I guess, I should get around to enabling it. *sigh* More work to do.

Last edited:
Ba Trieu's civilopedia quote:

Spoiler :
20210129011125_1.jpg

For those who were curious, Saigon is on the Vietnamese city list, and the files indicate that originally they planned to name their capital Hanoi, but decided later on to go with the more historical name of Thang Long.

It makes me consider other civ's city names and whether they should be updated to be more historical. Like, Qin's capital should be Xianyang instead of Xi'an, and Seondeok's capital should be Seorabeol instead of Gyeongju, for example.

So I was messing around a bit with Vietnam and noticed a thing I completely overlooked: Grove building effects stack.
So if you can create forested diamonds or triangles with them you can ge some very nice results.

Here is an example from my very first game, including the belief that gives +2 Faith on Breathtaking.
I am sure with some proper planning people can get really neat results.
Spoiler :

General first impression:
Vietnam starts a bit slow and restricted, but once you ge Medival Fairs you can turn every city into a production powerhouse thanks to Lumbermills.

I wonder if they can go for a city spam + preseve strategy. The culture bomb and yield benefits from those things look really great.

Addendum: I really like the feel when playing Vietnam. Lots of little things to keep track of than can provide benefits, for example moving into a feature acros a river to get the extra move next turn. Probably not very beginner friendly, but should be a great CIV for people that like to tinker or min-max.

Last edited:
Does Ba Trieu reuse any existing leaders idle stances? If so, who?

Top Bottom