Visual bugs

Lord Yanaek

Emperor
Would it be a good idea to keep those separate from the main bugs and crashes as they are related to Ea Media Pack, won't have hotfixes and logs are probably useless?

Known visual issues.
  • Copper Mine is invisible. Unimproved copper and pillaged mines show properly but not mines.
  • Cities sometimes disappear or have too few buildings visible for their size
  • Most custom resources show the uranium icon while they have custom icons in the media pack
  • Yew is sometimes invisible, sometimes not.

related to that Copper issue; In noticed in one game I played that in strategic mode the copper mine showed up as coal with a mine.

Would it be a good idea to keep those separate from the main bugs and crashes as they are related to Ea Media Pack, won't have hotfixes and logs are probably useless?
Logs are useless. Some of these will get fixed in regular versions, others will wait for next Media Pack version...

Keep adding to list in OP. These issues get pushed back whenever I'm tracking gameplay bugs, but the list helps a lot when I finally get to it...

Copper Mine is invisible. Unimproved copper and pillaged mines show properly but not mines.
Copper bug is really frustrating me, since all DB data appears correct. It's actually my own recolor of one of Horem's resources (tin or something like that). The gr2 might be broken in the original asset. If I can determine that for sure then I can probably get Horem to fix.

Cities sometimes disappear or have too few buildings visible for their size
I've seen this too after long autoplay sessions, but it's a total mystery to me. The only possible way I can ever solve this is if someone posts a save a turn before it happens. (Assuming it is replicable, but I don't even know that.) My best guess is that some late-game building I'm using has a broken or missing art asset and that crashes it. I know it is actually possible to CTD from some of the wonder-type city graphics (including coliseums and similar) if the "Position" column in the DB is wrong.

Yew is sometimes invisible, sometimes not.
Currently uses the base Spice resource art, which I thought was visible in forest. Yew has a special mechanic where it disappears if the forest is removed for any reason. So we just need a resource that shows well in forest. I'll look at Horem's and other resource sets to see if there is anything good for that...

Most custom resources show the uranium icon while they have custom icons in the media pack
related to that Copper issue; In noticed in one game I played that in strategic mode the copper mine showed up as coal with a mine.
Mostly this is due to uncompleted work. There are really three different art assets needed: the icon atlases, a separate dds file for strategic view, and then the font icons. Some of the inconsistency is from having one of those but not the others. In other cases (like copper) I don't like the existing one and (apparently) couldn't make up my mind on what placeholder to use.

The vanishing city bug seems to happen somewhat randomly in my experience, however I have noticed it tends to happen when completing a building or when a city gains a pop, for example it just happened to my Capital in my current game and this time it was caused by The Long Wall. Of course I've also noticed it right after founding a new city and that city will remain like that for the entire game.

Also I think I've seen the copper mine work once in a previous game but I could be mistaken about that.

Ultimately I'd be very happy if the vanishing cities was fixed sharpish, I like watching my cities grow in size so it really bugs me when they vanish haha.

@Bhall, I think you are right that it associated with some building (but not Long Wall, or not only that anyway). I really need a save to find the problem here. If I had a save from one turn before, then I could do some experimentation to figure out exactly what building causes the problem.

v6 may or may not have fixed the copper mine. It's a borrowed and modified art resource, and I found an extra file in the download that might have been the one I was supposed to use. Someone post if they see it fixed (or not fixed).

Sometimes?
In my recent Agartha game, several of my small satelite "cities" (Really little more than a wall and a castle in a hill city to guard one mountain pass or another) went invisible at one time or another. One City, Castle Rhysing, went invisible for a while while building walls but became visible again when the walls were completed. It then went invisible again some time later. But yeah. Building walls makes the invisible cities visible? Sometimes at least.

I have a load of saves from turns around then, but not exactly 1 turn before or after. I'm not sure how to upload saves though.

I'm not sure how to upload saves though.
Same as log or any other file that CivFanatics doesn't like. Just compress it into a .zip or .7z or .rar file. For Lua.log file, you can even just change extension to .txt, but I'm not sure if that would work with a save.

@Bhall, I think you are right that it associated with some building (but not Long Wall, or not only that anyway). I really need a save to find the problem here. If I had a save from one turn before, then I could do some experimentation to figure out exactly what building causes the problem.

Aye it's definitely not The Long Wall solely causing it as that was the first time I've built it. Unfortunately I didn't have auto-saving enabled during that game but I've enabled it for my new game so the moment it happens again I'll upload the save and the logs.

v6 may or may not have fixed the copper mine. It's a borrowed and modified art resource, and I found an extra file in the download that might have been the one I was supposed to use. Someone post if they see it fixed (or not fixed).

I'll keep my eye open for this.

It looks like the vanishing city bug will be hard to replicate. One of my cities just vanished so I saved then loaded the autosave from the previous turn, then clicked next turn and this time the city didn't vanish. I then loaded the one I just saved and the city that had vanished was visible again (I figure saving and then loading fixes the issue if only temporarily). Its probably worth noting the city was new as of a few turns ago and currently has no buildings built in it (Its building fishing boats).

Also I've just noticed the copper resource is invisible but the copper mine is now showing as a normal (Non-resource) mine.

EDIT: The saving and loading trick I mentioned above clearly doesn't work 100% of the time however, theres a city belonging to another civ that is currently invisible and has been for an unknown amount of time that wont reappear no matter how many times I reload (My guess is if you catch it on the turn it happens then reloading might fix it), I'm going to go through the last 5 autosaves (I have it set to keep the last 5 autosaves but I'll change that to keep as many as it will allow for further debugging in the future) and see If it becomes visible.

@Pazyryk Check these attached autosaves out:

AutoSave_Post_0249 AD-1695 - My Capital city is visible in this one.

AutoSave_Post_0250 AD-1700 - My Capital disappears in this one.

I tested it and going from turn 249 to 250 resulted in my Capital vanishing each time I tried so hopefully the same will happen when you try it. Hope this helps.

EDIT: Further testing has revealed that completing the Colosseum in any city will cause it to disappear, this building appears to be the main culprit behind this bug but it does seem to happen under different conditions as well. If a city disappears and you haven't built a Colosseum in it then try zooming out whilst looking at the city, this sometimes makes the city visible again (This only works on really small cites), you'll also notice that if you zoom in really close it vanishes again. If all else fails try saving and then reloading. If that fails go back through your auto saves and see if you can find the point where it vanishes and work out what caused it.

Attachments

• Saves & Lua.rar
    4.3 MB · Views: 203
Top Bottom